• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return line question?

Well, this isn't exactly how I remembered it (Too many gas fumes).
It actually appears my gas tank was capped off and that evaporator thingy is what's left open.
I bought it this way, seem as though they didn't finish the job.

20240423_133933.jpg

20240423_134018.jpg

20240423_133502.jpg

20240423_133841.jpg

That sending unit is not a factory one. The factory ones never had a return line on them.
They looked like this - but not with the long extension, that's me that did that.
Feb 7 (11).jpg

The return port is good to use if running an electric fuel pump.
As far as the fuel vapor separator goes, if you have the factory style one, then hook it up.
I think they are re-popped now.

Well, I was thinking about going to an electric fuel pump, but that's a different topic.
He does seem to have one of the 4 hooked up. They all seem to go to the same place so maybe it's good enough? Why those 3 aren't capped though is another question .

I have the same setup as 71 Beeper. My fuel line goes to a Vapor Separator Filter before going to the carb and there is a return line from that filter back to the tank. I capped all 4 hose nipples on the tank and vented the gas cap. Been working fine for 12 years with zero vaporlock. The the sending unit you have is is missing the 1/4 inch return nipple.

Ken, with having a vented gas cap that faces rearward, do you get any fuel leakage with hard acceleration?

I actually ended up drilling a very small hole in the center of a regular cap and there is no gas leakage. If I'm not mistaken the fill tube has a baffle at the bottom of it to keep that from happening unless the tank is overfilled.

IMG_2775.jpg

Keep in mind if the car is parked in attached garage you are filling your home with explosive and toxic vapors. Even in a detached garage you are unnecessarily exposing yourself to risk anytime you are in there working or hanging out. Evap systems are cheap insurance for you and your families health and safety. Take your risks out the road where it’s fun and not at home while you’re sleeping.

My 70 GTX has the same system as yours which means it's a Comifornia car with the ECS (evaporation control system). The 4 lines coming from the tank all go to a vapor liquid separator area that has a line going back to the engine. On mine it goes back to the breather in the right valve cover. The return line in the sender has nothing to do with the ECS. This system also takes a special gas cap that is pressure/vacuum relief cap that I don't think you can find any more. The special cap releases when pressure reaches .5 - 1 psi or when vacuum reaches .25 - .5.
Also there is no baffle stopping gas from going back up the filler tube to the cap.

Stant made a vacuum pressure cap part number G - 47. Found them on E Bay for $10 dollars and up NOS Ordered one to stay off the Darwin Awards :)

The described fuel tank vapor separator change took place in April of ’72, early ‘72s used the same wheel well vapor separator/expansion tank as ’71. Two different tanks, vent nipples out the driver’s side for early and at the front of the tank for later with the small fuel tank vapor separator. The vapor recovery system was intended to provide the required fuel tank venting while using the vacuum/pressure release non-vented cap. The fifth nipple on the fuel tank vapor separator ran up to the engine compartment charcoal canister on ‘72’s. The ¼” return fitting on the pictured tank sender has nothing to do with fuel tank venting. It is correct for ’72 440s with a 3/8” fuel line, ran to a fuel line vapor separator mounted near the fuel pump originally. The functions of these systems is indeed described in detail in the FSM.

Do you mix with Pepsi or Coke?

Just curious.
Some prefer Bourbon and Coke or Rum and Coke others like Pepsi and vodka.....Pepsi is a little sweeter? Personally, I like Kentucky Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey (Jack Daniels) neet, 2-3 fingers high, with water back......
BOB RENTON

Some prefer Bourbon and Coke or Rum and Coke others like Pepsi and vodka.....Pepsi is a little sweeter? Personally, I like Kentucky Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey (Jack Daniels) neet, 2-3 fingers high, with water back......
BOB RENTON
Dark rum with dry ginger ale or coke.

Auto Transport Service
Back