• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time for a show lets see the 71-74's

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Dart but I've found a few pics of them with the 69 Super Bee and Duster scoops.

If Darts came with these scoops than I don't see anything wrong with using them on other cars. Chrysler would have put these scoops on the Charger if they had a need for them. It's actually a little odd that they used the 440 6 pack scoop that originated in '63 and doesn't fit the Charger's lines as well. I wouldn't cry if my car came with one, but if I was in charge of Dodge's styling department, the Charger would have gotten the Duster scoop instead.

Dodge_Dart_Demon_dual_hood_scoops.jpeg

Dodge_Dart_Demon_Duster_hood_scoop_01.jpeg

Dodge_Dart_Demon_Duster_hood_scoop_02.jpeg

I've been binge-watching 71-72 NASCAR. This period is a bit before my time so it's fascinating to see these cars on the race track, especially the slower tracks where the 68-70 cars can mix it up with the 71-72 cars (instead of getting blown away like they do on the fast tracks). I usually think of the 2nd gen Charger as being better looking than the 3rd gen, but on the track the 3rd gen looks like a powerful, hulking brute and the 2nd gen is more dainty and delicate looking. Most of the effect is in the fuselage styling around the c pillar. The 3rd gen has so much visual mass there, where the 2nd gen greenhouse is tapering down into the flying buttresses. Sorry 2nd gen owners, but the 3rd gen looks like it can beat up the 2nd gen and take its lunch money - which it is actually doing on the faster tracks.

I was upset to hear Petty say the 71 cars were less aerodynamic than the previous cars, even though it was only because they'd begun running open windows and window nets. Even like that, they were getting into the 190's at Talladega. One of the other drivers hit 212, I think it was in a Mercury. It makes me wonder what the top end speed would be with windows. Lamborghinis and Ferraris of the 80's and 90's don't seem so special anymore. I don't think many muscle cars were built for overall top speed, but if you wanted a 200 mph 3rd gen that seems doable.

Not mine but a ‘71 440 Six Pack 4 speed Charger posted on Youtube on My Car Story.…

It didn't take long to find "that guy" in the comments -

"Not a fan of that series, prefer 69, but that car is gotta be the quintessential specimen" - JohnCBurzynski

At least John isn't one of the vehement "2nd gen preferrers" that has to let everyone know how very ugly he finds the 3rd gen to be. Some of those guys are going to give themselves an aneurysm.

It didn't take long to find "that guy" in the comments -

"Not a fan of that series, prefer 69, but that car is gotta be the quintessential specimen" - JohnCBurzynski

At least John isn't one of the vehement "2nd gen preferrers" that has to let everyone know how very ugly he finds the 3rd gen to be. Some of those guys are going to give themselves an aneurysm.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and bet that there was at least one comment on the 3G Plymouth being someone's "not a fan of" car.
For some reason, some people just can't help themselves to not comment negatively on those cars.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and bet that there was at least one comment on the 3G Plymouth being someone's "not a fan of" car.
For some reason, some people just can't help themselves to not comment negatively on those cars.

By 3rd gen, do you mean 71-74 Road Runner or 75?

I've heard "some people" don't like the 71-74 Road Runners, but I haven't seen the comments myself yet. No doubt they are out there.

I often see negative comments about the 3rd gen Charger in any video where it's mentioned, even in a video about a Magnum. The comments typically start with "I prefer the 68 Charger," and sometimes continue into a lengthy and apoplectic rant against the 3rd gen. I've seen a couple comments about how there are so few 3rd gen Chargers around because they are "garbage builds." Really?! It's almost exactly the same car as the 2nd gen Charger and every other b-body people love! So why are those cars still around? And I've been over every square inch of mine, inside and outside, above and beneath. I haven't found a lot to complain about. Some areas are prone to rust but these cars were not intended to last 50+ years. Probably more like 2-3 at the time. I'm confident my Charger will, barring any accidents, still be on the road when the 2023 cars are crumbling into plastic dust. Sounds like a win to me!

I can't help thinking that at least some of "those guys" are terrified of something other than what they've invested in gain value. I have to also add that, most times I've heard those comments, they've come from people who only have a mopar or two because they've become valuable in their old age. I've only ever owned 2 vehicles in my life (for my personal use) that weren't mopars, and they were just stepping stones to keep a ride to work while I was rebuilding my grenaded 340, and I'm still a blue collar, get by guy, so I'll happily take any of those unwanted 71's they have uglying up their garage! Lol. I much prefer 71 Dodge and Plymouth B bodies over the square body cars, but I don't start my sentences with "I dig your A12, but I'm really a 71 guy" lol

I can't help thinking that at least some of "those guys" are terrified of something other than what they've invested in gain value. I have to also add that, most times I've heard those comments, they've come from people who only have a mopar or two because they've become valuable in their old age. I've only ever owned 2 vehicles in my life (for my personal use) that weren't mopars, and they were just stepping stones to keep a ride to work while I was rebuilding my grenaded 340, and I'm still a blue collar, get by guy, so I'll happily take any of those unwanted 71's they have uglying up their garage! Lol. I much prefer 71 Dodge and Plymouth B bodies over the square body cars, but I don't start my sentences with "I dig your A12, but I'm really a 71 guy" lol

To be fair, I may have crapped on the 6th generation Mustang and I like the 7th even less. Not to mention the Mach E, or 4 door "Chargers." And C4-8 Corvettes. The more I think about it, I may be just as bad as the guys who don't like 71-74 Chargers and Road Runners.

Auto Transport Service
Back