• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ventilated drum brakes

ive been thinking about the oil bath band brakes on comercial fishing boats when they dredge.... or on an old time steam shouvel... the oil cools the brakes... the semi truchs that race spray water on them to cool them and they must generate a lot of heat....

why not have a mini jake brake set up like the big trucks have? on an automatic you could apply both bands at the same time with a trick valve body....
And a jake brakes works how??

Anyways the ventilated drums are a night and day with out the holes.... the softer the shoes the more the grip... same as tires

You can keep your soft shoes for driving in a parking lot. I'll stick to carbon-metallic shoes for the highway.

Anyways the ventilated drums are a night and day with out the holes.... the softer the shoes the more the grip... same as tires
In my experience, soft shoes heat up faster and reduces stopping power....

There are more reasons then cooling as to why disc brakes are superior to drums. A rotor has two sides which increases the swept area.
dis brakes.jpg

Hotter pads = dryer quicker drums... for those who want to use the drums... this isn't about a disk or drum thread...

- - - Updated - - -

In my experience, soft shoes heat up faster and reduces stopping power....

Exactly what you want with wet drums..... the vents help dry them and lose the heat...

- - - Updated - - -

The 11" death brakes will never out stop a 15" willwood 4 wheel disk set up... when wet but it's a night and day difference with out the holes....

Who has tried this and says not to vent the drums....

The 11" death brakes will never out stop a 15" willwood 4 wheel disk set up... when wet but it's a night and day difference with out the holes....

Who has tried this and says not to vent the drums....

A 11 inch drum is never going to stop as well as a factory 11 inch disc set up. I did the factory 11 in disc conversion on my 66 and at a 100 mph I can hit the brakes hard and let go on the steering wheel and the car nose dives down without it ever pulling to one side or the other.

I'm sure the holes drilled helps some but drums in my opinion are dangerous. Get behind some woman talking on the cell phone in her SUV when she does a panic stop with 4 wheel disc and abs.

My first car was a 72 GTO (that I still own) that came with four wheel drum brakes. Back in the day we drilled a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the backing plates to help with the heat. It helped a little but there were other problems like the rear brakes locking up. Over a couple of years of trying every brake shoe type I gave up and switched to disc. I was amazed at the difference. Back when I was young and stupid I was out street racing I ran through more then one red light with both of my feet pushing on the brake pedal.

I do think drilling holes in the drums a neat idea.

A 11 inch drum is never going to stop as well as a factory 11 inch disc set up. I did the factory 11 in disc conversion on my 66 and at a 100 mph I can hit the brakes hard and let go on the steering wheel and the car nose dives down without it ever pulling to one side or the other.

I'm sure the holes drilled helps some but drums in my opinion are dangerous. Get behind some woman talking on the cell phone in her SUV when she does a panic stop with 4 wheel disc and abs.

My first car was a 72 GTO (that I still own) that came with four wheel drum brakes. Back in the day we drilled a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the backing plates to help with the heat. It helped a little but there were other problems like the rear brakes locking up. Over a couple of years of trying every brake shoe type I gave up and switched to disc. I was amazed at the difference. Back when I was young and stupid I was out street racing I ran through more then one red light with both of my feet pushing on the brake pedal.

I do think drilling holes in the drums a neat idea.

I agree 100% but it's an option for those who want to retain the drums.... I like having a tight e brake on the drive shaft that works... on those early cars with handle from a truck..... this isn't some dreaming....

Auto Transport Service
Back