• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valley Pan Install

milit73

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
I bought a new valley pan gasket with a heat rise block off that comes with the paper gaskets also. My question is do I need to add any type of sealant to this setup of do I install it as is? Thanks Jim 383/727 68 Bee

I use black rtv at the corners, other than that maybe a dab here and there to help hold them in place while installing the intake.

I use rtv in the 4 corners and across the valley rails on block only. Then I use spray copper coat where it mates the head and intake.

You need to seal the corners no matter what and I use the aviation stuff (brush in can) on the rest.

I use rtv in the 4 corners and across the valley rails on block only. Then I use spray copper coat where it mates the head and intake.
Man, don't you love that copper spray! Makes for easy removal later if need be. Do you use the paper gasket with the pan? I don't remember using both :-/

Man, don't you love that copper spray! Makes for easy removal later if need be. Do you use the paper gasket with the pan? I don't remember using both :-/

I do not use the paper gasket.

Ok now I am a little confused............do I need to use the paper gasket? I think that's what is blocking off the heat rise but I will have to look at it better.

Ok now I am a little confused............do I need to use the paper gasket? I think that's what is blocking off the heat rise but I will have to look at it better.

The paper gasket can burn thru, and if you want to block the crossover, use the HP Felpro 1215 valley pan. This has the crossover blocked by the pan.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/1215/10002/-1

I don't use the paper gaskets. If the manifold or heads have been milled too much, they come in handy, but otherwise, I do not use them.

Paper gasket???? Am I missing something here? I've never received a pan gasket with paper anything in the box and I just bought one a month ago! Just the stock replacement one from Felpro.

Paper gasket???? Am I missing something here? I've never received a pan gasket with paper anything in the box and I just bought one a month ago! Just the stock replacement one from Felpro.
Every pan gasket box I ever got over 40 years always had the paper set. you don;t use them unless you HAVE to

I use the paper gaskets. 2 on each side, under and on top of the valley pan.

Attachments

• FEL-1214-4.jpg
    FEL-1214-4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 470
I just checked my gaskets and they have the paper only blocking the crossover so is it even worth it?

Every pan gasket box I ever got over 40 years always had the paper set. you don;t use them unless you HAVE to
Well every pan gasket I've ever bought in the last 20 years has only come with the "turkey " tray and a small tube of black rtv in the box. If you re read my original post, you may see that I'm not questioning if I have to use a paper gasket ( obliviously not! ). i'm questioning the contents of the box that the pan comes in. Now before we start slinging mud at each other re; what's in your box as opposed to mine, I think maybe the contents are just different because of different markets. Canada/ U.S. Is anyone from Canada reading this and can we have your input please

Well every pan gasket I've ever bought in the last 20 years has only come with the "turkey " tray and a small tube of black rtv in the box. If you re read my original post, you may see that I'm not questioning if I have to use a paper gasket ( obliviously not! ). i'm questioning the contents of the box that the pan comes in. Now before we start slinging mud at each other re; what's in your box as opposed to mine, I think maybe the contents are just different because of different markets. Canada/ U.S. Is anyone from Canada reading this and can we have your input please

You can get them together or a la carte. Just the paper gaskets, or just the pan.

They make 2 different pans too. With or without egr blockoff. Just having the paper cover the hole isnt going to block squat.

Ok I guess I will buy another vally pan then. I bought this from jegs and they sold this as a block off but it is only with the paper and not the pan as the holes are punched out. I guess I shold ask if this makes much off a difference being blocked or not. I dont need the crossover so I was just going to block it but if it does not make a big difference then I will just use it. Thanks again for all of the help. Jim

Ok I guess I will buy another vally pan then. I bought this from jegs and they sold this as a block off but it is only with the paper and not the pan as the holes are punched out. I guess I shold ask if this makes much off a difference being blocked or not. I dont need the crossover so I was just going to block it but if it does not make a big difference then I will just use it. Thanks again for all of the help. Jim

what intake are you using? And see post #9.

You would be lucky if you can get a paper gasket in there. No paper gasket. Just use some sealer, or copper spray, or?

I am using an eldebrock torker and I guess I got lucky as I installed it with the paper gaskets and valley pan and it all fit but was not easy. Have not tested it yet but I could not wait so I just did it. Found out I am missing a part to install the fuel line so it will have to be another day to get it running. I also installed an eldebrock Thunder series 650 with electric choke so I hope all will be good.

If you already have the valley pan, cut a beer can, block the crossover. As long as the intake runners seal to the head, its good to go. As for the paper gaskets- useless. The factory didn't use them, so unless there is a port mismatch, toss them. Factory also didn't use RTV.....I, (and where I worked as a machinist) put them together dry all the time, with no issues. Just make sure it lines up and seals....

Auto Transport Service
Back