• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to 68-69 chargers ?!

Purepony

Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
So thanks to kern dog and every other 68-69 charger owner/member here now I catch myself looking at chargers more and more (only 68-69 the ones before and after I don’t care for sorry)

Id buy one if I could find a decent 68-69 for 20-25k which I know that’s not gonna happen but I can dream.

Anyways the question is ?

What happened to 68-69 chargers that they’re all rusted out and missing so many parts ?
Did everyone who owned a 68-69 charger just not give a crap ?

the 66,67, even 70-74 which I hate and see are in decent shape.
You can find decent examples of those complete and running but most 68-69 are crapped out

examples

Everyone one of those cars requires a master fabricators certificate and bank account with no limits.

0E9D60A9-A41A-47F9-A180-5EF8F0D2D967.png
15D727D2-12B0-4CFF-87E0-41735EF788A3.png
03D3EBD5-B612-4DA8-B250-E5652B365053.png
BBC37930-AEB1-4A7C-964A-875193C7B1FD.png
36A61371-3101-408A-AF53-EBE4B79839C5.png

It's the price range you are viewing. '68-'69 Chargers are hot on today's market. Thus the junk ones are fetching decent monies. For something you would like? Double your search price.

It's the price range you are viewing. '68-'69 Chargers are hot on today's market. Thus the junk ones are fetching decent monies. For something you would like? Double your search price.
Yeah nothing around my range lol 20-25 that I could even drive

the ones I like are
69-125
Out of my reach I guess. I can’t see myself spending that much on one but just suprised most of them are all busted

Yeah nothing around my range lol 20-25 that I could even drive

the ones I like are
69-125
Out of my reach I guess. I can’t see myself spending that much on one but just suprised most of them are all busted
There are alot of other Mopars that are just as enjoyable. Especially if you get over the numbers matching stuff?

Keep hunting. Your car is out there.

Fast and the Furious and Dukes of Hazzard happened... enough said. People think these years/model are gold and sadly, people pay top dollar for them. My dream car is a 68' Charger but for now I'm working with a 68' Coronet, which is a Charger to most people that dont know the difference...(if you know, you know), and it's been a fun learning experience in the world of Mopars. Excited to teach my daughter all about old cars with this car when she is old enough. I'll get my 68' Charger someday...

There are alot of other Mopars that are just as enjoyable. Especially if you get over the numbers matching stuff?

Keep hunting. Your car is out there.
Oh I’m done lolz it would have to be something really insane at the right time. I need to finish my trans am and call it a day

The one thing that makes chargers harder to come by is the fact most parts are unique to the charger only. Plymouth GTX and Road Runners also had Satellites to obtain parts. Dodge Coronet R/T also had lesser model Coronets to obtain parts. If you want one you will have to pony up. You are going to be hard pressed to find a real nice one under 40K.

The one thing that makes chargers harder to come by is the fact most parts are unique to the charger only. Plymouth GTX and Road Runners also had Satellites to obtain parts. Dodge Coronet R/T also had lesser model Coronets to obtain parts. If you want one you will have to pony up. You are going to be hard pressed to find a real nice one under 40K.
Yup agreed ! I give up I have my satellite and it’s cool. I just get excited when I see them once I. A while but yeah I missed the boat on that one

A friend just sold this one yesterday for 40K. Matching numbers 440 4-speed, Dana, R/T SE, original paint, some rust, doesn't run, but not locked up.
Resized_20210706_175652(2).jpeg

My offer was short at 25K.
Just crazy Charger prices.

IMO you guys can keep the 68 & 69s I love my 70. 70 offers the most options, high impact colors, engine combos and the pistol grip shifter etc.. I really love all 3 years but dad had 70 RT new and now I have one.. Amazing how that works. Don’t knock a 70 like some seem to to do.. same car only better! Not a bad looking B body out there... Prices are crazy but they sure keep leaving this country too!

A friend just sold this one yesterday for 40K. Matching numbers 440 4-speed, Dana, R/T SE, original paint, some rust, doesn't run, but not locked up.
View attachment 1135078
My offer was short at 25K.
Just crazy Charger prices.
Yup after resto he’ll probably be in it 75k or more

my up I’ll pass

I was debating on buying a 68 Charger or a Road Runner and the Road Runner won out. When cars were $3000 we didn't treat them with kid gloves. You broke it, next year you'll get new and improved just more money. I had a 58 Fury and they used 25 to make Christine, so how many were left at that time and after making the movie and destroying all those cars. Same thing with Chargers with the Dukes of Hazard all those years doing them in.

Keep searching, and be ready to travel, I’ve seen some without a motor and tranny in your ballpark. Most need some TLC but a good driver. Engine and tranny easily found.

So thanks to kern dog and every other 68-69 charger owner/member here now I catch myself looking at chargers more and more (only 68-69 the ones before and after I don’t care for sorry)

Id buy one if I could find a decent 68-69 for 20-25k which I know that’s not gonna happen but I can dream.

Anyways the question is ?

What happened to 68-69 chargers that they’re all rusted out and missing so many parts ?
Did everyone who owned a 68-69 charger just not give a crap ?

the 66,67, even 70-74 which I hate and see are in decent shape.
You can find decent examples of those complete and running but most 68-69 are crapped out

examples

Everyone one of those cars requires a master fabricators certificate and bank account with no limits.

View attachment 1135052 View attachment 1135053 View attachment 1135054 View attachment 1135055 View attachment 1135056
What do you hate about the '70 models? The front bumper?
5978793ec77b9_hd_1970-dodge-charger-r-t-coupe.jpg

I paid 17k for my 68 running (barely) and mostly complete in 2017. It's the most I ever paid for a project car. Needed usual trunk, rear window, tail panel, valances, etc. Floor pan and frame rails good condition. I bet that it would go for 30k today. I'm in for 78k, and almost done. I went nuts, but it's my dream car I could never afford as a youngster.

Auto Transport Service
Back