• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They sure don't build them like they used to...

ws27

Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
They sure don't build them like they used to...

And maybe that's a good thing.

I have a 94 Ram 2500 Cummins 5 spd. I bought it new, and have treated it like an old car. I love the truck and can't see buying another when this one is still going so well.

No rust, but the paint fell off of it, so I had it repainted. Twenty years, I still consider it my "new" truck.

Time flies, man does it ever.

The truck sits all winter, now in cozy, dry, and heated utopia. It really is only used for summer driving and long distance towing.

So for the past few (at least I thought) years, I had to charge up the batteries in the spring from sitting. Once I did that, the truck was perfect for the season. Well this year, I charged them up, drove to New Hampshire, then parked it again. Three weeks later, stone dead. So I charged them up again, thinking maybe I have a draw on the truck. Great, that can be hard to find. I took the truck to get an inspection sticker and while I was waiting, I though, maybe those batteries are like 7 or 8 year old, maybe I just need to change them.

I opened up my log, which dates back to Jan of 94 when I took delivery. I started from the back, it's a long log, I document everything, and I mean everything. Right down to tire pressure changes and every drop of diesel that ever went through the tail pipe. Page after I go back, 08, 07,06 keep going. At 2000, I figured I must have missed the battery change. So I go back to the end of the log. Nope, no record, OK, I must have had an OCD laspse and forgot to log the battery change. They couldn't be more than 14 years old, could they be.

Long story short (I know too late) I installed them in Sept of 1997!!!!!

17 year old batteries? Still working? Personally I've never seen that before. I'm going to take one last trip to VA with them, then maybe change them out since I really do let the poor old truck sit too much.

Post up the longest useable battery you've ever had. Maybe this is more the norm?

holy crap!!! even when taking care of them, I've seen 10 years and I thought that was epic! lol

is it an actual "MoPar" battery?

The original battery in my Rumble Bee lasted 8 years and that's the longest life that I have ever got out of a battery. Guess what I put back in? :)

I finally had to replace the original Mopar battery in my wife's 99 Prowler two years ago. 13 years isn't too bad. I'll be surprised if I get half that much life out of the replacement. I really do think that the old batteries were better. These days they say that if you get 5 years out of 'em you are doing pretty good.

I have a 2004.5 Ram 3500 Dually, it is on its original pair of batteries. I have been thinking I should change them, but I will get through this season at least. Who ever supplied those to Chrysler built a quality product.

-Mark

my 2004.5 3500 ram cummins batteries made it till jan 1st of this year....they never left me stranded but they were starting to crank slow and I saw a great deal on two deka batteries.

Bought a 1996 F250 diesel in 2002 from the original owner with 45k on the clock. He'd mentioned to me that the batteries still tested good, so I presumed at the time that he meant they were still original to the truck (and there was no paperwork for new batteries in the stack of receipts he gave me). Well, I've now had the truck over 12 years, and if the batteries were original when I got the truck, that puts them at 18 years and counting. The truck was my daily driver for years but lately it mainly sits in the garage on a tender. Always still starts right up.

I'm curious to see some more guys from the deep south weigh in where the heat is brutal on batteries.

I had an Optima Red Battery, 1st used in my 1984 Toyota 4x4, then in my in a 1989 Yamaha Gas Golf cart, after I gave the Toyota to one of my girls,
{I got the Optima for cost when I working for P.U.E.C.}, it was in the Yamaha cart/Toyota from Oct. 1996 to about Sept. 2006 IIRC,
I exchanged/swapped it out of the cart, for an Interstate Battery that wasn't very good anymore that was in my 99 Dakota,
when I sold the Golf cart...
The Optima Red Top lasted until last year, early winter 2013 Jan. IIRC, it finally gave up, I don't drive much lately & the truck sits for days or even weeks at a time, but thankfully it had one last start in it, or I'd have been stranded in the snow up the mountain...
17+ years
I replaced it with another Optima Red Top Battery $212 from Summit Racing...

I've had great luck with Optima's,
Used them in many of my cars/boat/truck/toys,
I'll continue to use them, I've never got less than 10+ years out of one so far, in 4x4's, boats, racecars, golf-carts & Daily Drivers...

Calif. temps ranging from Sacramento Valley 100*+ HOT summers & 0*-teens COLD snowy winters in the Sierras

I had an Optima Red Battery, 1st used in my 1984 Toyota 4x4, then in my in a 1989 Yamaha Gas Golf cart, after I gave the Toyota to one of my girls,
{I got the Optima for cost when I working for P.U.E.C.}, it was in the Yamaha cart/Toyota from Oct. 1996 to about Sept. 2006 IIRC,
I exchanged/swapped it out of the cart, for an Interstate Battery that wasn't very good anymore that was in my 99 Dakota,
when I sold the Golf cart...
The Optima Red Top lasted until last year, early winter 2013 Jan. IIRC, it finally gave up, I don't drive much lately & the truck sits for days or even weeks at a time, but thankfully it had one last start in it, or I'd have been stranded in the snow up the mountain...
17+ years
I replaced it with another Optima Red Top Battery $212 from Summit Racing...

I've had great luck with Optima's,
Used them in many of my cars/boat/truck/toys,
I'll continue to use them, I've never got less than 10+ years out of one so far, in 4x4's, boats, racecars, golf-carts & Daily Drivers...

Calif. temps ranging from Sacramento Valley 100*+ HOT summers & 0*-teens COLD snowy winters in the Sierras

Optima makes a good battery to be sure, and they are very popular here in Texas.

I opened up my log, which dates back to Jan of 94 when I took delivery. I started from the back, it's a long log, I document everything, and I mean everything. Right down to tire pressure changes and every drop of diesel that ever went through the tail pipe.

Same with me and my '01 Ram. I have everything written in a log since I took delivery in April of 2000 - including fuel fill ups. (Not tire pressures, though.) I got 5 years out of my original batteries. I bought Mopar replacements in the summer of 2005. I just replaced those in December, so I got 8.5 years out of them - which I thought was pretty good with WI winters. Like you, I'm taking care of the body to keep this truck going as long as I'm driving. I did have some body patching and painting done last summer - and a little more to come this summer. It's been through 14 WI winters as my daily driver, and people can't believe it's a 14 year old truck.

I got 12 years out of a battery once but, It was in the best lawn mower deal i ever had, it was a 38 inch cut Murray, one of the cheapest made and bought it used for 200 bucks and when i sold it (12 years later), it was getting bad but still doing its job.. The longest car battery i ever had was 5 years old, i think you got one good set this time, hopefully the next, will do the same but that i wouldn't bet on anymore. What brand are they?

My current daily driver is a 2004 2wd 5 speed 3.7 Dakota and it's been my best vehicle yet (for reliability). At about 90,000 it needed a universal joint, at 100,00 a fuel pump, 130,00 I rebuilt the front suspension and it's at 160,00 and still running strong. What makes it such an impressive little truck is the 3.7 doesn't ever seem to struggle even with a Ton of gravel in it and it gets worked hard hauling firewood and everything else regularly.

love them Dakotas! my buddy Jeff had one with (IIIRC) a 318.

BEAT THE LIVING SH*T out of it everyday he had it, and it asked for more.

damn thing would bark em going into second...with an automatic!! lol

love them Dakotas! my buddy Jeff had one with (IIIRC) a 318.

BEAT THE LIVING SH*T out of it everyday he had it, and it asked for more.

damn thing would bark em going into second...with an automatic!! lol

My buddy ordered one with a 318, 5 speed and a posi rear end (his was the last year of the boxy body) and it was an animal. It was nothing to eat up Mustangs, Camaro's and get sideways just for fun.

55655t (Small).jpgIve had a few trucks in my life but the best i ever owned was my 97 Ram 1500 4-4, It was in great shape with a 318 and i could go down our dirt road and outside of a normal truck ride you couldn't here nothing, It was a short bed and i think the best thing to me was it looked great, i loved the body style it had, The guy i bought it from told me the battery wasn't any good but i charged it and never failed on me until i sold it, i did have to rebuild the trans in it but it was a keeper, i had to sell it for personal reasons but the other half of the money left went toward a lot of new metal for my car so it wasn't a total loss any way.. It was a Durolast battery, i wish i would have kept that and put the one from my 73 in the truck but it wouldn't have been right to do it, the 73 was newer but not a heavy duty as that Ram should have had. Good battery though and my next one i think will be the same!
I didn't think i had a picture on this computer but i do, truck is dirty, but all my trucks seemed to be dirty, ITS a truck!

- - - Updated - - -

Mopar or not, Best dog-gone truck ive ever had, winter work truck it was!

Well I made it back from VA with out any problems, so time to get rid of them. I can't chance it. I think using a battery tender is the way to go to keep them going longer. Thanks for the input. Let's see how long these new ones last...

My 2004 Tundra Limited 4X4...?
Battery lasted 10 years

My 2007 Shelby GT500 (the driver one I sold last June) ?
Battery lasted 4.5 years!

Yours "tops" all...in the Battery longevity category!

Congrads!

Auto Transport Service
Back