• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water wetters! Snake oil or what?

fullmetaljacket

Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
Since we're reaching into the dog days of Summer with big block cars that are hot under the collars, Who on here has had REAL world experience with a favored water wetter solution?

There are so many products out there that promise running cool in the heat of the night, but which ones are the best?

Let the cool heads prevail.

Water wetter is essentially anti corrosion. Ethylene Glycol anti freeze won't cool as good as regular water, but you need something in there to keep the block from rusting.

I ran water wetter and a thin mix of anti freeze in AZ and I had no issues.

A properly functioning cooling system precludes usage of such products.
Can't agree more. "We" went through the "waterless" nonsense and then water wetter next in the liquid cooled aircraft world 20 or so years ago. Smoke and mirrors and you're screwed when you need to top the system away from home.

Stock cooling systems x 6.... they all open the 180f stat and basically stay there!
20240519_150329.jpg

Can't agree more. "We" went through the "waterless" nonsense and then water wetter next in the liquid cooled aircraft world 20 or so years ago. Smoke and mirrors and you're screwed when you need to top the system away from home.

Stock cooling systems x 6.... they all open the 180f stat and basically stay there!
View attachment 1690552
Yes, stock systems should and do work properly as designed, but compression, timing can be gremlins that overtake a system.
In my system, I run pure distilled water because of its higher boiling points, but add a wetter for lubing and supposed heat control insurance. In the winter months, I simply add Anti-freeze to the mixture to keep things from freezing solid.

Since we're reaching into the dog days of Summer with big block cars that are hot under the collars, Who on here has had REAL world experience with a favored water wetter solution?

There are so many products out there that promise running cool in the heat of the night, but which ones are the best?

Let the cool heads prevail.
Water Wetter is used to
reduce the surface tension
found primarily in aluminum
radiators. Allowing the rad
fluid to remain in contact
with the inside surface of
tubes. It will work in
brass radiators as well
but cooling properties in
that instance are due to
dilution of anti-freeze.
Straight water cools best,
but promotes rust.
I use Water Wetter in an
aluminum rad where temps
without it ran at 210 deg.
After, 190 deg. The stuff
does work. It does not
contain any of the lubri-
cating properties of
antifreeze.

I use the Justice Brother Radiator Cooler and Radiator Protectant. Since I did my motor in 2011. It was 99 degrees here yesterday.

Their Radiator Cooler does have lubrication. But I put the Radiator Protectant for added protection against corrosion and electrolysis (static electricity built up).

I don't see a major difference in need if Aluminum Radiator or not.

It's just Anti Freeze doesn't have as good as cooling properties. But has great resistance to freezing. Trade-Offs. I'm in So Cal, no need to resist freezing.

I use the Justice Brother Radiator Cooler and Radiator Protectant. Since I did my motor in 2011. It was 99 degrees here yesterday.

Their Radiator Cooler does have lubrication. But I put the Radiator Protectant for added protection against corrosion and electrolysis (static electricity built up).

I don't see a major difference in need if Aluminum Radiator or not.

It's just Anti Freeze doesn't have as good as cooling properties. But has great resistance to freezing. Trade-Offs. I'm in So Cal, no need to resist freezing.
So, a 15 deg difference in
running temps is not proof
enough that it works? That
was the OP's question.
The freezing protection w/
antifreeze as well as it's
lubricating properties are not
affected by the Water Wetter
product, where diluted with
water does inhibit rust
protection.

I have a very stout built 440 bored .40 over with an 871 blower also adding heat running around 210 degrees with a 3 pass aluminum rad. I used a weak blend of antifreeze/coolant and water approx 25% antifreeze, then add 2 bottles of water wetter which is more than what it says on the bottle and dropped to 190 from 210. It works. Car is stored in a temp controlled shop so no worries on weak antifreeze.

I have a very stout built 440 bored .40 over with an 871 blower also adding heat running around 210 degrees with a 3 pass aluminum rad. I used a weak blend of antifreeze/coolant and water approx 25% antifreeze, then add 2 bottles of water wetter which is more than what it says on the bottle and dropped to 190 from 210. It works. Car is stored in a temp controlled shop so no worries on weak antifreeze.
It seems this wetter stuff is wetting our appetite for using it in hot climates. I've heard, but not tested other products that claim they can cool better than their rivals, sometimes by 20 degrees.
The reason I posted this is that my engine has 12.5 compression, thus creating extra heat in the heads.

My 67 has a mechanical fan and shroud plus the 26" aluminum radiator.
50/50 blend anti freeze and water.
I have not ever got to the point of needing to try one of the water wetter type products.
If my car ran high temps 220 and above I would sure try a bottle or two.
I have read or heard many good reports on the stuff and never hear of it hurting a cooling system . Give it a try.

I run a gallon of the premixed coolant in mine then fill it up with distilled bottled water.
My car will run right at the stat temp in 100 degree days , a little higher if I get in stop and go traffic . But not enough Im concerned with it as it cools right back down once moving

I went thru all the snake oil stuff a few years ago with no fix or changes in operating temps

Biggest / best thing I did was a high quality - hi flow thermostat from Stewart Components

So, a 15 deg difference in
running temps is not proof
enough that it works? That
was the OP's question.
The freezing protection w/
antifreeze as well as it's
lubricating properties are not
affected by the Water Wetter
product, where diluted with
water does inhibit rust
protection.

I didn't say it didn't work. And would help a brass radiator system as well as an aluminum one.

I just use another product.

If you want a more scientific test, here's one: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0703-turp-cooling-system-additives/

Red Line Water Wetter was tested here in a 351C Ford engine. It was a fair, controlled test. It DID lower coolant temp slightly. I tried it my car & no noticed no difference....

Red Line Water Wetter was tested here in a 351C Ford engine. It was a fair, controlled test. It DID lower coolant temp slightly. I tried it my car & no noticed no difference....
From @autoxcuda link.
"But over the years we've become accustomed to using cooling system wetting agents, as they've been proven to work almost every time."
Don't know your particular
set-up but maybe we here
can help if you've been trying
to lower your cooling temps?
Slightly...is a relative term.
The stuff lowered my
coolant temps by at least
15 deg. And this on an
engine during break-in
500 miles running.

From @autoxcuda link.
"But over the years we've become accustomed to using cooling system wetting agents, as they've been proven to work almost every time."
set-up but maybe we here
The stuff lowered my
15 deg. And this on an
engine during break-in
500 miles running.
Justice Brothers is supposedly good stuff. Redline is all that I have used over the years though. Timing, gas octane play some part.

From @autoxcuda link.
set-up but maybe we here
The stuff lowered my
15 deg. And this on an
engine during break-in
500 miles running.
This is the typical conundrum on these type of claims. In most cases nobody accuses any claimant of being a liar on a measured temp drop, although in recent times a strong case might be made for that title it seems. Where the problems exist, is what exactly caused the 15F drop, and how really controlled was the actual comparison that measured the claimed Temp Drop to single out one precise cause. I'm highly skeptical that replacing nearly the universal best common coolant available (water) with another liquid with less BTU absorption will cause a 15F drop in any situation because of reduced surface tension (which would lead to greater internal cavitation?). I suspect a case could be made that greater internal cavitation would mean less coolant contact with the hot internal metal passageways and that would lower the coolant temps by absorbing less heat and correspondingly raise the oil temps. Confirmation Bias is a real thing I believe. But I may be wrong, and I am all ears.

Last edited:
This is the typical conundrum on these type of claims. In most cases nobody accuses any claimant of being a liar on a measured temp drop, although in recent times a strong case might be made for that title it seems. Where the problems exist, is what exactly caused the 15F drop, and how really controlled was the actual comparison that measured the claimed Temp Drop to single out one precise cause. I'm highly skeptical that replacing nearly the universal best common coolant available (water) with another liquid with less BTU absorption will cause a 15F drop in any situation because of reduced surface tension (which would lead to greater internal cavitation?). I suspect a case could be made that greater internal cavitation would mean less coolant contact with the hot internal metal passageways and that would lower the coolant temps by absorbing less heat and correspondingly raise the oil temps. Confirmation Bias is a real thing I believe. But I may be wrong, and I am all ears.
Worked for me. I'm happy
with the products'
performance.

The stuff is a ‘surfactant’ used in many products like dishwasher soap and in mfg. processes. Reduces friction btw liquids. When having some issues with higher engine temps, read that a lower ratio of anti-freeze can reduce heat retention and as a trade-off started using wetter. Common coolant mix is 50/50, but I only drive my ride in warmer months and is stored in a heated garage. Reduced anti-freeze to around 30% with the wetter. Although did several other things to obtain cooling, got the desired results.

Auto Transport Service
Back