• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The one thing you cannot buy for your car.....

kiwigtx

International Mod of Mystery
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
History!

You can buy most things for your car, but history cannot be bought. It happened once, and now it's gone.
I was talking about this with my good friend with the '65 Belvedere II convertible, and thought this would be a great thread to start. Lots of people out there have owned a car for a long time, so it would be cool to share all those old photo's.
So let's see your really old pics of your car as it was way back when.
I am trying to keep this to cars you actually own or did own, as not everyone can afford to keep all their cars together. An approximate date would be good also.

I'll start off with my '70 GTX. It spent the first 4 years of it's life in the States, and then headed off to New Zealand....

approx 1973 in Las Vegas;
LasVegas19732_zps5a692a16.jpg

fresh from the drag strip;
LasVegas1973_zps987267f9.jpg

from our oldest Hot Rod magazine in 1975;
June1975_zpsba7d053d.jpg

this is when I first saw the same car in June 1985;
June1985_zps5597964e.jpg

It was to be another 12 years before the car became mine :) Now that I think back about it, this GTX has to be the coolest car I have ever owned.....and I've had a few :wtg:

So let's see what you got.

Here's my car the day I bought it my senior year of high school back in 1979. I bought it from a very good friend who owned it for about a year, He found it parked near a barn while looking for places to hunt, at the time he owned a 1970 Road Runner and this was in much better shape so he made an offer and brought it home. That makes me the third owner, and I know the exact farm that it came from (he showed me on another hunting day) I had allot of fun in this car before it was even mine.
At the time most people didn't want anything to do with a muscle car, much less a Mopar.

GTX new.jpg

Well, I might as well add another '70 GTX. This one was my first car in high school.

GTX + 009 - Copy.jpg

Scan86.jpgScan87.jpg
1979. The 70 Super Bee I had in High School. 440 six pack, 4 speed, dana car. I used that car as a daily driver until 1984. I got married and traded it for a 68 Shelby KR. (wish I still had both cars today) Check out that Circus sideshow freak driving it. I can't believe my Father in Law actually let me marry his daughter. :p

That's a great looking crop of hair there QuickNick :hello2: Love the RR & Bee ...they look very tough :)

Mayflower.jpgMayflower2.jpg

Here are some pictures of my 69 Sport Satellite from about 1977 when I bought her from my brother. He was shipping out to the Navy. He owned her for a couple of years after he bought her from my uncle, who bought her new in 1969. I still have her and am currently doing a complete rotissourie restoration, doing all of the work myself.

if the pics uploaded this is my 73 u code that got parked in the garage for the last 25 yrs because it got me in trouble the kid in the pic now has his own

Attachments

• 32252740004_medium25042325.jpg
    32252740004_medium25042325.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 269
  • 32252740002_medium490155067.jpg
    32252740002_medium490155067.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 318
sweet pics guys!! :headbang:

i wish i had some olde pics of da GTXer...i've only had her for 5 years, and the paint (apart from a cut n buff) and the interior looks da same as she did when i picked her up in 8"snow w/a truck and trailer...and ^*##@* that i didnt take pics.:angryfire:

only real history i got with da car was a nice, intact build sheet and a fender tag...and the SO numbers all match. :hello2:

this is how she looks now

DSC03216.JPGGTX Interior (59).jpgGTX Exterior (109).JPGDSC03260.JPGGTX Exterior (106).JPG

Attachments

• DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 348
True. Can't find out anything about mine.

I think one of the big things here is that not many people took photos of their cars back in the 60's and early 70's....as it was just a car.
The original owner of my car never took a single picture....it was just a car, and he traded a '69 Super Bee to buy it. So while being a true MoPar guy, it still wasn't a big deal back then. After months of trying to track down the original buyer /owner of my car through exhaustive internet searches, and faxes/letters sent across the States, I eventually tracked him down. A friend of mine reminded me about the Dristan advertisement of the 70's on TV. Where by taking these pills, you could pack up your sinuses and move to Arizona. We had that TV advert running for years over here, with the guy breathing in that fresh clean Arizona air while laying on a deck chair. So I figured the owner of my car did much the same. He had basically packed all his possessions in the GTX and driven to Las Vegas to live. Owned the car for another year or so, and traded it on a Pontiac of all things at a big Dealership there. This is where it sat until a young Kiwi guy living there spotted it, and fell in love with it.

It's quite a long story, but the car had a minor repaint in around '72-'73, and some 'sweet' pin-striping, saw some drag race action and was basically driven a fair amount before being exported to NZ in September '74. I managed to find a little history on the drag racing, but decided not to dwell on that too much as I discovered it involved a well-known racer of the time. The more I researched, the worse it got....involves a driver who for want of a better phrase "is considered to be very familiar with the Hershey Highway" or as some say "an uphill gardener". :)

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise, and I wish I could get hold of some drag action pics from Vegas....maybe someone here will have stiff like that.

Keep the stories coming - it makes enjoyable reading. :headbang:

Picture of my car from the original owner. Taken in the summer of '69 (Cue Bryan Adams). Owner said he traded it in 1971 as his kids were starting to drive and he didn't want them driving it.
When it was at BJ on 2001
The first day I bought it.
Pic of my 70 Chevelle taken in the summer of '76. It was an odd car. 350-2bbl four speed with bench seat. I got it two weeks before my Junior prom.

Attachments

• When Joe owned it_600.jpg
    When Joe owned it_600.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 284
  • BJ_Auction_01.jpg
    BJ_Auction_01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 1st_day_3.jpg
    1st_day_3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Chevelle_600.jpg
    Chevelle_600.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 302
Nice cars :headbang:

I think one of the big things here is that not many people took photos of their cars back in the 60's and early 70's....as it was just a car.
The original owner of my car never took a single picture....it was just a car, and he traded a '69 Super Bee to buy it. So while being a true MoPar guy, it still wasn't a big deal back then. After months of trying to track down the original buyer /owner of my car through exhaustive internet searches, and faxes/letters sent across the States, I eventually tracked him down. A friend of mine reminded me about the Dristan advertisement of the 70's on TV. Where by taking these pills, you could pack up your sinuses and move to Arizona. We had that TV advert running for years over here, with the guy breathing in that fresh clean Arizona air while laying on a deck chair. So I figured the owner of my car did much the same. He had basically packed all his possessions in the GTX and driven to Las Vegas to live. Owned the car for another year or so, and traded it on a Pontiac of all things at a big Dealership there. This is where it sat until a young Kiwi guy living there spotted it, and fell in love with it.

It's quite a long story, but the car had a minor repaint in around '72-'73, and some 'sweet' pin-striping, saw some drag race action and was basically driven a fair amount before being exported to NZ in September '74. I managed to find a little history on the drag racing, but decided not to dwell on that too much as I discovered it involved a well-known racer of the time. The more I researched, the worse it got....involves a driver who for want of a better phrase "is considered to be very familiar with the Hershey Highway" or as some say "an uphill gardener". :)

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise, and I wish I could get hold of some drag action pics from Vegas....maybe someone here will have stiff like that.

Keep the stories coming - it makes enjoyable reading. :headbang:
Dristan? Who the heck remembers Dristan. Have not heard the term for more years than I can remember. Thanks for the memories.

Auto Transport Service
Back