• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rustoleum paint job

SOUPENE

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if any one else has painted their cars with rustoleum ? And if so i wanna see pics on how they came out..please
thanks
dan

I have done it.
Don't recommend it based on time and results quality unless you need to halt progression of surface rust, etc. and it will be a while before the car will get quality work and paint.

You can get better results than I did. Bottom line is if you are going to take enough time to do good prep work, the extra time it takes to paint layer by layer is not worth it.

DSCN4443.jpg

car is a twenty footer at best.
but I had a solid car, but with lots of areas with surface rust I wanted to halt.
and I wanted to give it a try

DSCN4511.jpg

DSCN4515.jpg

Somewhere I saw an example of a guy that painted his Charger with a sponge brush then sanded and buffed it. Looked pretty good in the pics.

Rustoleum paint dose not have the hardeners in it that regular automotive style paints have, it will scuff & scratch very easily, especially high gloss black, it will show everything...JMO

do yourself a faver and spend the xtra money for an automotive pant not saying thats bad paint.you will wish you did later......Artie

i just want to make clear for the record.
If the car is just dingy looking, leave it until you can get good body work and paint.

If you have surface rust, bare metal, etc. and it is going to be a few years or more till you can get good body work and paint. do the minium prep and body work to address the rust, then use roll on or spray on rustoleum.

you are looking at around one hundred bucks or 150$ or so worth of expenses.

I had this to deal with...

DSCN4252.jpg

DSCN4251.jpg

DSCN4253.jpg

it lives outside and I did not want to let it progress as it may never get good bodywork and paint.

if it had been just dingy, like some of the other areas, with no pitting and base paint still intact, I would have just waxed the hell out of it.

DSCN4237.jpg

DSCN4241.jpg

DSCN4238.jpg

DSCN4245.jpg

while it looks great from ten paces or driving by (in my opinion), it looks like what it is the closer you get

DSCN4423.jpg

DSCN4422.jpg

DSCN4418.jpg

DSCN4419.jpg

some can get great results with this type of paint job, but it takes just as much prep as a real paint job. you can see I just did bare minimum prep to address rust.

Unfortunately all i have is enough money to go this route.

There has been several DIY paint jobs on here that pretty much went the route of taping off painters plastic in a garage along with furnace filters to make a "make shift" booth. For a couple hundered bucks and some stealthy online shopping you should have no problem at all picking up the paint, reducer and hardener for a decent single stage paint job with a gun. Obviously that is not the greatest paint in the world for that price, but at least it will be better than spray bombing it.

Like the other fella's said, it will be a heck of a lot more protective and resilient compared to something out of a can. Keeping in mind a properly preped surface makes all the difference in the world how any type of final coating performs.

As far as the black goes....also keep in mind black shows E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G

I'm the same as Ramairthree - lots of surface rust I wanted to cover up plus it was an ugly color from the factory.

71Charger0007.jpg

71Charger0005.jpg

I did a quick and sloppy sanding job and an equally quick but slightly less sloppy primer job. Then went back over and painted the entire car with about 12 cans of Duplicolor auto paint. Chrysler color "Deep Sapphire Blue Metallic" and a can of white Rusto took care of the roof. Car looks good good but only from a distance.

IMG00717.jpg

IMG00696.jpg

I KNOW THESE KIND OF PAINT JOBS ARNT PERFECT BUT WHEN ITS ALL YOU CAN AFFORD YOU MAKE THE BEST OF IT
269792_247973628549413_100000103338847_1250773_245232_n.jpg

Last edited:
The August issue of Hot Rod magazine had an article on using Rustoleum Professional flat black at $27 a gallon plus $7.25 for the acetone to thin it. It looked really good. Now that's CHEAP!

It may be more work later to put on a real paint job, but like RA3 said, it will help the car survive the elements better if left outside. I say it's a brilliant plan and I should do that with my green Belvedere.

I tend to agree if it just to help it survive until a latter date it's all good... Good luck with your Javelin...

Here is my work truck done a couple years ago. The silver was peeling off and rust showing. I wet sanded and rolled on Black rustoleum thinned with mineral spirits.
It don't stay real shiney very long, but it's tough and easily touched up.

Attachments

• 9-11-06 pics 1 018.jpg
    9-11-06 pics 1 018.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,899
  • 9-11-06 pics 1 017.jpg
    9-11-06 pics 1 017.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,916
  • 9-11-06 pics 1 016.jpg
    9-11-06 pics 1 016.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,914
  • My 93 Dodge.jpg
    My 93 Dodge.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,914
just for the hell of it call maaco and see what they will charge I painted for one here in town thre pretty cheap and if you sand it will be cheaper yet.I know 350 bucks used to be a pretty good paint job.just trying to help...Artie

Thanks everyone for the advice wish i could afford to get my car painted but im unemployed and living on a very tight budget so the last car i had was a 74 duster that i painted rustoleum gloss white and it came out ok but now i have this new belvedere that looks like hell so i bought the rustoleum gloss black to paint her with as i always wanted a black gtx/belvedere so thats why im looking to find picks of others rides so i can get an idea how mine might look like at least till i can get back to the work force and get her a real paint job. Thats why i was hopeing to see more pics .

WELL HERE SHE IS MY RUSTOLEUM PAINT JOB LOTS OF COLOR SANDING AND POLISHING AND WAXING BUT HELL IM PRETTY IMPRESSED....
262933_272126596134116_100000103338847_1361137_7319808_n.jpg

262933_272126592800783_100000103338847_1361136_936125_n.jpg

BUT ILL TELL YOU THIS MUCH ILL NEVER DO BLACK AGAIN THAT COLOR'S A BITCH TO GET RIGHT HA HA

Auto Transport Service
Back