• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust... bad or not bad.. ??

Depends how deep the pits are. Maybe a high build primer. But more likely then not filler. Need to do allot of block sanding either way.

View attachment 85815View attachment 85816 Mopar project cars 013.jpgView attachment 85814LOL seems all I do is blocking... giving thought to 3 cars to pick one..... 69 Super Bee, 69 Charger, or 71 Roadrunner... There is also a 70 Cuda

You will probably want to start with a good cleaning then go after the straight surface rusted panels with some converter or etch primer. Filler primer with a catalyst will fill the rust pits then block like crazy. Then let it sit for a long time so it can shrink and see what shows up. Maybe apply another coat and sand more. The trick to NOT having rust come back is to seal it from the atmosphere. And if you do any panel welding you MUST seal it from BOTH SIDES of the weld.

As far as for which car? If all need similar work pick the one that has the highest collector value. Starting with the 70 Cuda and followed by the 69 Charger, then the Super Bee. I'd pass on the 71 RR unless it's something really special like a 440+6.

99ss, didn't you start the "What can I get for $5K" thread? We've found you a whole lotta cars in much better shape than these.... :eusa_think:

Either you lost the $5K or you've become a masochist. :toothy6:

Well I figured I might as well buy what I want instead of what I can find..LOL
I had placed an ad looking and I got a response with a bunch of pictures and choices. None have drivetrains.. so my thought is if I can get what I want cheap enough I can build it into a nice car. But it has to be optioned right.

$4000 each. Buy several and I might deal some. RR was a 340/4spd, 69 Charger was a 383/4/spd, and the Bee was a 383/4spd. All have rust and all have salvage titles.

I would keep looking for a complete car. That not riddled with terminal cancer on 90% of the body.

Last edited:
You can get a lot of good restored drivers to restored cars right now for the price of what it would cost to do body work.

I'm still wanting this 71 Road Runner but not sure I can afford it....but I'm still thinking on it.

I would stay clear of a salvage title...

Maybe I should look at the Charger and see what the interior looks like and how bad the car really is but I really dont see anything worth buying from those pictures and certainly not 4000 worth of car for any one of them.. I got a better condition and running car for less and no I am not crazy..LOL

Wow, 4k for rusty salved title cars? I guess I have to say it again, more people who have not recieved the memo on the economy and car markets. Oregon isn't having what you would call a booming recovery. My parents are telling me they see more and more business closing where they live.

I could see spending maybe a grand if you were wanting to make a beater race car. No engine and trans really kills the value also. What else is missing from those cars? I would keep looking.

As others have said, the salvage title drops the value tremendously. If you are going to put a lot of money in a car and keep it forever, no problem. Usually though, we spend a fortune and then find something else that we'd rather have and in trying to sell your project find that most buyers won't consider a salvage title. The comment about being a bodyman was a good one. All those cars are going to be a massive amount of time and money to bring back if you're not in the trade. If you want something to drive sooner rather than much later, I would look further and in a drier climate. Better cars are out there for less money. Good luck on your search.

I watch some the resto shows on TV and sometimes they start off with cars like that but they normally have a team of body, mechanical and parts techs doing it. Not to mention a lot of money even though they whine about going over "budget". Usually on the ones that are badly rusted, they blast them with baking soda or something. Those just have too much wrong with them.

Rust is not bad. It is your friend. It holds cars together long after everything else fails. It is a good thing.

a grand! Maybe 1500 tops as they sit.
agreed if that.. not sure why this person is hoarding junk yard scrap metal but I dont see a lot of value in to many things there. Far to much work, nothing actually rare, nothing but junk and the market has dropped significantly
I would say he is taking that collection of scrap metal to the grave with him unless he drops his price by 3k each.
I'm sure there is some salvageable stuff on some of them.. but they were plucked from the scrap metal yard and should have been left there

- - - Updated - - -

5T25F35J23E93Ga3M7c9u080e4a95db9c1823.jpgThis is an example of a 4-5k car

these cars are worth 500-1000 for parts alone.: window glass and a few doors...

99ss I posted those cars for sale on here few months back and was ridiculed for saying they were restoreable since certain people on here would rather spend money for others to fix rather then do the work themselves like so many others of us do but everybody else's stuff is junk or parts cars but they want top dollar for there parts that ain't worth it if you like it want it can afford it then you and only you can decide that if you got the time and means go for it but offer him less but he owns them so he sets price not these uys hercts are that projects if you see the jem in the pile and its worth it to you buy it if dad had the same setup it means more to you then anybody else if you want it get it and enjoy the value of a car toy posession is only what you ask for it screw the stupid books they are somebody else's opinion on its value its worth what you want to pay for it then its worth what you want for it

Auto Transport Service
Back