• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Wednesday

Wheels 33.jpg

Classic Industries steering wheel in my '64 Polara with a FBBO member's "Fratzog" horn button emblem.

View attachment 1569641
Found it! lol, guess I should have looked a bit more. That looks great. How does it compare to the big skinny wheel? Was it an easy install and would it be easy to put the original back on if you so desired?

I like the feel of the new steering wheel over the original. It is the same size as the wheel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I drive every day. I like the leather covering because it is not slippery like the original wheel. I also never cared for the oval shape of the original wheel.
Installation was easy, and should be reversible, if you change your mind later. This new wheel has no master spline, like the original. This means that you have to be sure your front wheels are dead straight ahead, when you go to install this steering wheel. I am not very impressed with the way this assembly cancels the turn signal, however. This is accomplished by a split pin driven into a hole in the steering wheel base. I found that I had to bend this pin to correctly contact the factory switch cancellation points. Although the switch originally worked, I have found that shortly after installation, my turn signals no longer cancel. I will have to pull the wheel to find out what has gone wrong here. I suspect that the pin I had to bend has broken off. Other than this small problem , I am happy with the looks and ease of installation of Classic Industry's wheel. The wheel comes with a simple " Dodge " sticker for the centre of the horn button. One of the forum members here makes a period " Fratzog " emblem for the horn button. Although it is a little larger than the horn button relief, I was able to attach it with silicon glue.

DSCF0024.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back