• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Removal

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Looks like I might want to pull my steering column for easier dash removal and interior painting ease. How difficult is this? I already Have the dash pulled back down and the column down via removal of the upper mounting bolts and loosened the the two fire wall bolts.
Is there just a pin in the column at the steering box locking it in?

Thanks for stopping by!

image.jpg

Yep if you knock that pin out the coupler should come off in one piece.
It has a master spline.

Wasn’t Master Spline in Madmax?

E9FB262F-2284-4C36-84D9-39380F707AA9.jpeg

So as I am examining the “pin” I need to knock out I see that there is a hole all the way through it. Does this mean that its not a solid pin but a rolled pin with a hollow center? Its difficult to see the pin due to age and stuff and I don’t want to start tapping until I know what I am tapping.

80C20FDD-0555-4FED-98B6-B36C271469F6.jpeg

Correct it's a roll pin.
Find a correct size drift and tap it out.
Might come out easier one way than the other.
Check your coupler for play in the two shoes inside before you remove it.
Grab the coupler with one hand and try and turn the steering shaft with the other.
Should be very little movement, if there is look up steer and gear.

There is not a real need to remove that coupler from the splined input shaft on the steering box, the steering column part can be pulled out as there is nothing holding it inside.
The shoes and spring will just slide out of the coupler.

735_steer-coup_low_res-jpg.jpg

Good luck getting the cover back on.
I'd knock out the roll pin.
But if you are replacing the seal on the collar that comes through the firewall then yes take the whole thing apart.

The above info is wrong the shoes will not come out of the coupler until the dowel pin located at the top of coupler is removed.
However while it is out I would take off the cover, check for wear and pack some grease in it.
It is easier to take the coupler out in one piece otherwise you have to try and load all those parts in to the coupler body working in the engine bay. Someone else has the hold the column for you. Next to impossible to do by yourself.

I couldn't get my pin out so took the column out and left the coupler attached. It's a good time to clean up and regrease the shoes inside the coupler. I got my cover back on with a bit of patience and luck.

Great info guys thanks but need just a bit more help here.

So I pulled the roll pin on the master Spline coupler. The column is tight to fully disengage. It has moved just over a 1/4 inch. But I am concerned about the assembly up at the bulk head. The trans linkage does that have to come off to get through the fire wall? Also that large collet has a spring clip in it that I removed. At this point she is hard pressed to come through....

7D40D425-D250-4E42-956E-78CFE1593542.jpeg 27A5125C-6D70-46E8-B6A6-9A6023AA4CF6.jpeg ED7ABEA1-E5C4-4429-AADB-C0620D2A3BD5.jpeg 632DBD49-1CEA-4313-A6DC-EB514DAE2126.jpeg image.jpg

Did you take the fasteners out of the plate/seal at the firewall?

Did you take the fasteners out of the plate/seal at the firewall?
The plate with the two 1/2” bolts yes but I am concerned about the trans linkage and collet near the firewall not clearing the hole in the firewall.

Does this plate have to come out to?

image.jpg

Does this plate have to come out to?

Yup I just pulled it off and the column dropped! Made it through the firewall fine!

The above info is wrong the shoes will not come out of the coupler until the dowel pin located at the top of coupler is removed.
However while it is out I would take off the cover, check for wear and pack some grease in it.
It is easier to take the coupler out in one piece otherwise you have to try and load all those parts in to the coupler body working in the engine bay. Someone else has the hold the column for you. Next to impossible to do by yourself.

You are correct, the drawing shows a "dowel pin" and a "roll pin", i had not seen any dowel pin in my assembly when i removed it and never installed one either.
Would be wise to to install one?

It probably would be but it is only a safety feature to stop the column coming completely apart. Obviously the coupler operates 100% correctly without it.
I got a rebuild kit and there was a new one in it.
In saying that if anything like that happened to the car "a crash" the car would be severely damaged and you probably would not be alive to care.

Yup that doll pin is obscured from the outside shaft by crap etc. but its obvious now looking at that it will need to come out. If I am in here what should I replace, machine etc (other than shes and seal)?

18A47F3F-0485-4BFB-BA38-4F4374B20B09.jpeg 0FB7AA62-BDAF-4F14-A967-32A96610955D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back