• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Mid-plate

Gospel Runner

Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
Anyone running a mid-plate between the engine and Transmission? I have a front plate, is the mid-plate necessary? Can the mid-plate cause the starter plunger, to not engage with the flywheel gears properly? Thank up!

In my Arrow tube car I had both the front plate and a mid plate. Never had a problem with starter engagement. I think it was 3/16 maybe 1/4". The advantage of the mid plate for me was the ability to quickly & easily remove my 727 trans.

I have a front and mid-late in my Challenger street car. If I remember correctly it is .120 thick. No issues with starting engagement or hanging up.

No mid plate in mine. Yes, the converter needs to be speced for a plate. My car has been together for 9 years, 750 passes. It has run 1.25/9.0@150. It does have fore/aft travel limiters. Never an issue not running amid plate.
Doug

Yep, running a mid plate. .250. Shouldn't effect the starter, but you will have to make sure your converter has the thicker bolt hole pads on it.

No mid plate in mine. Yes, the converter needs to be speced for a plate. My car has been together for 9 years, 750 passes. It has run 1.25/9.0@150. It does have fore/aft travel limiters. Never an issue not running amid plate.
Doug

The thin mid plate I ran didn't require the extended hub on the convertor although one of my convertors maybe had a hub that was slightly longer. I also ran a standard old style starter. It engaged the starter ring just fine. Longer locating studs in the block for the 727 though.

My Dodge SS/MP 4spd car has a mid plate I installed in about '84. Made it easier to pull trans and work on the drivetrain. Works well and aided in complete motor trans exchange and running again, in about 40 mins. Mine bolts on the outside top edge of the scatter shield, so no starter or other fit issues.

Actually a midplate allows the starter deeper toward the rear since the starter bolts to the trans. But you have to make sure the converter hub sets deep enough into the crank.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back