• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 4 speed setup for 67 Coronet.

Wes Young

Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm restoring the 18 spline in my 67 Coronet and wanted to get everyone's best advice on finishes for OE restoration. I have the Detroit Muscle Guide but its not super specific for 67 stuff.
1. Should the entire Bell Housing get painted with the engine or does it just get over-spray that fades out to the transmission
2. What are you guys putting on the trans case and tail housing to subdue rust? (Cast blast, eastwood cast paint, t-9... etc)
3. Are all the shifter mechanism parts between the shifter handle and trans side plate natural or zinc phosphate? (One Diagram I saw had the levers and shifter guts natural while the rods were phosphate.

I use cast blast on the transmission, the shift levers and rods I clean or bead blast and clear. The actual shifter mechanism, I rebuild and reinstall in the upper and lower boots. Those boots usually have to be replaced.

Auto Transport Service
Back