• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

reverse lights........failing

cadjaw55

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
the reverse lights on my coronet 65 were working but i worked on the console to fix the high beam switch. what controls the reverse light switch sequence......i will be looking at the switch on the transmission itself tomorrow.....i will be looking 12vdc + at the switch...and toggle the reverse lights into the "on" position. my main question is where does the feed come from? and how is it grounded........does the feed come off the block with the ignition wires.......light bulbs are brand new and worked until yesterday! thanks for any replies!:angry1:

It would help to know if its an automatic or standard....based on you mentioning that you are going to check the switch on the transmission I will assume its an automatic. The switch on the transmission is a neutral start switch and unless you have gone to a later year transmission it won't affect the reverse lights. I feel that while you had your console apart you bumped the reverse light switch...I would go back there and check it out but I would first check for a blown fuse.

If it is an automatic check the reverse switch on your shifter. It will be a little square box with a small button that actuates when you put the shifter in reverse. Make sure its not unplugged. Check that the button is pushed in when your in reverse. You can loosen the screws off slightly to adjust it properly. If all else fails it maybe the switch itself.

on this reverse light issue.....i replaced the ignition switch which was not bad! now, the whole tumbler pulls out .......cheap chinese s@@t !....i will replace this with the old one tomorrow! do the reverse lights flow through the ignition switch! i get a little impatient but know there is a solution to every problem.......as much as i hate to admit i love working on these relics! i admire all you who give me priceless information and would love just to chat with you guys in person! only you that have been there....realize what a feeling you get when driving one of these ancient cars around the block for and evening.....all the hard work pays off......i guess it is step back in time when life and everything is general was much simple

on the aforementioned post......i cannot measure the pleasure of my 29 year old son..and 8 year old grandson......especially my older son who appreciates the work ethic we of the older generation...and the tenacity we have in actually thinking and solving problems that can be very trying. i hardly meet a kid now of days who has higher hopes than working walmart or home depot.......rather not get their hands not dirty and pay a fortune for autorepairs, plumbling, capentry, and technical skills at all....america is becoming a third rate country with no one to keep what industry we have afloat.....i am elect/maint tech of 30 years place and people are crying for my skills......young kids just don't for the most part want to get their hands dirty and would rather work 10 dollars at walmart......what has become of our work ethic! kind of venting here but sad for the future of america.........

When your ignition switch is on its sends power. Look at it this way. Power goes to the switch on the shifter. When the button is pushed by the shifter, when its in reverse, the switch basically closes the the circuit and allows power to light up the lights.

on this reverse light issue.....i replaced the ignition switch which was not bad! now, the whole tumbler pulls out .......cheap chinese s@@t !....i will replace this with the old one tomorrow! do the reverse lights flow through the ignition switch! i get a little impatient but know there is a solution to every problem.......as much as i hate to admit i love working on these relics! i admire all you who give me priceless information and would love just to chat with you guys in person! only you that have been there....realize what a feeling you get when driving one of these ancient cars around the block for and evening.....all the hard work pays off......i guess it is step back in time when life and everything is general was much simple

The key has to be in the lock when its installed to lock in place, turn it until the spring loaded pin drops into the hole.

ninjapumpkin,
got the reverse lights working....definitely a loose wire. when i move the lever around in R the lights start working most of the time. still can't find the switch. is it located inside the column or directly linked with the transmission. had my deer spotting light shining up behind the gauges and column and put in and out of park several times but never saw anything move? so the simple solution was in the ignition switch with 12vdc getting to reversed light switch and difficult problem may be in finding the switch. wiring diagrams are fine.......but what the componets look like are another problem. But I do enjoy the challenge!

It should look like this. I found one on ebay like mine. The button is plastic so you have to be careful. Its an item you cant pick up at your local Napa store. It should be attached to the frame of the shifter housing. Just see what the shifter touches when its in reverse position. I bought 2 off of ebay cause that was my problem. Now have one as a spare. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360225842969?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

He brought the car by tonight and we got it sorted out. The switch actually sits on top of the steering column about 3 inches before it hits the firewall (There's a small metal arm attached to the shifter that sticks out column and actually grabs the switch). I pulled the switch, cleaned it, and then reinstalled/adjusted. The lights seem to be working great now.

we finally found the switch for the reverse lights! thanks for all the advice from everyone...just took another set of eyes.......i was looking high and my son looked low and found it against the firewall!

service manual....

If you do enjoy sorting out issues then you should concider locating a Factory service manual for your car. It can save you a lot of grief.
They are not very diffacult to find and cost anywhere from $25.00 or more

Auto Transport Service
Back