• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do? I was honest but disappointed.

It is a ME society today as evident by the very attitude of the check out girl and I must admit I am appalled at the number of folks here who would have by their very answer, just kept the money, knowing fully well it was not due to them..and we ask what is wrong with the world today...we can start with this thread...

I consider myself a pretty honest guy but I prolly would have kept it. If i notice in line I will give it back, but once I'm at the house its mine...

I have gotten stuff for free a few times, whether it was their mistake or it was just crammed somewhere in the basket I didn't see it. But when I think about making it right, I see them pressing charges for stealing or some absurd thing along those line because I was being honest. I'd rather just call it a lucky day and pay it forward when I get a chance.

Mr. Belvedere, you did the right thing. You also don't need us to tell you the right thing to do, your moral compass works just fine without us.

As far as the girl not saying thank you, well that comes down to the younger generation. Just like she said, she doesn't care about mistakes. I'd say too many participation trophies were handed her way. Too bad for her.

I would give it back. The store might not need it but you will teach the girl a life lesson. I'm sure she was embarrassed. My daughter worked at a restaurant last summer. She give the wrong bill to a table. Much cheaper than they deserved. They paid the much cheaper bill and she had to make up the difference from her pocket. $10 is not worth demeaning yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a ME society today as evident by the very attitude of the check out girl and I must admit I am appalled at the number of folks here who would have by their very answer, just kept the money, knowing fully well it was not due to them..and we ask what is wrong with the world today...we can start with this thread...

Totally agree!

Thanks to all who replied that I did the right thing. I greatly appreciate that. I will sleep well and I made my Karma better lol

I think everyone here applauds your honesty & character for doing what you did. But like you, I feel the checker did you an injustice by not showing some semblance of gratitude. I had a similar event at my bank. They gave me an extra $100 when I did my regular check cash/deposit. I was out of town for the weekend, but called them when I returned home. I took the $100 in & gave it to the teller. I certainly did not think that she would just treat it so Ho-hum. The reward you get is a clear conscience & the knowledge that you did the right thing. I once was told that character is what you do when no one is watching. And Sir, you have it.

As long as you're honest to youself is all that matters. What goes around, comes around.

It may not seem like it at times, but being consistently honest and reliable will pay big returns sooner or later. People around you will notice that you are credible and will learn to trust you to always do the right thing. You can't buy good will, you have to earn it.

You are right in saying that. I am luck to have a circle of friends that know me and trust me and respect me and some even look up to me. I try to set an example. I may fall short sometimes but I try to be an honest moral dependable guy and good friend. I will report back after I visit the manager and return the 10 when they reopen in the morning.
I am pleased and surprised at the response here. There a lot of good honest moral folks on this forum and that makes me feel good. I think most all the classic car guys I meet in general tend to be this type of person for the most part.

Update:
I returned the 10 and spoke to the head checker a lady in her late 60's and the 2 managers.
I let them know about my conversation with the young woman and they were not real surprised as they have had some issues with her before on other things. They made it clear they were grateful I was honest and that a few cents mistake "happens" but not 10 dollars! They made it clear they were going to have a talk with her and retrain her. They were all very nice and I left satisfied.

Good to hear that upper management was more positive and grateful to you. That should make the day brighter. :) Thanks for the update.

Good for you about being honest and returning the extra $10.00 you received. Kind of strange she did not, at least, say "thank you" but, there are lots of people with no communication skills and probably would think it is awkward saying "thank you" to a stranger!

Don't let it bother you and chalk it off as someone who doesn't know or care about saying "thank you" for an act of honesty and kindness.

Myself, I would have done as you because, most times, they are responsible if the register is short and cashiers do not make enough money to lose $10.00 without "feeling it" in their next check!

I feel better about the whole thing. Thanks to everyone for their support!!

A person has got to look at them self in the mirror everyday and you can be proud of what you see looking back at you....hats off to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back