• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rim swap.

oldkimmer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
I have 4 nice rims 17X8 and tires from a 2009 Ram 2500 that I would like to put on my 2006 GMC 2500. It has 16X6.5 rims. My concern is if the wider wheel will clear the top ball joint. Has anybody tried this swap? I know I’ll need the Dodge lug it’s and caps. Thanks. Kim

Six lug, or eight lug?
What is the backspace of both rims?
If the backspace is the same, or close, should be no problem (assuming the bolt patterns are the same).

I have a 2002 chevy 2500 HD that I put 17x8s on (8 lug) They clear fine. I don't remember the backspace, but they replaced some 16x8s with 285-75s (they were huge!)

Six lug, or eight lug?
What is the backspace of both rims?
If the backspace is the same, or close, should be no problem (assuming the bolt patterns are the same).

Apparently we don't have any rim job experts here.

2500 are 8 bolt. I know there is more back space on the dodge rims but don’t have the truck here to compare. I just thought with all the 2500s around that someone may have did this swap. Thanks. Kim

Are they the same size bolt pattern?

You did mention they are both 8 lug, but is the spacing between the same? Or all 8 lug the same?

Just a thought.

Are they the same size bolt pattern?

You did mention they are both 8 lug, but is the spacing between the same? Or all 8 lug the same?

Just a thought.
I'm pretty sure the 3/4 ton 8 lugs of chevy, Ford, and mopar/ram all have the same bolt pattern. 8 on 6.5. Chevy late model single wheel 1 tons are 8 on 180mm.
Stud size might be another matter. (Metric?)
@oldkimmer, Google says ram uses a smaller center hole than ford/chevy/gmc. Be careful!
EDIT!: pirate 4x4 says ram uses a BIGGER center hole than ford/chevy. So ram wheels can be used anywhere, but chevy/ford stock wheels won't fit a ram. I'm betting aftermarket have ram size holes, so they can be used on anything.

Last edited:
I measured the back spaces. Dodge approximately 6 inches. GMC approximately 3.5 inches. It’s a no go for sure. I have 1 inch from rear tires to the leaf springs. So not even close. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back