• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What movie scared you as a kid?

SteveSS

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Not counting "The Wizard of OZ" because that scared all of us. As a kid I saw the" previews of "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" and it scared me for months. I saw "Psycho" past the first murder and stopped because it was too scary, maybe 10 years old.

Last edited:
JAWS because my father used to take me fishing in the middle of the night

I.T. didn't help either

None... But, the ONLY movie I refuse to watch is the "Exorcist", FT...

"In Like Flynt" where women almost took over the world.

Thankfully, James Colburn saved the day in the end.

Memory about the first time is foggy, though remember a Vincent Price movie, I think it was House on Haunted Hill, something like that as a youngster. Later, a guy I worked with went to see the Exorcist and admitted he drove home with the interior car lights on being spooked, lol.

There were two movies that were scary, MO, and weren’t about ghosts…it was the living. Marathon Man and Three-Days of the Condor.

This was around the year 2000. I just watched The Blair Witch movie and was driving home late. I drove past our new home in the forest that was under construction. All the lights were on. It took some balls to go turn everything off. The Exorcist is scary if you're a Christian because it's based on things in the Bible. I remember a few months ago the parody website Babylon Bee had an article where the dad assured his children there was no such thing as a monster in their closet but it could be a demon.

Last edited:
Lord of the Flies, Si-Fi and horror I knew were fake but this was to real and kids becoming murderer's changed how I thought humanity.

Carrie. I was watching it by myself in our semi-finished basement when I was 13-14. I got thru the movie just fine until her hand thrust up out of the grave at the end. Caught me completely off guard and I let out a yelp that my parents heard upstairs.

The witch in Wizard of Oz was always creepy. I won't/can't watch the Exorcist or really any devil-based horror movies. Horror as a genre is generally not my thing and my wife hates it.

Interesting tidbit...The Exorcist film from 1973 was loosely based on a real exorcism performed in St. Louis in 1949. The Jesuits priests involved were affiliated with St. Louis Univ. I went to SLU High School in the late 70's/80's and several of them were teachers or among the retired clergy residing at the high school. Students never really went into the residential area of the building, but I worked at the school to pay off part of my tuition and had to go there a few times. I always got a weird vibe when I did. And no, it wasn't because I experienced or heard of any pedo priests there.

My mom grew up fairly close to where the family lived while they were in St. Louis and has told us the stories they heard around the neighborhood. Some strange/scary stuff if true.

Night of the Grizzly with Clint Walker. Had nightmares for months. Now the real thing but no nightmares.
bear11.jpg

The Alfred Hitchcock movie the Birds! I was about 6 or 7 when I saw it! Those birds pecking peoples eyes out scared the hell out of me! Those killer bee movies too,getting attacked by a swarm of angry bees,no freaking way!

I drink your blood. A drive in B movie. But I was too young that stayed up too late at the drive in with parents.

wasn't a kid 1985 ,but the original "it"

1725742692422.png
1725742768118.png

and " nightmare on elm street "
1725742947301.png
1725743003818.png
1725743044353.png

and phantasm

1725754802058.png
1725754998039.png
1725754831636.png

Last edited:
I am a bit younger then some here.
Went to a drive in with older brother and sister and my Dad. They wanted to see Gremlins.
It really wasn't scary, except the one spot late in the film where spike is trying to make more gremlins in the water and they get him with the light.... something about that series of events and the effects on that giant screen with the noise right in the side window freeked me out for a few years.
I got over that soon enough though.

I saw Poltergeist when I was like 8-9, older sister brought it home on VHS to watch. Now that movie creeped me right out. I have never watched it again. Not sure I want to, though I am sure it is not as bad as I remember it lol.
One other movie i saw as a very young man on TV i think... I have no idea what it is called. All I remember being so small was a scene with a lady getting shot by arrows near a closet door I think it was, and then later another lady putting flowers on a grave and a hand shooting out of the grave to grab her. My toddler mind was terrified! Maybe someone else can name that flick....

My little corner of paradise in WI is in the middle of nowhere surrounded by agriculture fields. Corn and alfalfa get rotated. My son insisted he watch "Signs" when my wife and I brought it home, hearing good reviews. We were surrounded on all 4 sides(including across the street) by corn that year, we watched it when the corn was already 5 feet tall.
Poor boy would not go out after dark the rest of that year. We told him!

I was 7 or 8, Creature from the Black Lagoon. Only monster movie that really scared me. I loved swimming in the lakes and river that we went to, after this movie, not so much. After a couple of months I was sure it was all made up, OR was it real ?

Auto Transport Service
Back