• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal Flashing Speed

HillsBilly

Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. I've looked for a previous thread but don't see one relevant to my issue. The turn signals on my 67 Belvedere II flash rapidly but my emergency signals flash normally. When this happens on my late model pickup it's typically a bad bulb. All my bulbs work on my Plymouth. Not sure where to start trouble shooting.

There are two flashers, one for turn signals, another for the emergency flashers. Check your turn signal flasher first.

If any of the bulbs are the wrong wattage that can happen.
Check they are the correct ones for the car. If not probably the flasher unit.

Hey all. I've looked for a previous thread but don't see one relevant to my issue. The turn signals on my 67 Belvedere II flash rapidly but my emergency signals flash normally. When this happens on my late model pickup it's typically a bad bulb. All my bulbs work on my Plymouth. Not sure where to start trouble shooting.
The original turn signal flasher was a THERMAL type that uses the current to the front & rear bulbs (2) to operate . The flasher has two (2) terminals; about 1-1/4" OD diameter; may be labelled TUNG SOL and a "BLUE ish" color. The EMERGENCY FLASHER is similar and may be a TUNG SOL unit, maybe a "gold ish" color and operates thermally thru all four (4) bulbs current draw. A better replacement unit would be one made by SIGNAL STAT.
The turn signal flasher and the emergency flasher are similar appearing but NOT interchangeable because of the different current required to operate......the flashers are usually mounted against the ash tray housing to act as a sounding board.....just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Hey All. Thanks for all the great replies. Have been tied up but will try the suggestions and go from there.

NAPA has an electro mechanical 552 flasher with an electronically controlled flash rate. My hazards flashed way too quickly and the NAPA flasher cured it. I suspect your current flasher is weak causing it to cycle too fast.

Flashing rapidly means a burned out bulb element from my travels. Also if when the signals are working and you get pulsing in your other dash lights, that means bad grounds.

You have a heavy duty flasher into the turning signals provision. Heavy duty flashers (i.e. hazzards) needs more power to heat and get cold the bimetallic inside getting a the propper gap between flashings due the total wattage destined to work when feeding more bulbs than “regular” turning signals flashers. When there is not enough load taken by the blinking system the flasher gets hot and cold faster.

Same happens when one bulbs burns out specially on turnings… Less load increases the flashing speed.

Last edited:
This happened to someone else and it was a new under dash flasher install that was installed backwards. If it's not a bad bulb, that could be your culprit.

Dunno how you can install a flasher backwards, since prongs are 90 degrees off between them.

And in any case if it was even posible, pretty sure will work the same. Both sides are positive, just one in and the other out. The load would feed the coil and heat the bimetallic the same after of before the points no matter where it comes since is a normally closed circuit/switch

Last edited:
Dunno how you can install a flasher backwards, since prongs are 90 degrees off between them.

And in any case if it was even posible, pretty sure will work the same. Both sides are positive, just one in and the other out. The load would feed the coil and heat the bimetallic the same after of before the points no matter where it comes.
can't recall, but it happened to a fellow FBBO member. I'm talking about the silver metal cylinder under the dash. He flipped it around and it worked.

I would be looking at the flasher itself.
1726603693900.png

Auto Transport Service
Back