• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny Fluid question

+3 was developed for the computer controlled 604 trans. It turned into +4 for the later units.The original type a,dexron 2,and type f are the ones that turned into varnish in the 60’s and 70’s. Type f was originally used in trannys that had bronze frictions,it has less friction modifiers in a very old formula. It does give a firmer feel to the shifts in most cases. Any oil thin enough will operate an automatic,the trannys in our APCs used light motor oil. The friction composition is really what dictates the oil .
Having said that,any atf will work. Back in the Dex 2 and 3 days Transgo would recommend adding 30 wt to heavy duty units for added lube. I run dex3/ mercon in my 727 and it shifts plenty firm. The newer tfs have different friction materials than the older ones do,we put +4 in those. Bottom line is they all work in older trannies like ours,I’d stay away from the low viscosity oils like dex 6, the fluidics in our trannies weren’t designed for that thin oil.
Ain’t no magic oil,if your tranny slips,there’s something wrong with it.

what exactly is the difference?
The difference between Type F and DEXRON has mainly to do with the static and dynamic friction performance parameters of the clutch plates (i.e. shift characteristics) that the OEM is targeting. ATF+4 would be a good choice for the 727 as Chrysler was trying to protect the older transmissions (727) while meeting the performance requirements of their new transmissions. As an FYI, DEXRON III (as a specification) doesn't exist anymore because the base oils used with that additive package don't exist and neither do the transmission tests used to validate a formulation.

The 727 is not picky on fluid. I prefer the newer ATF+4, but Dextron works fine.
Type F does not lube as well, but shifts harder, and seems harder in the transmission.
If I want firmer shifts, TransGo 2 shift kit and Dextron (or ATF+4).
I'll agree with that. Been racing 1/4 mile for decades using Dextron. Back in the 90's I tried a season with type F on a new rebuild. I really couldn't tell if the trans shifted firmer (4000+ stall converter) but end of season teardown revealed beat up brass with type F.

Never again.

I'll agree with that. Been racing 1/4 mile for decades using Dextron. Back in the 90's I tried a season with type F on a new rebuild. I really couldn't tell if the trans shifted firmer (4000+ stall converter) but end of season teardown revealed beat up brass with type F.

Never again.
never had a problem with type F , never had or saw varnish in any but hi mileage ignored trans missions ...

Auto Transport Service
Back