• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission tail shaft too far to passenger side

green440duster

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks I recently installed my 440 and 4 speed back in my 68 charger (together from the bottom). I am using poly lock mounts on the engine and polyurethane on the transmission, everything went in great except for the transmission tail shaft is shifted hard to the passenger’s side for some reason. Everything fits fine engine side, even the shifter a bar but it isn’t right somehow, any ideas??? I am trying not to get violent with it since I have fresh paint underneath

Do you have the engine brackets bolted on correctly? One on the wrong side of the block lugs.
Mike

Do you have the mount brackets on the front side of the block ears by chance, just on one side possibly?

I ran into this on a early B. Loosen all the engine mount bolts and the insulators.Along with the tranny mount.
Wiggle the tranny/tail shaft and see if that helps the driveline alignment. Kinda settles everything into place.Worked for me.

I just put my engine 4 speed tranny in my 69 Charger…..it all bolted up well…..my bet is you have engine mount bolted on wrong….just take your time viewing them…..you’ll find the issue….no reason to get upset…..stay calm…..I spent a day just installing my new exhaust system….I’m attempting to fire mine up tomorrow…..everything looks good…..I’ll find out soon….

Ran into just that more than once. Sometimes the weight settles a little bit off on the engine mounts. Loosen all the mount bolts just enough. Unbolt the trans mount. *Slightly* raise the engine/trans assy. Place a wood 2x3 between the trans tailshaft and the tunnel on the side that's too close. Slowly lower engine/trans to center the tailshaft and bolt the trans mount. Tighten engine mount bolts. Knock the piece of wood out. Crude, but it works if everything else is correct.

Isn't transmission offset to the passenger side, normal?

Ran into just that more than once. Sometimes the weight settles a little bit off on the engine mounts. Loosen all the mount bolts just enough. Unbolt the trans mount. *Slightly* raise the engine/trans assy. Place a wood 2x3 between the trans tailshaft and the tunnel on the side that's too close. Slowly lower engine/trans to center the tailshaft and bolt the trans mount. Tighten engine mount bolts. Knock the piece of wood out. Crude, but it works if everything else is correct.
Sounds like a plan.

I will get some pictures later this week, I think the mounts are installed properly but I will definitely back them off and wiggle everything. I have pics of the motor installed on the k frame.
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back