• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock or stall

Beep!Beep!

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Ok ,I have 70 roadrunner 440 -6 barrel, long tube headers,906 heads ,with a Hughes cam, specs in pictures, 3:70 gears 29x18w x15 mickeys, 727 auto. I was told to match it with 3500 stall which I did but at the time my gears were 4:55 ,everything else the same. I want to be able to cruise and maybe hit the track twice a year. Will this work? What would a stock converter do ? Again 3:70 ratio now. Cam card picture sucks lobe separation 110, centerline 106, lift intake 0.530, exhaust 0.536, duration @ .050. -228. 232

20240821_212019.jpg

20240817_201409.jpg

Last edited:
My 70 beeper with 484 cam single plane 780 Holley stock manifolds loves my 3000 stall but this is a 383 hope my input helps. Had a 3500 but overkill for a 383

My 70 beeper with 484 cam single plane 780 Holley stock manifolds loves my 3000 stall but this is a 383 hope my input helps. Had a 3500 but overkill for a 383
I don't have funds to switch just wondering what would be the best option.

I don't have funds to switch just wondering what would be the best option.
440 produces more torque and she’ll probably love your motor and combo. Give her a try and see. My problem is that extra 500 rpm was over kill

I have a 3500 in my 440 Valiant and I am very happy with it =
High 10s Street/Strip car. I do have a big trans cooler.

Your camshaft is very similar to mine but your's is a bit less duration.
I think you will be fine!

Just my .02 worth = for Free!

Last edited:
I have a 3500 in my 440 Valiant and I am very happy with it =
High 10s Street/Strip car. I do have a big trans cooler.

Your camshaft is very similar to mine but your's is a bit less duration.
I think you will be fine!

Just my .02 worth = for Free!
What gear are you running?

I have a [email protected] solid cam in a 440 with 3.23 gears and a factory 10 3/4" converter. Converter is a little tight for racing but I wouldn't change it for anything. Driving my car, in town or road , is my prime concern.

Contact Hughes and ask what they say would be best for your combination and driving habits. Just because the Fireball XCYZX 3500 works like a charm in my car doesn't mean it will perform the same in yours, unless our cars are identical. JMHO

That hughs cam is pretty small. I can't imagine needing much, if any , above a stock converter.

i was just looking on the hughs site and that cam only has 10 degrees duration at .050". a stock street hemi converter would easily match up to that with a proper tune. my cam has 18 degrees at .050" with a street hemi converter and works fine. i wouldn't use a 3.70 gear either. a 3.23 or 3.55 at most would work fine. doing all this low gear/loose converter stuff just works the engine rather than letting the engine do the work. loose converters and low gears are just band-aids for no torque engines. do you have a no torque engine? i think not.

Last edited:
If you don't have the funds just go with the stock stall for now. Save up for a nice custom convertor that is set up tight for street driving. In our 69 we run a 295/65/15(30" tall) m/t drag radial with 4.10s. We had a dynamic 9 1/2" built custom. It drives about like a 2200 stock stall, but stalls around 4300 on the brakes. It drives great doesn't slip idling around and leaves hard...IF it hooks. That has become a challenge. I have ran stock stalls and loose stalls..the loose convertor only works at the track...and a stock convertor seems pretty sad after driving a 9 1/2 that drives like its stock..but leaves like its a race car. We have now bought five 9 1/2" convertors for our other cars.

Does your 70 engine have the heavy connection rods? They are balanced different on the convertor then any of the Ly rod 440's.

Last edited:
If you don't have the funds just go with the stock stall for now. Save up for a nice custom convertor that is set up tight for street driving. In our 69 we run a 295/65/15(30" tall) m/t drag radial with 4.10s. We had a dynamic 9 1/2" built custom. It drives about like a 2200 stock stall, but stalls around 4300 on the brakes. It drives great doesn't slip idling around and leaves hard...IF it hooks. That has become a challenge. I have ran stock stalls and loose stalls..the loose convertor only works at the track...and a stock convertor seems pretty sad after driving a 9 1/2 that drives like its stock..but leaves like its a race car. We have now bought five 9 1/2" convertors for our other cars.

Does your 70 engine have the heavy connection rods? They are balanced different on the convertor then any of the Ly rod 440's.
Ly rods and I already have the converter

Every Tci I know of is pretty loose. Do they call it a 10"? If it slips much below 3500 it's going to cook the fluid until you get it near 75mph w 3.70s and a 29" tire. Heavier the car the worse it's going to slip. But it really depends on how it's put together inside as to how it will work for you. You may not know until you try it. We tried driving to town once with a loose 5500. Open headers and 4.88s.
The trip didn't go well. LOL

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back