• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PARTS STORES

Sittin back with my popcorn on this one.....:popcorn2:

....oh the stories I could tell about customers who don't like the questions when they want to buy a part but can't seem to cough up the answers I need so that you don't get the wrong part........

......and that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that......
Ive been on both sides of the counter, and there are indeed stories to tell about moronic customers... Have actually considered doing a book about it!
BUT! the FACT remains that the vast majority of the individuals behind the counter these days at all national chains and many local stores are CLUELESS about what they are doing and probably cant even change their own oil. This is indisputable. part of it is the 'corporate culture' of these places, part of it is that the 'kids' dont care or know about cars - if it doesnt pop up on some targeted ad on their celphone they know not or care not - and part of it is that there is no need for knowledge any more 80% or so of the time; few people fix their own cars anymore short of basic maintenance like oil changes. And any knowledge of anything more than 5 years old is unheard of. If its not in the computer, it doesnt exist...

Then there was the guy not much younger than myself trying to sell me the serpentine belt idler when I needed the steering idler arm! I worked parts from 1972 to 1993 then found my true calling in industrial machines and parts. I can wire a 3 Phase machine in my sleep but can't figure out 110 volt to save my life!

I worked parts counters for several years when I was going through university. I always got annoyed when a customer's particular application had 2 or more options available, and I'd ask the customer which spec they had so I could get the correct part...and because the customer often had no clue, they'd reply "The standard one". Grr...there's no such thing as "standard"!

I've worked behind the counter too and it's got it's challenges.
I think the best thing to do is go onto Rock Auto, make a list of what fits and go down to the local guys and see if they have it or how long to get it. Or just order from them in the first place.
The days of memorizing the part # of a small block Chevy timing chain that fit for 40 years are gone.

I worked at a Chief Auto Parts in 1985. They later became Auto Zone.
It was sort of fun but even back then, their store was not geared toward the car enthusiast. It was waxes, cleaners, alternators/batteries/brakes and water pumps. You couldn't get engine bearings, cams, pistons or transmission rebuild kits.
I did enjoy the job except that they would often only schedule 1 man for the night shift and when that one man has to answer phones, run the cash register, look up parts for in-store customers and keep an eye on the potential shoplifters, it gets to be a pisser.

Auto parts stores. Many, many stories. From many, many years ago. I'll just tell the first. When I was a teenager, I was already working on cars. I applied for a part-time job at a local parts store, for after-school & weekend work. I met with the owner, he was impressed with my knowledge for such a young age. Thought I got the job. Went in the store next week to find out another kid got the job. I found out the owner gave the other kid the job because he speaks Spanish.

The parts store I used many times had a guy I rewarded for spending extra time finding, not what was original, but cross-referencing parts that would fit. It's time-consuming, and once we got to know each other, it was all good.

A friend of mine brought his '32 Ford street rod to Carlisle with a modified early Chrysler Hemi to hang out with us. He had a few coil packs misfiring so I took him to an AutoZone closeby. He said "I need 8 coil packs for a VW Jetta". The girl at the counter said "those cars don't use 8". He said "well, this one does, do you have 8 in stock or don't you?"

I worked the counter at on old parts store back in the later 70s
'Monument Auto' chain, in Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Concord, Antioch
they were great had every new catalog you could imagine...
I'd do most of the performance stuff when I was in there...
It was good service, usually by people that knew what they were talking about...
Also a simpler era too...
Someone come in ask for a Water pump for a SBC,
if it was in something not stock
you ask short or long pump, forward rotation or reverse,
the people knew the #s off the top of their heads & walk straight to it
bring it forward or get it from one of the other stores,
tell the customer what time they could get it or go to that store
& ask for so & so, & this is the part # :blah:

Our local NAPA 'Debco' privately owned, going on like 30+ years or more
by Debbie & her husband
were stockcar/dirt racers too, into 4x4s now too
both are active wrenchers/gearheads
they are great about asking relevant questions too
have a couple older dudes & a gal,
that know the old stuff like the back of their hands...

When I come in, if Debbie's there at the counter
(lil' factnoid = my dad was her school bus driver)
I know they think, oh no
"what the hell is he looking to do this time"
(& can we fulfill his wished/parts order)
sometimes it's easy stuff, sometime they really help or find what I need
Attention to detail & customer service...
Very rare these days...

the other big chain stores here
Autozone Walmart O'Reillys only ones left now
I don't even walk in them, anymore
not worth the blood pressure rise
or stupidity of some 'wet behind the ears know nothing'
questioning my automotive knowledge,
that he doesn't know ****,
unless it's on his Phone, they most frequently all are
like your interrupting them or somethin
g or on a company computer scene

Most the rest
I buy from Summit Racing I go online I find the part, I order it,
if it's in stock
usually it is
it will be at my door 2 days later, sometime the next day
no extra charge
it's on me if I order the wrong thing
unless it's 'catalogued wrong'
or they pull & ship the wrong part
or I blew it & they say;
"just ship it back give me a shipping label"
usually at no extra cost & send out the needed part the same day...
Hard to beat their 'customer services', one if not the best I know...
Yea, & that's happened a couple times, they've always made it or make it good...
Or a specialty shop that deals in specific brand & parts...

Last edited:
Here in Switzerland when I need something I need to order online from summit or somewhere else. It takes around 2 weeks for me to see the parts after I order. If I order something wrong, another two weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back