• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are you guys hiding your stereos?

arsinist01

Banned
Banned
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
Just curious where you guys were hiding your stereos, assuming that you do hide your stereo. I was considering putting mine in my glove box, but I didn't really want to lose that much room in there. Thought about putting it under the dash, but couldn't figure where I should put it under there.

Just curious what you guys came up with.

Also my satellite didn't come with rear speakers, I was thinking about putting a couple of 6x9's back there, just couldn't figure out a way to hide them or make them look factory, any ideas?

Pics if you got 'em lol.

P9270005.jpgI have stereos in the glove box of my 70 Challenger and 69 Daytona. I had the stereo in my 68 Charger when I sold it. It is easy to install and can be easily controled with a remote. Down side is you lose the storage space in the glove box (I have consoles in both cars for storage and just don't keep that much junk in those cars any way). and the glove box has to be open to use the remote. The upside, depending on the syatem you choose it is likely cheaper than "hidden stereo"

When I had a stereo it was also in the glove box. Course that was when I had a small block and removed it when I put in the big block with 2.5" dumped exhaust couldn't really hear it lol.

I didn't bother hiding mine. It's in the cutout dash. :) But, the speakers are another story as our 74 Roadrunners and Satellites didn't come equipped for two speakers in the rear. What you'll find back there under the package tray are two holes, one cut for a speaker and one cut for a rear defroster unit. The passenger side hole for the defroster unit will accept a 6 x 9 speaker no problem, but the driver's side hole for the speaker is about 1.5" too small.

The fix for this, and if you're hiding your stereo this will help you out, is to mount the speakers from below the sheet metal shelf back there instead of from the top and through the package tray. This is a lot easier than trying to make the speaker hole bigger.

Just curious where you guys were hiding your stereos, assuming that you do hide your stereo. I was considering putting mine in my glove box, but I didn't really want to lose that much room in there. Thought about putting it under the dash, but couldn't figure where I should put it under there.

Just curious what you guys came up with.

Also my satellite didn't come with rear speakers, I was thinking about putting a couple of 6x9's back there, just couldn't figure out a way to hide them or make them look factory, any ideas?

Pics if you got 'em lol.

STEREO ??
Who needs a stereo??
I dont need no stinkin stereo...I listen to the Hemi !

x2 what Burzilla said.

I'm sure you can get a package tray that has factory speaker slots cut in it.

The 68-70's do have 6x9 cutouts, but they are not paralell with each other.

Mty stereo is hung under the factory am jams. i'm using brackets from a rack mount network switch.

I like to be able to see and reach the controls while driving.

If I was doing dash or cluster mods or repairs, I would consider putting in a cluster face that had already been hacked (should be REAL easy to find) and mounting in the factory position. You can get them to look pretty clean, if you try.

I also have a factory cassette pod (NOT real easy to find) that I may use.

0637.jpg

I did a custom Focal 6 1/2 component in the kick panel and use a JBL MS8 which is hidden in the ash tray. The iPod sits in the console as I only use it. Decided not to use a deck as I am on my iPod 99% of the time. Have a single JL 10W7 in a custom enclosure in the trunk. Didn't want to cut into the door panel and wanted a stealth stock look. It sounds amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the inside of the console. Dual accessory plug ins. Bass control for the sub and iPod/MP3 connections. Volume is controlled by MS8 remote. Also have my line lock switch hiding in the console.

0619.jpg

Very happy how it all turned out.

On my `66, I hid the stereo...in the stock radio.

I sent my original AM radio to Gary Tayman http://www.taymanelectrical.com/ who, gutted it, then installed all new components, enabling it to play AM or FM stereo and added RCA inputs for CD players, iPods, satellite receivers, or other external devices through it. Radio looks stock in the dash, but now a quick flip of the power knob switches it from FM to AM (FM being the default), or simply plugging into the wire I have running into the glove box allows any type device to override the radio to play recorded music! Gary sends the radio back wired (still using the factory power plug!) to accommodate 1, 2, 3, or 4 speaker setups.
Is it a $X,*** system?...No.
Does it sound like a $X,*** system?...No.
Does it sound better than the original radio?...Much Better.
Does it allow me to listen to radio or play recorded music?...Yes.
Will it play loud?...Louder than I want to hear it!
In my opinion, the out put is ample at a max of 180 watts. I had problems with recieving an FM signal once installed. Gary PROMPTLY returned my call(!) and helped me troubleshoot over the phone. Turned out to be a bad connection at my re-popped antennna! I realize some owners want a 'sick' sound system, but keeping an original look while getting a means to play FM radio and pre-recorded (especially `60s & `70s!) music was my goal. For speakers I put a replacement 4x10 (Kicker sells them) and a set of 6X9 Pioneers under the package tray to really keep the interior 'retro' looking. I will be sending him my factory clock next, as he re-does them as well.

I have speaker wires ran under the carpet and come up to the back seat, I have two small box speakers that have quick disconect that sit on the back seat. Easy to remove for shows.

I went with a custom auto sound stereo I found on ebay fit just like stock no modifying and it sounds great I opted out on the cd changer and just use the usbs as cds which I ran the cord to my glovy. For the center speaker in the dash I bought the adapter plate from a member on here and put 2 3.5s in it works great. As far as the rear speakers go I used 2 6x9s on the left where it is setup for the defrost I mounted just like the other side only needed to make four new holes to mount speaker and the edge didn't interfere with the woofer at all.IMAG0251.jpgIMAG0252.jpgIMAG0253.jpgIMAG0354.jpg

I think Im going to put the amp in my trunk ,mount two 6x9 on the back deck...then just run a 1/8 plug/cord to my console then just use mp3 player on my phone or any other mp3 / fm I want

also i forgot to mention that the deck i have also has a input to hook mp3s or phones as well. for bass I actually do have a sub box in the trunk with 2 12s and a big amp that runs my 6x9s and my 12s.

I'm "hiding" mine in a RetroSound unit that fits just like the factory unit did. MP3 jack right in front. Very happy with it.

I will need an adapter plate as well, is that something the other member fabricated? Or is there a place i can look to find one?

That looks real good.. I didn't even hide mine, just keep it under the dash sitting at an angle onto the console.. I do like this idea though!

"I went with a custom auto sound stereo I found on ebay fit just like stock no modifying and it sounds great I opted out on the cd changer and just use the usbs as cds which I ran the cord to my glovy. For the center speaker in the dash I bought the adapter plate from a member on here and put 2 3.5s in it works great. As far as the rear speakers go I used 2 6x9s on the left where it is setup for the defrost I mounted just like the other side only needed to make four new holes to mount speaker and the edge didn't interfere with the woofer at all."

Auto Transport Service
Back