• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So my new oil pan is wrong...

Krooser

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
I ordered a new oil pan from Speedway Motors. Chrome isn't exactly my style but I was broke (still am!) and it was $58.

Came in a few days. Did my first YouTube video in it.

Put it back in the box.

This morning was installation time... It's for a 360 not a 318 like the box sez.

Costs $10 to return it. Id exchange it but I'm afraid I'd get the wrong part again. Box was labeled correct...

I'll call customer no service Monday...

Aargh! I went through that ordering distributors, not once but two times, about two years apart from a certain Mopar vendor that shall remain nameless (rhymes with zucchini:D).
I needed the 'RB' one and got the 'B' distributor in their box labeled "RB 426-440". They corrected it each time but it sucks to put off your project another week because of stuff like that!
99854028.gif

That sucks,seems lately you have had some bad luck. Hope things get better.

I was tempted to get out the cutting wheel and mig welder and fix it...

Speedway should pay for return shipping. It was their fault , Correct ?

Last edited:
In 2001, I ordered a patch panel to fix the rust in the rear window channel of the red car. I needed a RH side, they sent a LH.
I called and complained. They sent out another.
It was wrong too. The problem was that they had some dipshit marking LH on the right panels and RH on the left panels. I still had to pay return shipping.
Year One was notorious for high shipping charges but they did me a favor once when I mistakenly ordered a 5/16" fuel line instead of a 3/8". I called to return it, they said to keep it.....the return shipping was equal to the value of the line so I saved and used it on another car. They sent the 3/8" line and covered the shipping!

Ok....oil pan quiz.

Which pan is 273-318-340
Which pan is 360?

I called Speedway this morning...got a two very nice people working on my issue...Susan sent me to Casey.

Casey said they will look at their present inventory to see if any other pans were mis-boxed.

I'm sure they will give me a credit for the wrong pan... Not sure about them having the correct pan.

I will have to wait to see how the shipping will be handled. I'd hate to have to pay twice.

Maybe a 600 mile ride to Lincoln, NE is in my future?

IMG_20240624_083136941.jpg

Last edited:
Speedway shows both. I would have them open two boxes and verify if they had one mispacked.

Screenshot_20240624_110120_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240624_110046_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they have them in the wrong boxes.

The photos from the catalog listings are incorrect, too.

I have a "704" box with a "705" pan. The 273-340 has the larger radius for the larger main cap. Speedway sent the smaller pan.

IMG_20240624_083136941.jpg

I believe they have them in the wrong boxes.

The photos from the catalog listings are incorrect, too.

I have a "704" box with a "705" pan. The 273-340 has the larger radius for the larger main cap. Speedway sent the smaller pan.

View attachment 1684660
Are you sure about that? I thought the 360 pan had the larger radius, because of the larger crank journals.

According to Speedway both pans are the same!

I'm going to do a video on my YouTube channel to show the differences.

Perhaps some members here could affirm my contention that they ARE different.

Speedway has sent me emails on several parts to answer customer questions on a part that I had purchased.

So probably someone is giving bad advice, not necessarily someone on speedway staff.

But I haven't bought a sb pan so it wasn't me! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back