• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar removal

64 Max Wedge

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
Any tips on getting a sticky bar out? I know the old vise grip/hammer idea but...

NEVER A vise grip, use the recommended torsion removal tool by miller.
get the weight off the front end,loosen the torsion bar 3/4 bolt all the way relieving pressure. take out the retainer clips in the back of torsion bar crank down on the bar and smack away. 1st spray a ton of wd-30 in the control arms, let it soak for a few hours 1st.
remember you'll need a set of large c clamps to squeeze the control arm to get them back in. do them evenly both sides. i mark where they were originally

Do what Super suggests but if it is still stuck you can loosen the large LCA nut and the strut rod, knock the shaft back and get some more play to work with.

And the reason you don't use a vice grip is because you don't want to scratch the bar. Any significant defect in the metal can cause a stress riser and the bar may break at that point. This warning is in the factory service manual.

I had the LCA pin nuts off and used a big pry bar between the K frame and the LCA.
Of course I also had the tie rods and ball joits off.

And the reason you don't use a vice grip is because you don't want to scratch the bar. Any significant defect in the metal can cause a stress riser and the bar may break at that point. This warning is in the factory service manual.

X2!!!

DO NOT USE VISEGRIPS!! Its tempting cuz you might get frustrated, but dont do it.

I was about to buy the removal tool, but Im a cheap SOB, so I made my own thing.

2x4, cut one piece 1ft and other 6in, drill some holes in em, put one up to the TB, put the other on other side and bolt tightly with whatever bolts you have around TB. The closer the bolts to the TB the better. Then once its tight, hammer on the wood. Works good and you wont scratch your TB in any way. Ive done it this way a few times.

Good luck

just get the tool. It will be a breeze and you will be removing them correctly. I struggled for awhile trying to get them off, bought the tool and used it for both removal and installation....

Thanks for the tips guys. I've used vise grips before (over rags and cardboard to protect the bars) with success. But these are being kind of stubborn. There are some things that weren't put together correctly during restoration so... Like a strut rod dangling from the k member! Handles kind of funky when you have that. Tends to want to turn pretty hard under braking!?! I'll look for the tool.

Use a piece of brass and a hammer that's what i used, worked fine. I hit it where the nut goes until it was loose, came out in 30 seconds once i remembered the to take the clip out. Not a mark on the bars.

Auto Transport Service
Back