• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trail Cameras

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
Just like the title says...I've been searching for a trail camera for the house for a few days now. More on that shortly...

Holy crap there are a ton of em!! Need help picking goodun. Want it to be simple to operate, have wi-fi/bluetooth so I can either see the camera live while Im at the house or patch into it to at a later time and check the pics/video. Battery operated or plugged in, doesn't matter. Price isn't too much of a concern, but I'm not spending a grand for a friggin trail camera. lol

Now on to the impetus for getting said camera. I found this in my bird bath. Yes, you read that right, IN the friggin bird bath.

IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3551.jpg

Looks like Coon scat to me. I want to see the size of this bastard so I know what means of dispatching it with extreme prejudice I need to employ.

coons.jpg

:thankyou: Drive-Thru

Looks like Coon scat to me.
Yeah....one that is 6'4" and wearing Air Jordan's...... :lol:

Wow, that is a nasty looking lump. Do you have any security lighting around the house? ....asking for a friend :poke:

if you have plug in power and wifi, this is better than a game camera....will last longer if it is placed under a soffit or some cover....cheap and you can load an app on your phone to watch stored video or live..you can also move the camera on your phone. it with alert you with movement. it stores up to 24 hours of video for free, anything longer you will have to pay for storage. i've had mine for 5 years and still going....there are other brands that our just as reasonable.

Security Camera, App Compatible, Wall-Mount, Outdoor-Rated - White

if you have plug in power and wifi, this is better than a game camera....will last longer if it is placed under a soffit or some cover....cheap and you can load an app on your phone to watch stored video or live..you can also move the camera on your phone. it with alert you with movement. it stores up to 24 hours of video for free, anything longer you will have to pay for storage. i've had mine for 5 years and still going....there are other brands that our just as reasonable.

Security Camera, App Compatible, Wall-Mount, Outdoor-Rated - White

A couple of questions for you if you wouldn't mind...

1) Can I see the camera directly without the app? I want to use my laptop to administer/view it.

2) Will it turn on with the motion sensor? I would rather not have it recording all the time.

Thank you!

1. i have only used the app on my phone, but don't see why you couldn't do the same on a lap top on wifi...
2. it records for 24hrs and then deletes and starts over. You receive a notification when there is movement, so you can review the video. You can pay a cloud service for extra storage, but i haven't needed it. when i receive a notification, i check the video, if i want to keep it, i can save the picture or video on my phone. it has worked well for tracking 2 teenage boys:) i also hunt and have several Reconxy trail cameras that work great, but they are on the pricey side, and the batteries will kill you. You can buy a $80 trail camera, but it depends on the quality of picture you want. The cheaper the camera, the slower the trigger speed and picture quality.

1. i have only used the app on my phone, but don't see why you couldn't do the same on a lap top on wifi...
2. it records for 24hrs and then deletes and starts over. You receive a notification when there is movement, so you can review the video. You can pay a cloud service for extra storage, but i haven't needed it. when i receive a notification, i check the video, if i want to keep it, i can save the picture or video on my phone. it has worked well for tracking 2 teenage boys:) i also hunt and have several Reconxy trail cameras that work great, but they are on the pricey side, and the batteries will kill you. You can buy a $80 trail camera, but it depends on the quality of picture you want. The cheaper the camera, the slower the trigger speed and picture quality.

:thankyou:

I used to use a couple way back when, like 2003-ish to 2007
Reconyx brand, made in USA out of Wisconsin IIRC
(I went thru a few cheapos, like $49 specials from Bass Pro IIRC,
the 'Chinese cheapos' were junk, really grainy views & shitty photos)
I think the newer ones have a better batteries
the changing a couple 9vt or 5-6 AA batteries constantly was a PITA
& pricey over time $$$

I found a good write up on them too

Best Trail/Game Cameras Made in the USA: 2022 - All American Reviews

don't know much about them now
don't have the cameras anymore, since like 2007
when I moved up here
$599, (freaken' Amazon I won't buy anything from them/Jeff Bezos)
wow really came up in price, not sure the options on the new ones
I had old tech stuff, not remote connections to my phone or 'Puter'
I think the ones I had were only $199, but images were good, black & white
had like a 80-100' infrared sensor ranges, 120* sweep angle IIRC
I had 3 going out towards the open land, when I lived in Ranch Murieta CC
I think it has a sensitivity setting too, so anything like bugs small birds etc.
didn't set it off
it had a sim card 16mb or 32mb like the digital cameras all have, for storage
pull it out & view with an adapter on the "puter"
or the USB port cable plug in
or view right on the spot on the camera
(I would think they probably have a lesser/cheaper model still)
we had a bobcat coming & going, it had it's kits/litter under my deck
(driving my dogs crazy)
& later a procupine problem
(destructive lil' bastards)
saw a lot of "coons", deer, neighborhood cats, a few stray dogs & lots of birds

none of them, **** in my bird feeder :poke:

I'm pretty sure the newer ones are far more tech savvy,
I didn't care about that stuff, I didn't save any photos to give you an example
it was some time ago

we used them where I went pig hunting up in/above Lake Berryessa Hills
on my buds property & the fields I used to hunt Pheasant too

Good luck MarPar

Last edited:
I use the Ring video door bell products. They have some that use a battery with solar panel, wired, and just battery. The App is good and lets you know that there is movement in the area pattern that you set. For the price and picture quality i am happy with them. Oh live feed also!

Auto Transport Service
Back