• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad curb idle solinoid hangs up

Charlied

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
OK, got fast idle set right and set curb idle with solinoid.. However when I hit the gas engine revs up off the pedal and doesn’t drop. The plunger doesn’t retract automatically have to pop with screwdriver to release. What’s up? Choke issue ? I’m baffled.

OK, got fast idle set right and set curb idle with solinoid.. However when I hit the gas engine revs up off the pedal and doesn’t drop. The plunger doesn’t retract automatically have to pop with screwdriver to release. What’s up? Choke issue ? I’m baffled.
A idle solenoid should not retract until the ignition is shut off. If the engine is warmed up the choke fast idle cam should be fully released to allow the curb idle screw/solenoid to control the curb idle speed. Is all this occurring when the engine is fully warmed?
Mike

A idle solenoid should not retract until the ignition is shut off. If the engine is warmed up the choke fast idle cam should be fully released to allow the curb idle screw/solenoid to control the curb idle speed. Is all this occurring when the engine is fully warmed?
Mike
Yes,up to operating temp.curb idle right (1000) feather the throttle say to 2000 ,off the pedal idle doesn’t drop, solinoid operating ,pop the spring slightly and idle drops.
Do these solinoids go bad?
Am I right in saying function is to kick idle up slightly when A/C engaged.? Car is a factory A/C car.
Thanks for your help.

The solenoid plunger STAYS up. It retracts when the engine is shut off. Look at your choke and fast idle cam instead.

The solenoid plunger STAYS up. It retracts when the engine is shut off. Look at your choke and fast idle cam instead.
OK, finally isolated and ID the issue, the fast idle cam is getting hung up ever so slightly against the fuel bowl, not allowing it to freely move forward, that’s it
Will try first running emery board/paper against cam. Don’t want to try to bend cam as it would put pressure on fuel bowl.
Trying to avoid pulling carb off.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

OK, finally isolated and ID the issue, the fast idle cam is getting hung up ever so slightly against the fuel bowl, not allowing it to freely move forward, that’s it
Will try first running emery board/paper against cam. Don’t want to try to bend cam as it would put pressure on fuel bowl.
Trying to avoid pulling carb off.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Clean and lube it.

Auto Transport Service
Back