• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What winch are you using on your car trailer?

I've had a 3000 lb X2 Superwinch since the mid 70's.....still doing the job. It pulled a 69 road runner up on my trailer with 2 flat tires but had to help it a bit when it bogged down on the ramps but man, that's a lot to ask of a 3k winch....should have double blocked it and always have a block pulley now if needed. And I ditched the come along crap back in the mid 70's when I got my thumb nearly caught up in that damn thing. Anyone that wants to use a come along to winch a car up on a trailer these days is a dumb *** in my book!!

I have harbor freight brand.... 12,000 lb. Winches on both my enclosed trailer and my open trailer... The newer one is a Badland brand.... And the older one is a different brand but both from harbor freight... Never had a major problem with either one... Towed. A ton of junk cars on my open car trailer with four flat tires!!!!

Seinfeld George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn (3).gif

Anyone that wants to use a come along to winch a car up on a trailer these days is a dumb *** in my book!!
That is funny. I say offensive things too.
This is my first trailer and it sure isn’t as if I prefer using the Come Along. I am physically capable of using it, I already had it and have used it because I wasn’t sure if I’d be hauling many things to warrant the purchase of a winch.
I don’t walk 10 miles when a car is available and I don’t use a brace and bit instead of a power drill. I just haven’t gotten around to buying a winch yet, hence the reason for this thread.
I can see maybe towing 1-2 cars a year maybe more but this clearly isn’t my full time job. In construction I ditched the hand saw and other antiquated tools once I needed something better. The same applies here.

I know a couple people also that have the 9,000 lb Badland harbor freight winch with no problems as well... I would think the 5000 might be a little too light unless you are only considering doing cars that roll easy

Harbor freight 9k lb winch here. Love it and got the remote control for it as well.

I know a couple people also that have the 9,000 lb Badland harbor freight winch with no problems as well... I would think the 5000 might be a little too light unless you are only considering doing cars that roll easy
Buddy has the 5k hf, I believe he is on his second one.

The beauty of a winch is if you are alone with no one toguide you onto the trailer, use the winch and reach in and steer it as you go up. I get it on the trailer straight and centered evey time.

Harbour Freight 9,000 # winch . It's worked fine so far
I've had two. Neither is "fine". Both of mine were/are garbage.
I'm shopping for a Warn or Superwinch. I expect to (or, hoping to) pay $500-700 to get a GOOD winch.
(Had a HF 2500 too It worked well for a number of years, it just wasnt strong enough. Bought another 2500 for utility use..... compared to my first one, it's garbage too. No more HF winches for me. I FINALLY learned my lesson).
Slow learner I guess.

Last edited:
Oh, and if you can get the synthetic rope. I’ve changed all of our wire lines to synthetic. Way easier on the hands. I just get the cheap stuff off of greEdBay, cheap and never had a problem and we use our winches sometimes several times a day, all summer.

I'm on my second HF winch. The first one I had (12'000 lb) for close to 20 yrs and was still going strong when I sold the trailer a couple of years ago. Bought a 30' goose neck and mounted another 12,000 lb on it. Pulls my 4010 JD with loader on with no problems.

i made a yard winch with another 6500lbs warn on it , just chain it up to a post or any other heavy unit and pull them around . it was a very useful tool to move a few dozen dead hulks cars and trucks around in my yard . i put a stinger for a receiver hitch on it , i mounted on a receiver hitch unit to it . that was the best way to set it up for pulling in tight spots .

DSC01878.JPG

DSC01879.JPG

DSC01880.JPG

DSC01881.JPG

DSC01882.JPG

DSC01883.JPG

DSC01884.JPG

DSC01885.JPG

Smittybilt 9.5k with detachable plate from Speedway. Same price as HF Badlander. OE on some trailers. It's heavy but works great.

Harbor Freight had this:

26ED08C1-D57D-4815-A24B-41FF31BEB421.jpeg

61D7CFAD-FFE6-439D-9290-43C32F1E8DE8.jpeg

47E97668-0FF8-46BF-BF37-FB37E6CCD549.jpeg

That just seems unusually cheap.
Tractor Supply Company had this, I posted it earlier:

4A224AEC-FEE2-4553-ADA6-884F93ACBCBD.jpeg

B493D908-0ED9-4774-9898-6A04175C03D8.jpeg

Then for almost double, they had this:

79A0FC35-1725-4320-ACD2-FE51992418A8.jpeg

29EA5EF6-D001-441D-BF4F-7208D2E210FA.jpeg

I’m conflicted. I rarely ever default to the cheapest of anything but at the same time, I wonder how often I’d use whatever I buy. I try to consider where else I might use the winch to justify the expense.
I’m thinking that if a winch craps out on me on a retrieval, I could fall back to the Come Along.
Still, if I have some cash not set aside for anything else, why not step up?

F669521B-64FF-4F8A-AF05-A40D37EA8E0D.gif

Harbor Freight had this:

View attachment 1643303

View attachment 1643304

View attachment 1643305

That just seems unusually cheap.
Tractor Supply Company had this, I posted it earlier:

View attachment 1643306

View attachment 1643307

Then for almost double, they had this:

View attachment 1643308

View attachment 1643309

I’m conflicted. I rarely ever default to the cheapest of anything but at the same time, I wonder how often I’d use whatever I buy. I try to consider where else I might use the winch to justify the expense.
I’m thinking that if a winch craps out on me on a retrieval, I could fall back to the Come Along.
Still, if I have some cash not set aside for anything else, why not step up?

View attachment 1643312
do-it-now.gif

had a 4700 lbs warn on my trailer and broke the cable on a long pull , it made a birds nest of the cable and broke the trans on the winch , called warn and they said it was under a warranty protection and replaced , of course i sized up and just paid the difference between the two winches .

The 6000 lb version of the TSC winch has that synthetic rope people seem to like.

Auto Transport Service
Back