• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stellantis Struggles Continue

I'm a real cheapskate compared to most folks. I bought my 2002 Lexus ES300 from the dealer who sold it new, I was the fourth owner, previous two also bought it from the same dealer. I paid $10,000 for it in 2011, with 106,000 on the odometer. Still have it 13 years later, now with 228,000 miles. Other than routine wear items, and services, I've done nothing to it in that period. Probably the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned. My last new vehicle was a Chrysler 300C in 2007, loved the car, but refused to ever eat that much depreciation again.
Cheapskate ? I'd use the term "wise".

and I had a brand-new mid-70's Dart, which was the worst CAR I've ever had. I've had a Cordoba, a 79 300, and now one of my cars. Each one was, and is, fantastic.
My dad owned two new Valiants and one Dart in that era. The '67 Valiant was awesome, I drove it until 1980, and sold it only because I was returning to school and downsizing my fleet to one vehicle. The next one, a 1970, was junk from day one, and dad traded it off with only 19,000 miles on it in 1973. The new Dart he bought that year was a repeat of the '67 in quality, and served the family well for a decade. I bought a '75 Valiant in '83, and it was a good one. Quality sure varied with the vehicle in those days. The 1970 Valiant was the epitome of a Monday morning build.

and I had a brand-new mid-70's Dart, which was the worst CAR I've ever had. I've had a Cordoba, a 79 300, and now one of my cars. Each one was, and is, fantastic.
I drove a cordoba with a 400 for a few years... kinda loved that car although we didn't take good care of it :(

I purchased my brand new '79 300 in 1980 right off the showroom floor. I still have it; and it has been a great, reliable car.

It only took about two years of ownership for it to depreciate right into the basement. Virtually no one wanted one in the 1980's, 1990's, etc. However, I would receive compliments on it, as well as people making remarks such as "what is that", "I've never seen one of those", "I like that", "cool", & "that isn't a Grand Prix is it?"

Used truck prices are ridiculous, too.
Yes they are and is why I have never bought a new one except for one....a 92 Dakota 5.2 with 3.9 LSD rear. Just wish I had kept it!
I'm 6'3" and can usually get comfortable in small cars.... if I can get the seat far enough back, and low enough.
If I drive the gf's Dakota, I have to move the seat about 9"back, and down a couple, but I can get it there. Not a lot of leg length tho, 34 inseam.
My Tina race car (English Ford cortina) had enough room, but my Opel GT is a challenge. The seat is mounted straight to the floor, in what would be the back seat if there was one, and the steering wheel is flat on the bottom.
Fine for a few 1/8 mile laps, and a 25 mile drive to a show or cruise, but I sure wouldn't want to do 200 miles in it......
I'm only 5' 9" and have the seats in both of my Dakotas all the way back. Just glad it's enough and have tilt wheel. 'A' body cars are the same way and if they are not a 4 dr, I'm good. The doors on a mo door are too short for me to get in without banging my left shoulder blade on the B post and especially so when the seat is all the way back.
Not touching the outrageous prices... But for an explanation of why trucks have gotten huge.....

That doesn't surprise me one bit!!!! Just more intervention......
I’ll keep my 02 1500 and my 92 Dakota and redo them I’m disgusted with new vehicles and new Chrysler products. They got rid of what was a rock solid line up in the cars, the 300, Charger and challenger were dated platforms but they had the bugs out of them and the were good. This little 3.0 engine with hair driers lugging around a tank or pick up is stupid . Yes it can but bore and stroke make power and size does matter. I also feel quality has fallen off in the line up as they sit on the truck and Jeep line up say the hell with the rest...
Sure wish I had kept my 92 Dakota 5.2!! Never dreamed they would be so hard to find later on....
I heard in a couple of years they will get rid of the 6.4 and put in a new gas Cummins.
Gas fired Cummins???
Chrysler died when Iacocca took over. For me at least.
Man, he saved ChryCo IMO....they were on their death bed when he came on board.
had one , worst mopar I`ve ever owned ...
There's always a bad car in every batch.....I'm just glad I never got one but my dad did in 69 with a New Yorker. Everything on that car was a pile except for the 440 and that thing did nothing but haul ***!! It was the engine that hooked me for life!
The mid 70's A body cars fell from grace imo. It really surprised me how bad they got after being one of the best cars to have during the 60's.....

I'm a real cheapskate compared to most folks. I bought my 2002 Lexus ES300 from the dealer who sold it new, I was the fourth owner, previous two also bought it from the same dealer. I paid $10,000 for it in 2011, with 106,000 on the odometer. Still have it 13 years later, now with 228,000 miles. Other than routine wear items, and services, I've done nothing to it in that period. Probably the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned. My last new vehicle was a Chrysler 300C in 2007, loved the car, but refused to ever eat that much depreciation again.
Gotta love them…..! I have a 2003 ES300 I bought brand new in 03. Not a scratch on it and have not had to put anything into it except regular maintenance - and for some reason - batteries. The batteries only seem to last a bit over 2 yrs. The first car I had to buy in two decades because I took a job that did not come with a company car - but a lot more $$. Today the Lexus sits with 134k on it. What I like is every time you turn the key it starts and runs like a purring kitten. Never *******, never fails me. Still looks good model wise. I think I paid something like <35k for it. That car will never get sold until I’m too old to drive ….

Yes they are and is why I have never bought a new one except for one....a 92 Dakota 5.2 with 3.9 LSD rear. Just wish I had kept it!

I'm only 5' 9" and have the seats in both of my Dakotas all the way back. Just glad it's enough and have tilt wheel. 'A' body cars are the same way and if they are not a 4 dr, I'm good. The doors on a mo door are too short for me to get in without banging my left shoulder blade on the B post and especially so when the seat is all the way back.

That doesn't surprise me one bit!!!! Just more intervention......

Sure wish I had kept my 92 Dakota 5.2!! Never dreamed they would be so hard to find later on....

Gas fired Cummins???

Man, he saved ChryCo IMO....they were on their death bed when he came on board.

There's always a bad car in every batch.....I'm just glad I never got one but my dad did in 69 with a New Yorker. Everything on that car was a pile except for the 440 and that thing did nothing but haul ***!! It was the engine that hooked me for life!

The mid 70's A body cars fell from grace imo. It really surprised me how bad they got after being one of the best cars to have during the 60's.....
Si Senor...

There's always a bad car in every batch.....The mid 70's A body cars fell from grace imo. It really surprised me how bad they got after being one of the best cars to have during the 60's.....
Exactly, and that was my point. The A-body cars were great, dependable cars, I just had a bad apple out of the bunch. What was really bad, was their successor, the F-body junk. My disco-days Doba was a gem back then. As is the one I have now.

I purchased my brand new '79 300 in 1980 right off the showroom floor. I still have it; and it has been a great, reliable car.

It only took about two years of ownership for it to depreciate right into the basement. Virtually no one wanted one in the 1980's, 1990's, etc. However, I would receive compliments on it, as well as people making remarks such as "what is that", "I've never seen one of those", "I like that", "cool", & "that isn't a Grand Prix is it?"
Having owned one myself, it was a great car, especially for the era.

Hey hey now :poke: :lol:

DSC04119.JPG

Perhaps I should've clarified myself. My intent was I got an unusual crappy car for an A-body, as the poster mentioned he had a crappy Cordoba. Having loved, and worked/serviced many A-bodies back then, from first hand experience I knew how good these cars were... and are. My girlfriend at the time had a Swinger, which as most, was a wonderful car. The car in your pic ^^ :thumbsup:

Perhaps I should've clarified myself. My intent was I got an unusual crappy car for an A-body, as the poster mentioned he had a crappy Cordoba. Having loved, and worked/serviced many A-bodies back then, from first hand experience I knew how good these cars were... and are. My girlfriend at the time had a Swinger, which as most, was a wonderful car. The car in your pic ^^ :thumbsup:
No, I know, I was just bustin yer stones a little bit :thumbsup:

And thank you for the compliment.

Oh, and... whilst I would [almost] never dare to disagree or even question the wisdom from Mr Budnicks, The fact that the Hornet is an Alfa Romeo IS exactly what makes it interesting to me. Methinks I would like one for a daily, but cant afford it.
And theres that big of a backlog of Gladiators?!? 'round these parts, you cant pull up to an intersection anywhere w/o seeing one. Had Jeep gone ahead and produced the "OMT" / J12 prototype like they shoulda, I would own one of those if I had to live in it. Gladiator? not so much. They're growing on me tho.
Of course, one must remember that when talking 'Jeep' , XJs rule...

Dear Stellantis,

Your "cheap", new buggy is too small and your more right-sized vehicles are priced into the stratosphere.

What are you going to do when the revenue flow from the popular Chargers and Challengers ends?

View attachment 1676048View attachment 1676049

Dodge Hornet Falls to Second Slowest-Selling Car in America for June 2024
I still believe if they sold
the Gladiator as a two door,
6 foot bed, (and upped the
GVW a bit), and a V-8
under the hood, they'd sell
a bunch of them.
Poor sales is a direct
reflection as to what buyers
truely want.

Ive had Jeep grand cherokees for my daily driver and off roader for the last 25 years I think. Still have a 2021 Grand Cherokee trailhawk. I really like the one I have now. My 160,000 2014 was also a great rig for me.
Recently getting the 21 serviced I was looking at the new stuff. The only trailhawk grand cherokee is the hybrid. Cant tow with it either. The wagoneers are stupid money, expensive and not really that great a vehicle compared to the others in that size. I do like the gladiator as I had one for 3 months as a rental while my 21 was in the shop getting the off road damage corrected. I would not want to have that as my primary though.
I may be going elsewhere for my next 4wd based on what I see from stellantis right now.

111 jeep.jpg

1111jeep.jpg

Si Senor...

really low RPM power rated Gasoline engine like 3200-3500rpm max
& bottom end good torque, built in a Cummins diesel style block (they say)
yeah it should be tough, torque monster for gas

but Dodge/Ram neither says nothing/anything about it
in any Ram truck so far
or a Dodge car either
logical the latter, big heavy *** motor/low RPM not for a car

Auto Transport Service
Back