• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do think about Mickey Thompson brand road tires?

Bleep Bleep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Buying a 69 RR that has MT solid raised white letter tires. Who else runs them and do they have a good reputation?

I have them on my 71, 2 years now. Like them a lot. Letters stay white and they ride and handle pretty good. Not a performance tire by any means but a good muscle car tire that is a little different than all the TA's and Coopers.

IMG_3220.JPG

Buying a 69 RR that has MT solid raised white letter tires. Who else runs them and do they have a good reputation?
They're fine. They cost more then Cooper Cobra or Mastercraft Courser mostly because they say MT name on the side. Cool factor and nostalgia play a factor. Nothing wrong with them. You can find equal for less money though.

I never had any issues with any of the M/T street tires, Slicks or drag radial I ever got
well worth the $$$, they are nowhere near the most expensive,
for a raised white letter sport tire, more middle of the road
especially in the offroad AT/MT stuff...
It's not always about price...

never had good luck with the Copper Cobras, wore out quickly
maybe my right foot was the cause...
I quit buying them a long time ago
when I buy tires, the price isn't the biggest or driving factor,
quality, warranty company standing behind the product & type rubber compound is...
I had some off road tires, 4x4 stuff, from them too, they didn't do well or last either...

I ran/still run BFG Radial TAs mostly for straight street tires
I like the sizes, the lettering & they wear better...
Not the cheapest by any stretch either...

Toyo Open Country MT 32x11.5 on my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4, 43k miles
& still probably 10k-15k+ mile left easily, they ain't cheap,
but worth it
the OE Goodyear Wranglers 31.5x10.5 barely went 19k, were bald
didn't do that well offroad either

Last edited:
I have them on my 71, 2 years now. Like them a lot. Letters stay white and they ride and handle pretty good. Not a performance tire by any means but a good muscle car tire that is a little different than all the TA's and Coopers.

View attachment 1723587
Thanks! Love the color.

View attachment 1723587
Looks great on yours! Is that butterscotch?

They're fine. They cost more than Cooper Cobra or Mastercraft Courser mostly because they say MT name on the side. Cool factor and nostalgia play a factor. Nothing wrong with them. You can find equal for less money though.
Appreciate the candor. I like the solid white letters but maybe just not used to the number of lettering?

I have them on my ERA Cobra. Great tires. Ride really well. No issues.
IMG_1743.jpeg

They ride well, they are quiet, they look good & have more traction than the old T/A radials (which isn't saying much)....

I've run the MT Sportsman S/T's on the front for over 5 years. Average, but better performance than BFG Radial T/A's, about the same handling as Cooper Cobras. They do good in wet and dry. I like them just fine.

There is certainly no reason to take them off for Cooper's or BFG's. The Mickey's and Coopers actually have advertised slightly harder rubber on them than BFG but they are all essentially the same tire.

Mickey Thompson... Pro Trac... aah, yes... tires we installed back in the day ad infinitum.

The mickeys are built by Cooper (or, they were, until Goodyear bought them both), and are basically Cobras, with a different name in white letters, and a slightly different tread.
Good tires. Better than t/a's in my opinion.

The mickeys are built by Cooper (or, they were, until Goodyear bought them both), and are basically Cobras, with a different name in white letters, and a slightly different tread.
Thanks. I didn’t know the history.

As I understand it, the Mickeys and the Cooper are basically the same tyre, but the MTs use a Goodyear carcass as opposed to the Cooper.
Probably a slightly higher quality. No known issues to the best of my knowledge - recommend them for this type of rubber.

EDIT - unless things have changed in the last couple of years since I had reliable info on this, MTs are all made here in the US and Coopers may or may not be. Regrettably, all 'regular' TAs are now made in mexico.
If you dont care about white letters, maybe look at General Altimax also; really nice tyre, made in the US in sizes to fit a lot of 'our' cars. In fact, only General and BFG make a 70 or 60 series in the right size for 70s era Corvettes for example.

Last edited:
More correct lettering than T/A and are made by Cooper tire.
Mickey Thompson was a well known tire brand back in the 60's & 70's.
I would run them now if I wanted a RWL tire.

The guy now has MTs black side out. Which is fine. Came with red streaks. Classy just not the look for me.

Personal preference has always been RWL. Great info guys. Much appreciated.

Auto Transport Service
Back