• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what's the going rate for a bulge hood?

oldcane

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
My wife wants one and she's finding them from $2500 down to $700. WOW! Is this normal or is somebody on drugs? I'm not wondering about the guy that found one in a farmers field for $50. I just mean on average, are they really over $200 for a used hood?

I saw one for sale in New Orleans for $350.

I've got one for `68 Coronet, needs some work but is not rusty, with the hockey stick inserts for $600 + shipping, located in Detroit. PM me if your interested.

When you say bulge hood, are you referring to a '71 - '74 Charger hood? Just remember you are dealing with supply and demand. If for the 3rd gen, the $2500 was probably for the air grabber. Maybe if absolutely mint and complete, but I wouldn't. Not many out there and some are just plain rusty, dented crap, but $1500 if nice and complete. The R/T louvered hood I've seen for sale around $1500, but $800 is more in line for a nice complete one and is also in short supply. The Super Bee hood, which I personally don't like on anything other than a Super Bee, in the $600 to $800 range. The plain bulge hood, which I have seen for sale as high as $1500, cough cough, can be had in the $300 to $800 range but $600 to $700 for a nice one is more realistic. The people selling at rediculous high prices have been trying for over a year and still have their parts. Stretching it in a good economy maybe, but not today. If you don't need it yesterday, shop around and wait until you find something you are comfortable with. Don't feed the gougers or they will never go away. Like Matt said, take into consideration the shipping. It ain't cheap.

I have seen 73-74 RR bulge hoods go for $50-$200 on CL. I dont pay much attention since I have the OE bulge hood on my car.

Sorry guys, I wasn't paying attention what section I was in and I immediately started thinking `68 or 9, but I'll stand by MRHWS, well said.

73-74 RR hoods are MUCH cheaper than 71-74 Charger bulge hoods.

I paid $200 for a good skin on a rusty frame and was happy to do it.

If you want to pay truck freight from Canada, you can get a fiberglass one for $600.

I wonder if they'd give quantity discount. I bet you could sell a truckload a year at swap meets.

I heard a rumor that AMD was going to repop these hoods in the near future. If that's the case the used ones should come down in price if you didn't want to sping for a new one.

If your going to spend that much - you may as well get a fiberglass-..

Actually, the fiberglass is cheaper even with shipping. This used one would be a semi-local sale so no shipping. Still, this seems WAY out of line for a used hood. It's a 440 with the emblems on it in primer and ready to go. To me, it means those holes need to be filled and then the whole car painted. It need spaint anyway and a tiny bit of body work but I think the hood a waste of money. Her's is an SE and I think that looks good. A muscle car with a hood ornament.

Actually, the fiberglass is cheaper even with shipping. This used one would be a semi-local sale so no shipping. Still, this seems WAY out of line for a used hood. It's a 440 with the emblems on it in primer and ready to go. To me, it means those holes need to be filled and then the whole car painted. It need spaint anyway and a tiny bit of body work but I think the hood a waste of money. Her's is an SE and I think that looks good. A muscle car with a hood ornament.
SE's look great with a bulge hood.

73charger5march6.gif

Still, this seems WAY out of line for a used hood.

Thats what happens on mopars. Good parts cost. There arent as many of them as the camaros andd mustang dime a dozen cars. Just think what an average new caar costs. Put that amount in your car over 5 yrs and see what you have. The car will be worth more than when you started and didnt depriciate like a new one

i know thee going rate for a 71-72airgrabber hood is 2500$ may not include switches ect - ripoff imo

I just sold my 71 superbee hood for 850$ here in cali minus the insert

AMD is NOT going to make the bulge hoods. They are not going to reproduce any of the bulge hoods for 71-74 Dodge. They are not making the 71 R/T skins or the 72 Rallye.

Like previously stated, good parts are hard to find. I actually like tge fact the sheet metal companys arnt re poping stuff. Makes for a better hunt. And a more correct car.

Auto Transport Service
Back