• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you tip a car delivery driver?

Of course I was kidding but the sentiment rings true....
I've had a habit of paying extra when I've had a service person do work for me but it has to be voluntary and only if they went above my realistic expectations. I had a drywall texture guy here last year, his price was $1000, I gave him $1200 because he did excellent work. If I need him again, he will remember that I appreciated him.
If the guy did barely passable work or left messes around, I'd have paid him his asking price and been done with him.

Today I had to have my garage doors inspected and one sensor eye fixed as it came off its mount to the track and I couldn't get it to stay back on. The tech arrived on time and fixed the issues, tightened the springs, and lubed the rollers up and all is good now. The charge was 118.00 after my ol' man/AF Retiree discount so I paid him in cash. We all know cash is KING now don't we? It got to 104 degrees here in the Reno area, and it was toasty even with the garage open and both my shop fans blowing. I paid him and also gave him a 20.00 tip and told him after work to have a few cold ones on me! Here in this instance, tipping is well worth it but to have a tip jar at a carry-out buffet say, is totally greedy IMHO!!! If I have some small change after paying say nickles, dimes, pennies, etc., maybe I'll just toss that in as I have way more coinage waiting at home to cash in for Silver bullion, so I just do it. What gauls me, is when they attach a tip keypad at a checkout or what have you, and basically demand one. Ain't gonna happen by me and I don't care if it pisses them off or not. Having traveled throughout the world, most countries, do not expect a tip, and it is really frowned upon...cr8crshr/Bil :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

The guy showed up a little later than expected. It was 4:45 when he got here. Kid didn’t look over 25 and works for the dealer group. One of the trucks on the trailer is going to Wisconsin and the other to Iowa, my Challenger was the first delivery of the trip. Nice kid, I gave him a $20 and told him it was for dinner.
An hour later I was at a cruise. They had food trucks, when paying by credit card the reader asked you to chose a tip, I chose 0 for that.

20240708_163929.jpeg

20240708_194924.jpeg

We were at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Our meals came with soup or salad. I ordered soup and the wife ordered salad. The soup or salad never came. The wife went to the bathroom. Along comes the waitress. I ask if we’re getting our soup and salad. Her response was, why are u still hungry? I said does it really matter as it was included in our meal. I told the wife her response and that I wasn’t tipping her. So when I paid I didn’t tip so the wife gave her cash. I have to admit it was busy in there but I don’t think she should have forgot or made the snide remark. I can’t see going back there again. Kim

15% is customary. I'd give
$30.00 bucks. Enough for
a case of beer and a couple
burgers. He wouldn't be in
the business of haulung
cars around the country
side if his income wern't
able to support that
chosen vocation. These
guys make big money as
most of the major carriers
sub out the single car
deliveries. It's a huge racket.
I've had nemourous cars
shipped cross country.
Your display of caring
will go farther than you
think, even @ $30.00
bucks.

The guy showed up a little later than expected. It was 4:45 when he got here. Kid didn’t look over 25 and works for the dealer group. One of the trucks on the trailer is going to Wisconsin and the other to Iowa, my Challenger was the first delivery of the trip. Nice kid, I gave him a $20 and told him it was for dinner.
An hour later I was at a cruise. They had food trucks, when paying by credit card the reader asked you to chose a tip, I chose 0 for that.

View attachment 1691597

View attachment 1691598
Nice ride!!! For any food...grocery or fast/restaurant, I never use a card. I always pay in cash as the cards are too vulnerable these days to theft and scamming. Never could quite understand the constant use of a card for everything...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Nice ride!!! For any food...grocery or fast/restaurant, I never use a card. I always pay in cash as the cards are too vulnerable these days to theft and scamming. Never could quite understand the constant use of a card for everything...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
The food trucks last night didn't take cash, only cards.
I rarely pay by cash anymore for things like gas, food, and at stores. The couple times over the years I have found fraudulent charges on my statement, they took care of it and sent me new cards and it didn't cost me anything. I pay in full every month and get hundreds of dollars back using cards that have cash back bonuses.
Dave Ramsey hates credit cards and that is one area I disagree with him.

Should a car delivery driver be tipped?

I guess everybody has their own unique situation......but.....

When I bought my 4-door Dart a few weeks back, I called a local roll-back guy to come and haul it back to the warehouse here. Granted, it was very short notice, and...in the middle of afternoon rush hour. He showed up within 30 minutes from the time I called, had the car loaded, and was down the road with me leading the way. Back at the warehouse, he unloaded it into kind of a tight spot without any bit of trouble and zero issues.

Although the trip wasn't even ten miles, I thought he done a GREAT job and no fussin/mussin around!!!! The ride cost $100....I tipped him $40 bucks and told him to take his wife out for a nice dinner.

I tipped the guy from Reliable Carriers, don't remember how much now
(I think a $100 bill, the tab for the haul, was like $1500 IIRC)
I bought a car when I was in Minnesota, at Brainard, Drag Racing
from a car coral deal at a show, $6k for a solid 68 Barracuda full shell,
ragged out interior & paint, good glass everywhere,
it had to have been stored inside for decades
but solid & very lil' rust for coming from Minn.
It's sitting on some dry-rotted tires (barely held air) on alum. slot wheels
had a rear end & fronts suspension, so it was barely a roller...

They/the driver & a ride along, neither not a young guy either
(he wasn't going all the way to Calif.) treated the car like it was a million dollar ride,
even had me sign a checkoff list, documenting damage & scratches...

I laughed talking to the guy/driver, have you seen the car ? we chuckled
he said; "I got a long trip to California, I said I'm leaving here in about an hr."
he said; "no big deal, he has to deliver 4 cars 3 before he gets to my place"
in Concord/Turtle Creek the east Bay Area NorCal...
(then he has several in SoCal he has pick up, to take back east, on his return trip)

He damn near beat me home, & I/we drove straight through,
except slept & one of my guys would drive when I was in the sleeper, etc. visa versa
Eat at truck stops...
Like a 60+ hr drive, with a couple fuel & food stops...
Made great time...

Next day, after resting up...
I was unloading my quad & my 49 Ford Pro-Gas car
in the garage at my house...
I was getting ready to take my T/S TransAm racecar
& the trailer back to my warehouse
a few miles away...
Just put the door up on my trailer, here comes the orange
Reliable Truck coming down my street... he made it in like 74 (?) hrs
Great service & a cool driver...

When I gave him the tip, he said; "that's not necessary",
I said; "you made great time & you earned it"
We unloaded it in my driveway...
He asked if there was any good place he could park & rest for 12 hrs or so
before going down south to (IIRC) Bakersfield, Fresno & then LA...
I told him where my warehouse was, he could use my lot
he'd be ok overnight, run his A/C & generator,
just don't block my doors I need to get my rig in there later...
I showed up he was sitting in a folding picnic chair relaxing winding down
in the shade under one of my trees...

I offered him a beer, he came in & checked out my cars & warehouse
we talked for an hr or so, before I left...

carry on

We just had a new refrig delivered, Like 5 minutes ago, the guys were great and very careful moving the old one out and installing the new one. 100* here and feels like 104, Both refrigs had to be taken out the back of the house and up and down 2 sets of steps. 4 bottles of water and a nice tip they were on their way and the wife is filling it now.
ON the other hand, I had a car delivered last year from a used car dealer.
2006 Chrysler Crossfire, I could barely understand the driver, he pointed to my driveway and I assumed he wanted to know where to put it. He pulled it into the driveway and got out with the keys. I said I need the keys to check it out. Broken English NO KEYS you sine I go. I said get the F out of here and he threw the keys at me. I actually had a Grant in my pocket to tip him.
His rig was a POS.

Are you tipping a car delivery driver? That's always a tricky one, right? It depends on the situation. If the driver went out of their way, like keeping you updated the whole time, or helped with a tricky delivery spot, a tip feels like a nice gesture. After all, these folks work hard, often driving long distances to get your car safely to you.

On the flip side, I know the cost to ship a car across country is already relatively high, so it’s understandable if you’re on a tight budget. It's up to you and how you feel about the service you received.

I tip how I feel. You make my experience a pleasant one, I tip big. You do what you think you need to do to get by, I'll let you know. I don't owe anyone anything, it called a gratuity for a reason. I don't support the lazy and a tip jar at a counter is the bosses job to fill, not mine. To many places underpay their employees and put it on the backs of the consumer through guilt. If your car gets to you and you're happy, the first sentence applies.

Last edited:
I have a new car supposed to be delivered from a out of state dealer today, and I paid the dealer for delivery. Other than hiring a local Mopar guy to take some of my cars to MCACN and back a few times, and bring my Magnum here from OH after I bought it a few years ago, I haven't got any experience with cars being delivered. I just wondered after the guy gets the car here assuming all goes well and the car is OK, is it customary to slip the guy a few bucks?
I was in the auto transport biz from '88 until '91.

My brother is in the high dollar resto biz and he had a big money collector as his finance man .

High dollar as in 25 300SL coupes and 18 300SL roadsters as well as several '60's Ferraris and more.

I never got a tip delivering a $1,000,000 car but the average schmo who had saved his pennies and bought a '67 Malibu or crew cab Coronet usually slipped me $20-50 for a job well done.

The millionaires are cheap bastards.

Auto Transport Service
Back