• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has tried this muffler?

I bought 3" glass packs for my '65.... I hate that tinny sound from those chambered mufflers.

Against my better judgement I entered my '80-something Thunderbird in a muffler rapping contest at a local show. Had a pair of $15 steel packs on it...I won!!!!
Previous owner of one of my cars entered an open header contest with it.

Spun a bearing, blew the motor up.

I love an engine that has a change of tone on the down rev when you're changing gears in a manual transmission car.
It is that point where the rpm drops as you upshift to the next gear...the engine is not under load at this point since the clutch is disengaged.
These Ultra Flo mufflers seem to dampen the tone so much, it almost seems like a stock muffler designed to meet HOA requirements.

I love an engine that has a change of tone on the down rev when you're changing gears in a manual transmission car.
It is that point where the rpm drops as you upshift to the next gear...the engine is not under load at this point since the clutch is disengaged.
These Ultra Flo mufflers seem to dampen the tone so much, it almost seems like a stock muffler designed to meet HOA requirements.
I have Ultra Flos on my car. I agree they don't sound as aggressive, but one benefit is they are a straight-through design. I once swapped in a chambered muffler that had a better sound and right away noticed a decrease in torque. It felt like my motor had a sock in the exhaust. I swapped the Ultre Flos back on and performance was back. Maybe it's because my motor is fairly mild - a .475" lift cam, 391 hp/523 ft-lb torque at wheels.

Greg, talk to Dennis H. He runs the Dynomax Super Turbos. They are chambered and sound better than the Flowmaster 40's to me.

I also liked the quieter running of the Hydraulic cam in both the 383 in Jigsaw and the 451 in Dwayne's car. The solid lifter clatter is starting to annoy me. I'll bet it makes additional noise when out on the road too. Going down the road at 70 mph, the engine noise I'm hearing from up front isn't the kind that makes me smile like a nice exhaust tone would. A quieter running valvetrain with a bit more exhaust tone may get my motor runnin' a bit!

For what its worth.....
I have the giant flowmasters on my 62, 3.5in/out hooker Aero's on my Tina, and looong Magnaflow 3" on my Opel
The magnaflows are plenty quiet for me, didn't care for the sound of the aero's at first, once I got used them, they were okay. I like my Flowmaster sound the best.
And all three have a solid cam, flat tappets on the 62 and Opel, solid roller in the Tina. My diesels have much more obnoxious engine noise.

I have Ultra Flos on my car. I agree they don't sound as aggressive,
..until you get into the throttle, then they roar! (At least mine do, 3" all the way back). I do like that about those mufflers.
I like the Flowmaster sound too though, it's more rumbly than raspy at idle compared to the Ultra flows IMO. I have a 40 on my Hemi truck and it sounds good.
I've noodled with the idea of putting them on my '68 as well, but then I get scared of having my muscle car sound like my late-model pickup so for now, DynoMax gets the nod.

As a side note, have any of you heard how your car sounds to the world? It does take letting someone else drive your car, which I know is unnerving...but when my trusted alignment guy took my car for a short test drive I couldn't believe how loud and rumbly it was with the 3" Ultra-Flows. I've been extra sweet to my neighbors since then!:D :D :D

In your case Greg I'd probably choose the 50s. They still sound good and rumbly but aren't as annoyingly loud as the 40 series stuff (especially with nearly 500" and a healthy solid cam).

They sound different in cars with catalytic converters.

I like & I prefer the Flowmasters
on both my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr with a bunch of bolt-ons & tuner
300+hp-ish w/3" cat-back 'single' Series 50 Delta flow
& on my 68 RR American Muscle car system Delta 50s Series
mandrel 3" exhaust system all the way out the back
tailpipes out the rear, yes it's a tad bit louder than some,
IMO They are heavy (they are steel & IIRC are like 5"+ x 20"s+) is the only real downfall...
but;
I like the performance & tone it's not wimpy, or tinny
&
IMHFO it's suppose to be a bit obnoxious... it's a 68 RR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer the tone of the Delta 50 Flowmasters,
(I'm not a huge fan of the 40's, it's too loud, & too tinny, for cruising)
over the mild straight through sounding Dyno-Maxs, guys I know that have them
or from some that seem to love it/them...
I just didn't like the tone, especially at idle
&
I get no "alleged" noticeable 'dreaded drone' some claim either
Mine the difference between uncapped 'tuned'
& with full exhaust 'tuned' was like 12 hp
(most of that ET difference is probably weight)
I can live with that...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bare with me a long backstory...
I had a good friend Mark Lowe
(professional head porter, one of the best at the time, may he RIP)
he help me do some finish porting work, on my RRs combo
back in early 2000s
I was curious, I ask if we could do it, so we set it up
we did a flow test with 1 header installed, at 0.600" gross valve lift
(for what would be 'the then' 1.5:1 rockers)
with 1/2 the 3" Muscle Car pipe/system H-pipe blocked/tapped off
& out thru the full muffler/system 1 side, all the way thru/out the tailpipe,
what a PITA that was, had to move & stack **** to hold it all up...

this was Back when I ran N2O on the street, did a lot of cruising
& occasional street racing still, out Scott rd. or El Camino in Sacramento Area
it's lil' 383/479cid 4.15" stroke & 4.290" bore, 700hp+ before N2O
that car went best of 9.77 @ 135 with no N2O, full exhaust
3,520#s, worn out M/T Drag Radials
(org. with a 6bbl, flowed 940 'real cfm', not the 350cfm center & 2x500 cfm ea. outers/1350cfm it's rated at)
& best run/pass on N2O 8.58 @ 156 thru mufflers/tailpipes,
with a single 1050 Holley Dominator/actually flowed like 1200+cfm,
w/a 350hp (more like 300hp) Top Gun plate kit, big Powerdine Solenoids,
10# bottle w/1,900#s bottle pressure, 5 psi on the fuel side, 'flowing'...
Anyway I wanted to see if the exhaust system was really killing it,
like so many 'wives-tales' & usually all "total conjecture" I had heard over the years,
so many people that don't know what they are actually talking about,
&/or those that repeat it all on the internet now
unfortunately
on the flow bench we actually couldn't replicate the N2O added effect or not

But;
it actually had a slight scavenging effect with the full exhaust on,
less than a 10 or 12cfm on total flow/cfm #s out the end,
very lil' noticeable backpressure, less than a 1 PSI difference out the tail pipes
& after 36" or so of a pipe 'of straight tail pipe', after the H-pipe 20-ish inches back ,
it didn't make any differences, it was the same, as if we had a full exhaust
heads made the most flow/cfm like 335cfm 'intake flowing' for power at 0.600" GVL
(Cam was a 0.660/0.690"-ish with 1.6:1 rockers GVL, I actually ran later)
for the test w/a makeshift tube at the intake port
to replicate an intake manifold
with 18" collector extensions, open headers
headers were a cobbled up set Hedman's, I made work in the car
1-7/8" to 2" stepped at like 12-14"s in a 32" long tubes,
into the (heavy) Flowmasters 4-2-1 scavenger header collectors,
& the 3" Delta Flow 50 Series 'Muscle Car' system mufflers full kit
I was pleasantly shocked, I was actually completely surprised

I don't even think, the Dyno-Max straight thru mufflers weren't out yet then too

I don't believe all the BS hype & total conjecture or "alleged" #'s on manufacturers spiel
about all mufflers, they all are trying to sell you their mufflers...
IMO (my experiences) their major advantage of the Dyno Max vs Delta 50 Flowmasters
is less weight & being IIRC 18ga. stainless steel...

I suggest people check out the MotorTrend's Engine Masters episodes on it
they did the test on a IIRC (Freiberger's)
800+hp NA 1 4bbl Brodix headed 477cid BBC 4.5" big bore x 3.75" stroke
It confirmed what we figured out many, many years ago...
The old org. type 'Hemi Turbo Muffler' sold by all the big chains
killed the most power, like 50-60hp (or more ?), they're quiet, but they robbed power
IIRC the Flowmasters Delta flow, don't remember the series #s used,
were like 12-15hp killed, on their makeshift full cobbled up 3" exhaust
on an 800+hp combo...

Wall of text.jpg

Last edited:
For what its worth.....
I have the giant flowmasters on my 62, 3.5in/out hooker Aero's on my Tina, and looong Magnaflow 3" on my Opel
The magnaflows are plenty quiet for me, didn't care for the sound of the aero's at first, once I got used them, they were okay. I like my Flowmaster sound the best.
And all three have a solid cam, flat tappets on the 62 and Opel, solid roller in the Tina. My diesels have much more obnoxious engine noise.
you just reminded me - the Hooker Aeros (2.5") were the ones I tried and didn't like. They sounded bitchin' backing my friend's built Magnum 360 behind his 68 Barracuda, but didn't like them with my motor.

..until you get into the throttle, then they roar! (At least mine do, 3" all the way back). I do like that about those mufflers.
As a side note, have any of you heard how your car sounds to the world? It does take letting someone else drive your car, which I know is unnerving...but when my trusted alignment guy took my car for a short test drive I couldn't believe how loud and rumbly it was with the 3" Ultra-Flows. I've been extra sweet to my neighbors since then!:D :D :D
I agree - they do sound good when I floor it! I had not heard how my car sounds with the Dynomax Ultraflos until Greg backed my car off the trailer a week ago. I said to myself - I don't remember my car sounding that good before...It sounds better outside than behind the driver seat to me.

Maybe I'm in the same boat. I have never heard my car being driven by someone else.

I have flow masters but not sure what model they are. They sound great, from what people tell me.

Yeah
Previous owner of one of my cars entered an open header contest with it.

Spun a bearing, blew the motor up.
I'm not much for muffler rapping or burnout contests either...must have been the beer operating the acceleramater....

View attachment 1662228

Remember that great Flowmaster sound?

How about this one?

View attachment 1662230

I have a hankering for that traditional Flowmaster sound.

I am going with Gibson MWA mufflers after watching videos and reviews... i just ordered 2 3" ones i think they were $97 each on sale from their webpage..

P.S. they are straight through with no baffles or filler to blow out.. supposedly only 3cfm loss across them

Auto Transport Service
Back