• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter question

lvmymopar

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 66 Coronet 440 with a 440 big block. I need to get opinions on what to do. When I first start my car in the mornings or after a few days it makes a metal rattling noise from the starter. It does it for maybe 1 minute and then goes away. And then everytime you start it after that for that day it does not do it. It starts normal and quiet. It started doing this a couple of months ago. I don't drive it much now that it is winter. I have gotten a few opinions that it is probably the bendix sticking? Maybe it needs shimmed up? The starter was replaced about a year ago. But it sits inside the headers and gets a lot of heat there. And I was told that it is fine until it starts doing it all the time? I am afraid it will harm the flywheel but was told no it won't. And that was told to me by a couple of mechanics. So I need some opinions from everyone. Could it be something else? I am ready to have the starter replaced now so I dont harm the flywheel. Who is right, me or them.

First thought is drive but I'm wondering if your battery voltage is low from sitting and not pulling it in on first start.Then after alt charges it back up your fine the rest of the day.I'd be doing voltage test before,during 1st crank and the same later after driving taking note of engine temps too.

We keep a battery charger on it with a trickle charge. The battery goes dead after about a week of not driving it. So the battery was fully charged. But seems like the battery should not be going dead just after a week.

We keep a battery charger on it with a trickle charge. The battery goes dead after about a week of not driving it. So the battery was fully charged. But seems like the battery should not be going dead just after a week.
Right! You could get it tested. Batteries lose on the average 1% per day or better but it takes more than a week for a good battery to go full dead.....

Also, the bendix is spring loaded and does not need electrical power to pull it back off the flywheel....and a sticking bendix isn't fine. They are not designed for the flywheel to spin them 10,000 rpm at an idle....fix it before damage occurs.

Auto Transport Service
Back