• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do think about Mickey Thompson brand road tires?

I like them better than Coopers or BFG. I would buy Coopers or MT again, not BFG.

cha se.JPG

The guy now has MTs black side out. Which is fine. Came with red streaks. Classy just not the look for me.

Personal preference has always been RWL. Great info guys. Much appreciated.
If he was gonna run em black side out, he could have saved some money by buying cobras, or even more by not buying rwl at all.

If he was gonna run em black side out, he could have saved some money by buying cobras, or even more by not buying rwl at all.
I guess his over-spend is someone’s xtra money in pocket! …Mine. I think the car will go from a beautiful but understated classic to a sporty fun chick magnet! LOL

Are there actually chicks when you’re in your 60s?

I guess his over-spend is someone’s xtra money in pocket! …Mine. I think the car will go from a beautiful but understated classic to a sporty fun chick magnet! LOL

Are there actually chicks when you’re in your 60s?
Yes. But they grow up to be KFC chickens.

Mickey's are now made in Akron,OH at the Goodblimp plant .

I picked up a Back to the Future POS at the Akron factory .

My customer bought it from Goodyears head of security.

The car was an automatic...didn't have enough HP to drive up my ramps into my truck ...had to take a 15mph run at it ..made it!!!

What's the traction and treadwear (now called UTQG or something) versus the Coopers and Mastercraft?

What's the traction and treadwear (now called UTQG or something) versus the Coopers and Mastercraft?
Good point.
Mastercraft avenger and Cooper cobras are both 440, A,B. I suspect the Mickey street tires are probably very similar, if not identical. T/As vary from 320-640 A,B.
Higher first number, harder tread. First letter is WET STOPPING POWER. Means NOTHING, as to how much traction a tire has, even tho it is a "traction" rating. Second letter is temp rating. The only tires I ever overheated were parked in the sun in Arizona.

Last edited:
Most serious performance tires have a tread rating of zero-200. Some racing associations require a 200 or higher tire.
My mickey et street pro's are 000,C,C.

Mastercraft avenger and Cooper cobras are both 440, A,B. I suspect the Mickey street tires are probably very similar, if not identical. T/As vary from 320-640 A,B.
Higher first number, harder tread. First letter is WET STOPPING POWER. Means NOTHING, as to how much traction a tire has, even tho it is a "traction" rating. Second letter is temp rating. The only tires I ever overheated were parked in the sun in Arizona.
I've driven friends Mopars with the Cooper Cobras and mine used to have BFG T/A's and now the MT Sportsman S/T's. I could tell no difference in traction between the Coopers and MT's. The BFG's were from around 2010 and felt like less traction. I've heard that vintage BFG T/A's when new may have been a little better. RWL tires with decent traction are slim pickin's. You might also want to check out these - Vitour Galaxy R1 all season. They are RWL, look like a stickier tire and are rated for a bit higher speed.

I've driven friends Mopars with the Cooper Cobras and mine used to have BFG T/A's and now the MT Sportsman S/T's. I could tell no difference in traction between the Coopers and MT's. The BFG's were from around 2010 and felt like less traction. I've heard that vintage BFG T/A's when new may have been a little better. RWL tires with decent traction are slim pickin's. You might also want to check out these - Vitour Galaxy R1 all season. They are RWL, look like a stickier tire and are rated for a bit higher speed.
What I have heard is that fresh new t/as aren't too bad, but as they age, traction goes away. I have t/a's for the street tires on my low eleven car, and they are totally hopeless, traction wise. Turns an eleven second car into a mid/high 13 second car.

T/As are pretty old technology. Not sure how much they may have been upgraded over the years (decades) if any. I ran them in the 70s, almost 50 years ago, on my 75 Pontiac TA, in 255/60-15 I believe, on the rear. First and second gear wheel spin was effortless and would last as long as I kept my foot in it or until the valves floated. Cobra rep guys have been cursing them for years due to their slick nature. They can be deadly in the 90” wheelbase, twitchy, overpowered rockets.

MT S/Ts and Cooper Cobras have the same thread wear, traction and temp specs the last time I compared them. I’ve heard rumors of the S/Ts having some sort of superior rubber formula but I think in reality they are the same tire.

None of these tires bite or handle any good really. I've owned them all, why I don't suggest anyone waste money on T/A's is because I and several other people I know have had them separate and then there's the brown letter issue as well. If you want something that is going to bite at all you need something else.

All you need for traction is some good tire softener.

Don't buy BF Garbage - letters turn brown almost immediately, and I have had them separate in less than 4 years. I have ran MT's and Coopers - both equally good and the letters stay white.

Auto Transport Service
Back