• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

restoration of a copper interior

I thought 66 had the smaller dia. column. 67 was larger because it's collapsible.

Good point about the GTX as I have no idea what's been done to that car and what is/isn't correct. Don't care for the color combo either. However, the Dark Copper, if close to correct, looks darker than my original dash color which is darker than the Medium Copper so I still think my hypothesis in post 16 is wrong.
Just my opinion, the dash color is not a medium copper or a dark copper. I think it is a brown with a hint of copper.

Be thankful you don't have to keep this copper lookin good! Good Luck
P8180501.JPG
P8180500.JPG
P8180504.JPG
P8180505.JPG
P8180506.JPG
P8180507.JPG
P8180508.JPG
P9290270.JPG

Here's a pic of the original dash in my 67 Satellite with the copper interior. Like Jerry said, I would call it a flat or matte brown metallic. When I had mine redone, the body guy used the copper body paint with a flattening agent. Came out close, but it's not as dark as the original and it has more gloss.

View attachment 994814 View attachment 994815
That looks much nicer than what was there originally. I pulled the dash board today had a few stripped nuts on the dash pad and didn’t want to ruin it. So I get to see some original paint under the pad and under bezels, it’s pretty ugly.

49BB7F80-5140-4B55-AEDF-FA51FA915E9D.jpeg 68C15F5A-557A-4C88-95E4-FF86ECA77367.jpeg 3188B816-B5D3-4108-B422-D4D3D2D713CD.jpeg 2E601250-9DAF-4790-AC8A-1A304D7F56FB.jpeg

I used Herbs copper dye on all things like door panels, kick panels, package tray, replaced the carpet with Dark Brown original style. I haven't done the dash yet, but the original dash pad is what I consider brown. I thought it was just to much copper so seats and headliner went to an off white. View attachment 994807 View attachment 994808 View attachment 994809
View attachment 994809 View attachment 994812
I agree with you too much copper between the exterior and interior, hardly any contrast. I was thinking about how a black dash pad would look.

Here's a pic of the original dash in my 67 Satellite with the copper interior. Like Jerry said, I would call it a flat or matte brown metallic. When I had mine redone, the body guy used the copper body paint with a flattening agent. Came out close, but it's not as dark as the original and it has more gloss.

View attachment 994814 View attachment 994815
I don’t mind the gloss easy to clean, the paint under the dash pad is a flat copper metallic, not attractive

The dash frame in mine doesn't actually need to be redone, but the dash pad does need replaced. I have another original pad with no cracks or blemishes that I am going to do a spray out to see how close Herbs Brown interior paint/dye is to what I think the pad should be. My dash frame is between a brown and copper matte finish and I see no metallic.
You can see under the dash pad it was a pretty bright flat/matte copper metallic

4E3BDF98-D3DE-44B5-AC63-1715513BBC6B.jpeg 5176476B-1B36-4CC0-AEBB-E91645AAD3BE.jpeg

My unmolested 66 Coronet in YY1 medium bronze poly with bronze interior has gloss metallic bronze on the column and non-metallic textured matte brown/bronze on the dash frame.

I believe my unmolested 67 Bevedere wagon in WW1 white with blue interior follows the same standard, but will verify for the sake of the thread which has turned into a reference thread.

The type of paint used on the dash frame is called suede, that's the sheen not the color. there are a few people on here that have said they mimicked the sheen pretty well with flattening agents and how they sprayed the paint. I believe Frank Badalson and probably a few others sell the suede paint, but it's not cheap if I recall. Totally Auto used to sell it but they don't anymore and I can't remember who took over their sales of these types of items. I don't know if this was at all helpful to anyone but I figured I'd add it just in case.

Black dashes, 66-67 are suede. You can get very close with PPG Hot Rod black, you can experiment with flattening it. Think ours turned out quite well, also the steering column is not as glossy as a 66.
Dyed some door panels with Herbs black. They look a little dull but the kick panels look very close.
Just my 2 cents worth and I have a lot of pennies.

Black dashes, 66-67 are suede. You can get very close with PPG Hot Rod black, you can experiment with flattening it. Think ours turned out quite well, also the steering column is not as glossy as a 66.
Dyed some door panels with Herbs black. They look a little dull but the kick panels look very close.
Just my 2 cents worth and I have a lot of pennies.
Herbs? What’s the website?

Auto Transport Service
Back