• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting my 383 build

delfinomuro

Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
Sup guys, I'll be starting the build on my 383 in January. I'm thinking of going with the eldebrock E-street series aluminum heads. Been looking for a kit to build my foundation, any idea if this kit is good?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Would not dream of butchering a 383 to that extent. If you are looking to build large cubes with long stroke find a 440.

Depends what it is doing in and it's purpose but if you think you need long stroke and big cubes find a 440. Much stronger bottom with out the huge machine shop bill. Spend it making sure the cylinders are round and the block is square.

Well I'm just trying to put at least 500hp.

Depends what it is doing in and it's purpose but if you think you need long stroke and big cubes find a 440. Much stronger bottom with out the huge machine shop bill. Spend it making sure the cylinders are round and the block is square.

It also depends where you want that 500 HP. Up high in the RPM range (383 CI) or down low (stroker motor). Putting in a stroker crank isn't as easy as dropping it in only because extra attention needs to be given for clearance, etc... Building a 383 with a 440 crank (3.75" stroke) is quite reasonable and I'd consider that. You will get a low block 426.

That said MAHLE makes good pistons and has been for a long time. Ever hear of Porsche? Guess who their piston supplier is?

What CC's are the heads you plan on using? If it we me, I'd be looking for a 400 block and a stock stroke (same as a 383) doesn't bother me but a 440 crank in a 400 block makes a sweet combo....451 cubes.

I'm seeing more and more of that Combo Cranky....
I personally like it, from what I have been reading...

Auto Transport Service
Back