• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you tip a car delivery driver?

Those are the type questions, that I don't have to ask other's opinions about.

Unless maybe they had a really crappy attitude or something, I'd tip them but that's just me.

I tip how I feel. You make my experience a pleasant one, I tip big. You do what you think you need to do to get by, I'll let you know. I don't owe anyone anything, it called a gratuity for a reason. I don't support the lazy and a tip jar at a counter is the bosses job to fill, not mine. To many places underpay their employees and put it on the backs of the consumer through guilt. If your car gets to you and you're happy, the first sentence applies.
THIS ^^^^^^

When the guy delivered my car four years ago.
He called me day before joking around , left it at home, sold it , etc etc

He showed up at our prearranged location to meet up ( wasnt possible to get this truck down my street ) about 10 minutes before he said he would be there
The day the picked it up they emailed me and gave me a GPS number where I would track it across country

I talked to him a few minutes and he said he been doing this for about 10 years, and had delivered from multi million dollar exotics to cheap VW bugs
Told me straight up , said my car was easily one of his favorites

I GLADLY tipped the driver $50 , Told him a nice dinner that night was on me. He was headed to a Phoenix auction with 4 cars and spend the weekend until auction was over.

20201018_100339.jpg

20201018_101210.jpg

THIS ^^^^^^

When the guy delivered my car four years ago.
He called me day before joking around , left it at home, sold it , etc etc

He showed up at our prearranged location to meet up ( wasnt possible to get this truck down my street ) about 10 minutes before he said he would be there
The day the picked it up they emailed me and gave me a GPS number where I would track it across country

I talked to him a few minutes and he said he been doing this for about 10 years, and had delivered from multi million dollar exotics to cheap VW bugs
Told me straight up , said my car was easily one of his favorites

I GLADLY tipped the driver $50 , Told him a nice dinner that night was on me. He was headed to a Phoenix auction with 4 cars and spend the weekend until auction was over.

View attachment 1721295

View attachment 1721296
You both did good!! Neither one of you will ever forget it.

The ability to know your customer is a keen skill and a money maker everytime. I used to frequent an establishment with as many as ten people. If I raised my finger and twirled it in a circle, she knew it was a round and knew every drink at the table. You never forget to reward that kind of service.

This tipping has got to stop NOW! They’re getting paid to do the job nothing more.

This conversation about tipping reminds me of a scene from the movie reservoir dogs ( if you have seen the movie, you will know)

In some ways, a TIP is like a compliment.
I feel much better giving it IF it isn't expected.

I was in the auto transport biz from '88 until '91.

My brother is in the high dollar resto biz and he had a big money collector as his finance man .

High dollar as in 25 300SL coupes and 18 300SL roadsters as well as several '60's Ferraris and more.

I never got a tip delivering a $1,000,000 car but the average schmo who had saved his pennies and bought a '67 Malibu or crew cab Coronet usually slipped me $20-50 for a job well done.

The millionaires are cheap bastards.
Just in case you are wondering what kind of truck I used to haul those fancy high dollar rides...

Keeping with my every expense spared, tight wad, I can build it my self reputation I bring you this...

1976 Ford F600 powered by the famous U-Haul exclusive 359ci V8… one car in the box two cars in the trailer.

I ran all 48 states plus New Jersey. Slept in Mom's attic. In 1989 I ran 89,000 miles in this beater with a heater . Hauled cars to Amelia Island, Pebble Beach and many other hi zoot affairs.

I grossed just shy of $250,000 that year...the most I ever made in 53 years on the road.

$2600 truck...$8000 trailer.

When I arrived to Pebble Beach I could hear the Beverly Hillbillies theme song playing ...

IMG_20230728_132640339.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back