• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where were you, In the summer of '73? American Graffiti turns 50 years old.

To think they couldn't give that car away!

Like the car. However, I'm
one who believes the
bloodlines of a vehicle
remain pure. That Chevy
engine should be a flathead
Ford, and the rear diff, a Ford
9".
I find a lot of these
rebuilders on TV to be
somewhat of a turn-off
when they throw an LS
in everything.

Last edited:
Since I was born in October, I would have been 21 during the summer of 1973. I saw the movie at a drive-in and liked it, even though it was supposed to be describing things that teenagers were doing a decade ago in the early 60s e.g., cruising the main drag looking for action, street racing, trying to get beer on the sly, etc. This was no different from what we were doing in 73.That was a summer to remember.

I had a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS in the summer of 73. I traded it in for a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus two years later. They might have given Milner's Deuce Coupe a run for its money.

First where's Kern Dog? Could we get a spell check on the thread title please... American Graffiti
I know this is a year old.

IMG_8025.png

The 55 Chevy in the movie was one of the two 55 Chevies that were used in the 1971 movie Two Lane Blacktop. The other 55 Chevy was seen in an episode of Adam 12 as well.

The 55 Chevy in the movie was one of the two 55 Chevies that were used in the 1971 movie Two Lane Blacktop. The other 55 Chevy was seen in an episode of Adam 12 as well.
I remember reading about
this some time ago. The
cars were just mere shells
and literally junk as they
knew they were going to be
wrecked during the movie
shoots.

I was 8 as well, growing up in a the Bronx.

I was only 4 years old.

Well I was 9 years old

I was 9 years old

73 just being a 10 year old kid

i was 9 .

I didn't know that so many others here were almost the same age as me.

I was 20 in 73. Makes me 70 now. Jesus Chrysler! Married at 19. Total moron. Still am.
What? I thought we were 10 years apart. I was born in '65.

I remember reading about
this some time ago. The
cars were just mere shells
and literally junk as they
knew they were going to be
wrecked during the movie
shoots.
One of the 55 Chevies in Two Lane Blacktop was a close up camera car,the other one was an all out drag car. The drag car showed up on the Adam 12 episode,and the camera car was rolled at the end of American Graffiti.

The 55 that rolled over had painted wheels, the one in the street scenes had chrome wheels.

The 55 that rolled over had painted wheels, the one in the street scenes had chrome wheels.
It is entirely possible that they could have used both of the 55 Chevies from Two Lane Blacktop in American Graffiti. Both cars were on the lot. The GTO from the movie also appeared in an episode of Adam 12. Both of the Adam 12 episodes that featured the Two Lane Blacktop cars were filmed before American Graffiti. I believe that they were from 1972.

Last edited:
I didn't know that there was a third Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy. I had only heard of two of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back