• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you tip a car delivery driver?

XS22J8R

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I have a new car supposed to be delivered from a out of state dealer today, and I paid the dealer for delivery. Other than hiring a local Mopar guy to take some of my cars to MCACN and back a few times, and bring my Magnum here from OH after I bought it a few years ago, I haven't got any experience with cars being delivered. I just wondered after the guy gets the car here assuming all goes well and the car is OK, is it customary to slip the guy a few bucks?

I would. I have had my old cars flatbedded home a couple of times after a break down. Even though my CAA card paid for the move, I always slipped the driver $20 for his care in loading, etc.

If they do a good job I would for sure. Never know if they will be transporting something for you again, and it's good Karma :)

I don’t know in my case if the dealer group has an employee driving their equipment to deliver cars, or if they contract some hotshot type car hauler to deliver their out of state sold cars. They charged me $600 for bringing the car here about 350-360 miles from their store.

If you're happy with the service provided, tipping is always appreciated. I had a tow company bring me three 10x20 storage buildings on a rollback. The driver took extra care unloading them and placing them exactly where I wanted them. He made three trips across town and his professionalism and attitude earned him an extra $50. I have never tipped a driver on a breakdown tow. I guess I consider that a different situation.

Does he get a salary? If so why would he deserve a tip? He’s getting paid to deliver your car already. Tipping in this country is getting out of hand big time!

When I drove a moving van over the road for Allied Van Lines in 1977, tipping was not expected, and company manual explicitly stated we were not to accept gratuities. But I did receive one substantial tip from a customer on one of my last runs before getting married and switching over to the tank truck business. Shipper was the wealthiest guy in my career, had built up a chain of 21 clothing stores in Pennsylvania, and had just sold the business to retire.

Moved him from a relatively modest house in central PA to a high end gated community in Florida. Treated me and my partner as if we were the customers, not the other way around, kept us fed and hydrated though a tough day, it was easy to reciprocate and give him blue chip service. The tip paid nearly as much as the load. Not typical, and certainly not expected.

That was a great lesson early in my career, and I tried to carry it on when I had people working for me in later years. I've always tipped well for good service.

Five years ago I had my non running ( which makes delivery a bit harder) 66 charger delivered to me .
The guy who did it was very careful handling the car ,adding blocking under the tires so exhaust wouldn’t get damaged etc.
I gave him a twenty for the effort. Not much money but a couple of cold ones at the end of the work day.

My wife and I tip everybody who comes to help us at our home. The way I look at it ... because we can.These folks afford us the opportunity to add a great number of hours back to our days. Agreed upon compensation is for the tasks they perform, tipping is a way to truly show that their efforts are noticed and appreciated. They would not continue to be contracted if we weren't happy with the end results. The fact that the level of service is augmented, while in no way expected, is an added benefit.
It's not all about the money though. Making human connections seems to be making me happier as I age. I'll give water bottles to travel but if I'm around i use everyday glassware with fresh ice. I'll share a cold drink with the landscapers and delivery folks, chat if they are not in too much of a hurry. Not to say I go through life shelling out cash but kindness can go a long way.

If one is happy and satisfied with services rendered, a tip is always appropriate and appreciated.

Yep, tip the guy if he's decent and does a good job. Jmho.

If they do a good job I would for sure. Never know if they will be transporting something for you again, and it's good Karma :)
This ^^^

When my Satellite got delivered. I tipped the guy $50

I'm not at all easy with this tipping craze that has emerged lately! Seems like everyone is either demanding a tip or expecting one for doing very little. In this case, the transporting of a vehicle is a big tough responsible job and most of the services cover any damage in the care, custody, and control if it is part of their binding bill of lading contract. The cost charged in doing this type of work is more than enough to cover the delivery drivers pay for doing so, so why offer a tip when the task is performed as contacted? Yet it is up to the individual whether or not to offer up a gratuity. To offer a tip for merely doing one's job is a tough call...JMHO...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I'm not at all easy with this tipping craze that has emerged lately! Seems like everyone is either demanding a tip or expecting one for doing very little. In this case, the transporting of a vehicle is a big tough responsible job and most of the services cover any damage in the care, custody, and control if it is part of their binding bill of lading contract. The cost charged in doing this type of work is more than enough to cover the delivery drivers pay for doing so, so why offer a tip when the task is performed as contacted? Yet it is up to the individual whether or not to offer up a gratuity. To offer a tip for merely doing one's job is a tough call...JMHO...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
I see a difference. I DON'T leave a tip in the counter jar for someone merely doing what they're paid to do !! To me, a tip is a PERSONAL gratuity based on the services one has rendered directly to me.

I don’t know in my case if the dealer group has an employee driving their equipment to deliver cars, or if they contract some hotshot type car hauler to deliver their out of state sold cars. They charged me $600 for bringing the car here about 350-360 miles from their store.
That sounds like a very reasonable charge. A few years ago, a guy pulled out of his laneway in front of my Yellow 1967 R/T, and I could not get stopped, until I hit him. This took out the left front corner of my car. Sheet metal damage only. I had it flat bedded 2 miles to my home. The next morning, I had my friend, and body shop owner, come down to inspect the damage. We then had the car flat bedded to his shop, about 10 miles away. I saw the invoice submitted to my insurance company, and there was a charge for $700 for towing. After my car was repaired, the same truck and driver returned my R/T home for $75 cash.

That tipping craze is creeping in over here now. The tipping Jar is a guilt trip when you're standing at the register ready to pay.

Even on the EFTPOS terminal when you pay by card, a message comes up saying "Add $xxxxx for your tip" WTF :screwy:

I did it once at a BBQ joint we ate at....my tip was not greeted with any sort of appreciation, so I didn't bother the next time.

Depends.
Is the driver an owner/operator? He built his tip into the bill anyway.
If he is a hired on driver making flat wage? Well then, if the guy takes his time and does it right and takes care of your stuff proper, slip him some cash. Tow truck drivers are like auto mechanics. The shop they work for will charge $250 to move a car 5 miles, but they will pay the driver $15 for the hour to do it.

Bottom line, if you got a car from the dealer, make sure the tip isn't going through the dealer because the driver will never see it. No harm in slipping a couple bills to the blue collar shmuck that did right by your car, Lord knows his boss won't.

That tipping craze is creeping in over here now. The tipping Jar is a guilt trip when you're standing at the register ready to pay.

Even on the EFTPOS terminal when you pay by card, a message comes up saying "Add $xxxxx for your tip" WTF :screwy:

I did it once at a BBQ joint we ate at....my tip was not greeted with any sort of appreciation, so I didn't bother the next time.
The food tips are getting pretty stupid. Did you bring my drink and food out to my table where I am seated? Did you return more then once to check up on my meal? OK, you are in the tip category.
Did you stand at a counter and push 5 buttons and had nothing whatsoever to do with my food or otherwise? LOL, you best not ask me openly for a tip or you will find out.

And, just so people are aware, with some of the places like Subway doing this, in some states- there is a different minimum wage for people that have tips as part of their pay. In my small town people don't try to pull that BS because word travels fast and the owner will find out. National chains though....

My people are not from Israel but I'm tired of this whole trend of tipping for every damn thing.
People came to expect it.
During the pandemic, I did sympathize with food servers and others in the service industry that lost out on tip revenue. I gave a bit extra when I got take out food.
Somehow though, that spread to all sorts of other businesses. The ATM/Debit card readers all seem to have a tip option now.
I'm not tipping if I order food standing up and waiting for it. I'm not tipping the guy that mounted my tires. I'm not tipping my dentist nor the proctologist.

Auto Transport Service
Back