• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

right turn signal comes on when brake applied??

booah

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, first post for me but been lurking for awhile.
I've got a 1968 Roadrunner from Canada, I'm in Australia. Bought the car from my uncle and got it over about 4 months ago. just going through a few things before I get it registered and all good till I got to this one.

When I apply the brakes my right front fender turn signal comes on. I checked for a bad ground at the rear but it looks ok with continuity from the bulb holder to ground.

Then I took the turn signal switch out and had a look and all looks ok there.

The side marker lights also don't come on but when I take them out and pt 12V across they work. I cleaned out the back of the fender for a good ground but nothing, Then I put the voltmeter in series from the wiring connection to ground and only get about 0.15V, not much I think.

Any suggestions?

This happened to me. The connector that hooks the column to the dash harness was the problem. I reseated the pins, several had backed out, and reconnected the connector and all was OK. Not totally sure why, short of maybe a short with the pins that had pushed out. Also, make sure your ground for the column is tight.

I think the only thing in common is the turn signal switch. With the turn signal switch disconnected does the problem go away. Do any of the front lights come on at the same time. Does this have hazard flashers.

Well checked out all of the above, then noticed a nice new green wire spliced into the tan wire on the harness side of the connector. I traced it back to the firewall where it was spliced into the ….brown wire. So the right side turn signal lights were connected directly to the rear right side brake lights. Not sure why so cut the wire and viola…brake application doesn't light up the RHS turn signal. Problem solved.

Thanks for the advice, now just have a couple lights out to sort, side marker lights.

Auto Transport Service
Back