• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Floor Help

CherryBomb

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
I have reached the point in my project where I am now discovering the things that were missing when I bought the car. So much for "everything that was taken off is packed in the car"... I am figuring it might be easiest to make my own insert that goes over the spare wheel recess, but I am not certain what that should look like. Is it just a circle over that recess, or is it a panel that covers most of the floor of the trunk? If anyone could share pics I would greatly appreciate it!

I think I generally know what the side inserts look like, and what the vinyl trunk liner should look like, so once I get this sorted I am off and running.

It looks like this.

Screenshot_20240712_132516_Chrome.jpg

The one above might actually be better than OEM.
It looks plastic or at least coated.
OEM is fiber board and is prone to warping and even bloating like particle board.

If someone traced one it's easy to make. I call masonite 1/4" thick. Today's tires are to wide, different sidewall ratio. you put your modern spare and board doesn't fit right.

Masonite.

That's what I was trying to think of.

Masonite.

That's what I was trying to think of.
Took me a few minutes to get the name off the tip of my tongue. Covered work bench with it, but you need to wipe up oil. Doesn't suck up oil just don't let it sit.

I ordered one a few years ago. I didn't install it because it looks likes the spare is needed to support it. Since modern tires are usually too big, what are people using to support the trunk sub floor?

I ordered one a few years ago. I didn't install it because it looks likes the spare is needed to support it. Since modern tires are usually too big, what are people using to support the trunk sub floor?
Don't know what you mean sub-floor? Are you talking tire well or the piece that covers tire well? I hold down the jack hook jack base lug wrench and spare as factory. The masonite cover just lay on top with mat on top.
Spare2.jpg
Spare3.jpg
Spare1.jpg

I have reached the point in my project where I am now discovering the things that were missing when I bought the car. So much for "everything that was taken off is packed in the car"... I am figuring it might be easiest to make my own insert that goes over the spare wheel recess, but I am not certain what that should look like. Is it just a circle over that recess, or is it a panel that covers most of the floor of the trunk? If anyone could share pics I would greatly appreciate it!

I think I generally know what the side inserts look like, and what the vinyl trunk liner should look like, so once I get this sorted I am off and running.
Chargers have carpeted trunks.

Where does the wheel nut/jack handle go? I have yet to see where it can neatly tuck into anywhere. So far I place it alongside the spare tire hoping it won't rattle. And is there supposed to be a second wing nut to hold the spare cover down? Maybe the carpet is sufficient for that.

Your wheel well in trunk is the same as my 66 Satellite, correct? Lug/jack handle would go under spare tire so it doesn't rattle. Think jack instructions show that.

Where does the wheel nut/jack handle go? I have yet to see where it can neatly tuck into anywhere. So far I place it alongside the spare tire hoping it won't rattle. And is there supposed to be a second wing nut to hold the spare cover down? Maybe the carpet is sufficient for that.

Your wheel well in trunk is the same as my 66 Satellite, correct? Lug/jack handle would go under spare tire so it doesn't rattle. Think jack instructions show that.
There are provisions to store it in the quarter on the drivers side.

As mentioned the jack handle goes under the tire. Hook goes on top of the tire with a wing nut. Fibreboard cover has a concave shaped washer and a wing nut to hold it down.
Jack stand fits where RemCharger shows, spring holds it down IIRC.

Auto Transport Service
Back