• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's you favorite gear ratio for the street?

SteveSS

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm talking 8 3/4 for hot rodding around. Not if your using your car for highway use or strictly 1/4 mile. I have to admit I like burnouts but I do take short trips at 55-65 mph.

What your favorite?

The old fashioned trick question. I like 4.56 for maximum performance, and 3.23 for higher speed cruisability. Not a fan of the vanilla inbetweener, that's good at neither.

Short trips at 65, no drag racing, just driving around town?
I'd pick 3.73.
One of my cars has a 3.50, gonna chage it to 4.10
My savoy has 3.91,cause its just as fast as when it had 4.11s.
If I changed out the 4.10s in my rr, I'd put 3.23s in it, cause 3.54 is not enough ratio change to make the $$$ worthwhile.
In my opinion a 3.23 is an excellent compromise gear. Probably why Mopar put them in a lot of cars.
But gear ratio that is appropriate is ENTIRELY based on usage.
Edit: if I'm changing a gear ratio, a half ratio is the minimum change
No 3.07 to 3.23, or 3.23 to 3.55. If you're gonna do it, DO IT!

I like 4.10's with overdrive.
Or 3.23's
3.55 only if never really on the freeway

28" tire

3:91s are in a few of mine, 4:11 in one but long trips require highway gears.. I recall my buddies swapping chunks at the hotels and all of us helped, it was quick and easy. Now that we are getting older highway gears go in before the trip and stay all the way back.

To the Op's question, I mostly have 3.55's but I run rather low-profile tires, starting to try 3.23 since they see more street use then circuit.
I'm going 3.23 in my Mag Dana 60, with tall tires and a Tremec 600 that is more a fun car.

Im running a 3.54 Dana.

I keep thinking about picking up a correct rear axle assy and swap it out for the 3.23s

3.55 behind the 440 gets me about 3k rpm at 65 mph. It has little issue making burnout noises whenever.

I'm talking 8 3/4 for hot rodding around. Not if your using your car for highway use or strictly 1/4 mile. I have to admit I like burnouts but I do take short trips at 55-65 mph.

What your favorite?
29" tire.
But it's on a street rod that
doesn't see much freeway.
Great for stoplight
challenges.

3.23. Great on the highway and my wagon went 13.40s all day long with a 360 crate motor, pump gas, and street tires.

I loved my 4:30's.. With a .69 O/D... But I just pulled them out & dropped in 3:55's, But the new trans has a much deeper 1st gear so it's actually lower geared in first than it was before... And having gone from a 4 spd Auto to a 5 spd manual the O/D is substantially taller....
80 MPH = 2450 rpms

Ahhh, youz guys with your 3 speed automatics and 4 speed manuals.....

01 face 4.gif

Overdrives almost make axle gearing irrelevant.
Years ago, I ran a 4.10 with a 28" tire. I have a 440 based 495. The car was really snappy at all speeds but freeway driving at 65 at almost 4000 rpms SUCKED. I swapped in a 3.91 and a Gear Vendors that took that down to a 3.05. I later sold the GV and swapped to a 3.55 and have kept it. In 2021 I swapped in a Tremec 5 speed with a .64 5th gear. Yeah...the overdrive dropped rpms by a third. My final drive now is 2.27. I've considered going back to 3.91s to get a bit of snap back but the car is actually pretty fast as it is now.

I have 3.54 and 3.55 in my 2 Plymouths so I guess that makes it my favorite for Mopars. I once had a Firebird TA with 3.73 and 4 speed and for years that was my all around favorite rear ratio.

Ahhh, youz guys with your 3 speed automatics and 4 speed manuals.....

View attachment 1742732

Overdrives almost make axle gearing irrelevant.
Years ago, I ran a 4.10 with a 28" tire. I have a 440 based 495. The car was really snappy at all speeds but freeway driving at 65 at almost 4000 rpms SUCKED. I swapped in a 3.91 and a Gear Vendors that took that down to a 3.05. I later sold the GV and swapped to a 3.55 and have kept it. In 2021 I swapped in a Tremec 5 speed with a .64 5th gear. Yeah...the overdrive dropped rpms by a third. My final drive now is 2.27. I've considered going back to 3.91s to get a bit of snap back but the car is actually pretty fast as it is now.
Overdrive is icing on the cake. It's what every 833 or Torqueflite equipped car is lacking. You should be able to do burnouts with a 4.10 and cruse at 65 or so at 2000 rpm or less. The best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back