• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I find ball joint boots without buying a ball joint to get them?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Sometimes a boot gets torn and you need to replace it but the ball joint itself is still good.
I just rebuilt the front suspension in a '72 Duster....

1724491454578.png

...In my case, I wanted to use up some of the spare parts that I've had in the shed awhile. I screwed in some upper ball joints but didn't have any boots for them...

1724491641806.png

I ended up buying a front end kit from PST (I needed lower ball joints and strut rod bushings anyway) so I'm really no further ahead than I was before.
I've seen umbrella type seals for the tie rod ends. Those are better than nothing but actual grease boots are the ideal option.
Does anyone know any company that sells just boots or seals?

At one time you were able to get them from the Dealer. I'm talking in the 80's and early 90's.

Dorman makes universal ones that I have used, Chinese crap that does NOT last very long. I have used 50 year old boogered up ones cause the new stuff I found was worthless.

Sometimes a boot gets torn and you need to replace it but the ball joint itself is still good.
I just rebuilt the front suspension in a '72 Duster....

View attachment 1715895

...In my case, I wanted to use up some of the spare parts that I've had in the shed awhile. I screwed in some upper ball joints but didn't have any boots for them...

View attachment 1715896

I ended up buying a front end kit from PST (I needed lower ball joints and strut rod bushings anyway) so I'm really no further ahead than I was before.
I've seen umbrella type seals for the tie rod ends. Those are better than nothing but actual grease boots are the ideal option.
Does anyone know any company that sells just boots or seals?
Did you contact Craig / @mobileparts

Did you contact Craig / @mobileparts
I forgot about that guy.
I knew that you could buy aftermarket generic stuff, I should have mentioned that I was hoping to read from success stories of stuff that people bought and were happy with. Thanks for the input. I may take a chance and see.

I forgot about that guy.
I knew that you could buy aftermarket generic stuff, I should have mentioned that I was hoping to read from success stories of stuff that people bought and were happy with. Thanks for the input. I may take a chance and see.

As mentioned previously, Energy Suspension. Great product. I replaced all of my boots with them and I'm very satisfied. I had a few Dorman boots on there and they didn't last a couple of years.

The energy suspension tie rod boots I had a few years ago were crap.
They did not actually snap on to the joint, they just sat there and were easy to basically fall off.
If you applied grease, it easily pushed the boot off.

The energy suspension tie rod boots I had a few years ago were crap.
They did not actually snap on to the joint, they just sat there and were easy to basically fall off.
If you applied grease, it easily pushed the boot off.

I haven't seen any that snapped on. The factory made tie rods had the boot crimped to the socket. I don't know how you could do that after the originals go bad.

Now their ball joint boots press on to the upper ones and fit snug on the lower. The poly material is what I like also compared to other brands just using inferior rubber.

When I received my PST kit last week, I opened the box and looked everything over. It all looked fine. I did order two extra sets of the urethane strut rod bushings but only one set was in the box.
I called Friday but they were already closed. I called today and told the guy...."I ordered two sets but only one set was in the box."
After a short pause, he said...."Are you sure"? ..... "Uhh, there was one bag with 4 bushings in it, two per side of the car."
I told the guy that I wasn't trying to cheat them out of a free set, I paid for two sets and only one was shipped.
He played it off like he wasn't accusing me of trying to cheat them out of some free parts.
Come on, man...Is that the way you treat customers now?
Then I asked about replacement grease boots, he said he would ship a set out to me but wouldn't tell me what the price was.
Did I get the drunken nephew on the phone there?

To bad James is no longer at PST.

Auto Transport Service
Back