• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to the track Friday. What should I try next?

Try shifting at 6500? ( which still seems low, but I don't know the limits of those intakes)
The factory cross ram flattens out about 6800. It needs more interconnection
area. They aftermarket replacement for the originals run 7500 fine.

The factory cross ram flattens out about 6800. It needs more interconnection
area. They aftermarket replacement for the originals run 7500 fine.
Does that still apply to 80 ci bigger than stock though?

Yes it is a matter of how much Air Flow the engines need to support
a given HP level (Think Air Compressor).
Our B/SA Stock 426 Made a fair bit more HP as it ran close to 130 MPH. @
3690Lbs. The Super Stock SS/DA Max wedge made considerably more.
The intake manifold was the real problem rather than a well prepared Max
Wedge Head.

The is a fix to the interconnection problem but it is a LOT of Work to do undetectably!
I better not elaborate any further.

Yes it is a matter of how much Air Flow the engines need to support
a given HP level (Think Air Compressor).
Our B/SA Stock 426 Made a fair bit more HP as it ran close to 130 MPH. @
3690Lbs. The Super Stock SS/DA Max wedge made considerably more.
The intake manifold was the real problem rather than a well prepared Max
Wedge Head.

The is a fix to the interconnection problem but it is a LOT of Work to do undetectably!
I better not elaborate any further.
i would buy this 1 if i could find it..

R (3).jpg

R (4).jpg

R (5).jpg

Made it out Friday.the weather was great! Had 9in converter in single 4bl Indy intake with a proform 1050 4150 style carb. Loss 101lbs over the winter. Took exhaust off, rear drums off disc brakes aluminum m/c and lighter front tires. Best pass was 10.60@126. I’m going to put crossram back on and see how much it slows down. The 60 foot was very inconsistent. I have to work on that.

View attachment 1658120

View attachment 1658121

View attachment 1658122
Took the car out last Friday. The only thing I changed was putting crossram on. The weather wasn’t bad not as good as 2 weeks early. I made 3 passes the best 10.97@121. Not sure what I’m going to do next. I may just run it the way it is

IMG_2053.jpeg

It would certainly appear the single plane set up was worth a couple tenths and 3+ mph.

At your weight, that’s about 35-40hp worth of speed.

4/10s and 5 mph
From your description, some of the performance difference was weather related…….so I “rounded down”.

Either way, to this point at least, your stock x-ram & carb combo seems to be holding you back…….and not by an insignificant amount.

Last edited:
Yes a 10sec car barely. When I started this project 9 years ago I was targeting more. It is what it is
seems we started on the same quest about the same time. At the start I said that if I ever saw a 10.50’s it would surpass all expectations. You’re just not quite there yet, real soon.

For what it's worth......
On a maxwedge head solid flat tappet 440 with a welded-up TM7 and a 4781 holley, I went to the crossram and two competition 750 carter's, and gained......

Nothing.

I should have given more info. The weather on May 3 on my 10.60 @126 was 60 degrees 56% humidity, barometer 30.04, D A 1079.9 and wind 10mph. On May17 it was 72 degrees,52%, barometer 29.75, DA 2345.9 and wind 11mph. I know weather plays an important role in performance. I talked with a racer that was there on the same nights. and his ETs were within a couple hundredths. He had a big block dart running 10.60s. I didn't think I would lose that much

There is a solid tenth difference in 1300 ft of density.
The 60 fts are a bit slow for the ET and there might be another
tenth or a little less to be worked on there.

Just my .02

I believe Wallace has a calculator to correct runs to a “standard” day.

You could run each combo with the DA thru the calculator and see how they compare.
That should get you close, for determining how much different the two combos are.

It would also help to quantify how much impact the 1300ft DA differential has.

Edit-
I tried it…….
10.60@126 at 1000’ DA corrected to sea level is a [email protected]

10.97@121 at 2300’ DA corrected to sea level is a [email protected]

So, in theory the Indy single plane is worth roughly .2 and 3mph.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back