• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When a dual axle car trailer does this:

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG

The front axle is hanging up and the tires aren't touching the ground.

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

I had this car on it today:

Rust 7.JPG

At one point I went through a parking lot over a speed bump and heard a smack-slap sound. When I parked, I noticed that the rear axle and tires were the only ones touching the ground. I thought that maybe I had the car too far rearward or forward but after unloading, the axles stayed this way.
The trailer was bought new last year.

I wonder if the smacking sound was from when this shackle piece hit the underside of the deck...?

IMG_2397 (2).jpg

Looks to me Greg, that your walking beam / equalizer bar is jammed
Have you tried loosening that bolt in the center
Is it still jammed?

Looks to me Greg, that your walking beam / equalizer bar is jammed
Have you tried loosening that bolt in the center
Is it still jammed?
It is 10:30 PM, I'll have to look at it again tomorrow. It was like this when I left it at 6:30.

What is rated for? Per axle?
That Duster couldn’t be much more then 3000 lbs
Even lighter now. Lol

I thought it was an 8000 lb rated trailer. I thought I had the papers right here but they may be in the truck.

Grab your floor jack & lift at the front end of the rear spring....

You know Greg, you have to pay big money to get a lift axle like that.
Yes smart ***
It’s like 3am ast working the night shift here.
All joking aside wonder why she did that? When you hit the speed bump must of been moving right along?
The spring didn’t spring and just flipped the shackle
Was it loaded at the time?
Anyway nothing broke just a pita to flip it back

Last edited:
Wow, I’ve owned the same style double axle car hauler for 24 years now and never had that happen. I have about ~30,000 miles on the trailer, including a time my dad severely overloaded it with his machine shop equipment.

Looks like an easy fix, good to know.

My pontoon boat trailer does that almost every time that I launch from a ramp near me. It has a pretty sharp crown at the top of the ramp and with the weight of the boat it lets the trailer suspension overextend (doesn't do it when empty) when it rolls over the peak of the crown. I fix it by prying, but you need to be careful because it unbinds with a lot of force.

There you go Greg. Is a easy fix. But a fix just the same. This is a good spot here. :thumbsup:

The ol floop de doop. Came home late from the track like that years ago.
"Jesus this thing tows like ****"
Big pry bar, big bang.

I'm thinking that the spacing is off. Who ever built the trailer didn't weld the tabs at the correct distance.

Auto Transport Service
Back