• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small or larger yolk on differential?

kaj750

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I have a guy that has a sure grip rear differential for my car. He states that it has a small yolk. Neither of us are sure if that would work with the driveline on my car. How can I tell?
1969 charger with unknown original engine and automatic transmission.
I only know that once my engine and transmission was installed, a custom drive line I was to make it all fit.
This is how I bought the car, no records other than for the driveline.
Anybody have an idea of how I can figure out what's in my car? All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

7260 (small) or 7290 (large) u-joint. You'll have to research cup sizes, an measure yours to find out which you have.
There are combo u-joints available with 7260 and 7290 size cups to solve the different size problem.

I have the small yoke on every 8 3/4” 3rd member that I have. Maybe the larger yoke is better for high horsepower applications but I’ve never lost a U-joint in anything. I’ve replaced them when they get worn but never split one yet.
I’m not a drag racer though.

I have the small yoke on every 8 3/4” 3rd member that I have. Maybe the larger yoke is better for high horsepower applications but I’ve never lost a U-joint in anything. I’ve replaced them when they get worn but never split one yet.
Was thinking 'eggs' lol.....and yup, have to measure the size of it.

I figured a gentle hint shouldn’t ruffle anyones feathers .

I'm not either, but I plan to light up my rear tires often. At least it's easy on everything but the tires. Lol

Also, I use voice-to-text so feel free to blame any spelling errors on my phone.

Posting from work (don't tell them) so I don't have time to go back and edit everything lol

But I do appreciate the gentle reminder and a good sense of humor.

I'm not either, but I plan to light up my rear tires often. At least it's easy on everything but the tires. Lol

Also, I use voice-to-text so feel free to blame any spelling errors on my phone.

Posting from work (don't tell them) so I don't have time to go back and edit everything lol

But I do appreciate the gentle reminder and a good sense of humor.
Yeah, the phone voice texting sucks most of the time!

Yeah, the phone voice texting sucks most of the time!

Between that and autocorrect... But I can't be seen typing away on my phone so I sneak in a few voice prompts. I know I shouldn't be on at all during work, but I gotta decide on this diff soon.

To everyone:
Is the clutch-style Sure Grip, good enough?

Between that and autocorrect... But I can't be seen typing away on my phone so I sneak in a few voice prompts. I know I shouldn't be on at all during work, but I gotta decide on this diff soon.

To everyone:
Clutch is much preferred over the cone.... at least by me.

To everyone:
I've used both and know how to make the cone unit work very well and sold the clutch diffs to the ones that wanted the 'best' of the best. Thing is, I've never had a bad cone unit.....

Agree with Cranky, cones can be rehabbed, and work very well, but if you have a "posi" (suregrip, lol), and it still spins one tire, you can bet it's a cone type.... and needs work.
And for what it's worth.....I've got a Detroit locker in mine.

I've had the good fortune to stumble across almost nothing but the clutch type units. I have my axle guy go through them before swapping them back in.

"Cup size"?

For under $50, she just get that yolk anyway?
If you sc
"Cup size"?

For under $50, she just get that yolk anyway?
This the description of the u-joint spec's. Mates the different sized driveshaft and rear yoke connect. Cup size ha ha.
dz.JPG

I went ahead and purchased the carrier. I'll force it in one way or another lol

ZZ c.jpg

Surely a jiffy boob customer but I like it.

Auto Transport Service
Back