• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

That AN-225 may be Russian, but it's first commercial flight was used to carry food for the US military - 187.5 tons of it in one flight (216,000 meals). What an awesome sight to see so much metal in the air.

Love a pair of Jugs. But in this case there are six. All flying abreast.......

30f2bd4e896ea782eafbeab3f2c3ddb1.jpg
Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star(s)

Got me. Sorta looks like a Republic F-105, but main gear isnt tall enough, gear legs appear to be almost flat, judging by looks of gear doors. Bird looks smaller too. The prop must be driven by the jet....no fwd air intakes to indicate a second, independent engine for it......thoseleading edge air intakes arent very large either. Clean looking airframe. Is this a built experimental, or an already existing airframe converted?

Modded Lodestar conversion i grew up in.....dubbed Gulfstar, it was one of 3 L-18's converted for Gulf Oil in fifties. Had Wright 1820's in place of the Pratt & Wittneys. Wings clipped, flap trax shaved, loaded for bear avionics wise.

IMG_4643.jpg

Test beds for the venerable Pratt & Wittney PT-6 shaftless turbine. PT-6 core design is over 50 yrs old now.
A Boeing 720 & a Beech 18.
I worked @ Hamilton Aircraft in 1975 on Beech 18 Westwind conversions....one of the features was replacing the P&W R-985 Wasp radials with PT-6's.

Beech18blog.jpg PT6blog2.jpg

For US Military aircraft i am a fan of the F-4 Phantom, and the SR-71.
Two bad *** aircraft that were designed on the drafting table, instead of a computer.
Was a crew chief on the RF-4C Phantom in my signature picture, for a few years, during my enlistment.

69-370 Desktop Picture.jpg

Bears are baddass......anyone that thinks the then Soviet technology is inferior to ours is irrational. Still the worlds fastest turbo-prop...by a damn good margin. NASA chose the tu-144 SST for their flying lab over the Concorde. Lockheed & Boeing nevet got past clay mock ups in the SST race. Migs & Sukhois turn tighter than our counterparts. Nothing inferior about Russian know how.

British Royal Air Force, Vulcan Bomber also has a sweet spot with me as a favorite. :thumbsup:
(Not Mr. Spock from Star Trek) lol
Boy, these things were LOUD.
Went out of service in the mid 1980's, if i remember correctly.

Vulcan Bomber.png

Auto Transport Service
Back