• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

Flying Jimi's 5'X9.5" Ceremonial flag.....
As some of you may know, I have been on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N since 03 September.
(That's a little tribute to Tammy Wynette)
Saturday 10 September Jimi's Flag arrived via FED->EX
I'm just waiting for the "Right Mission" to fly the flag
This week of course....
Updates to follow

SR-71 post #796

Interesting to note:
This world record included at least 6 Aerial refueling rendezvous'
That means slowing the SR-71 down to a "crawl" in SR-71 "speak" to 300Knts for refueling.
Refuel of the "71" would take perhaps 15 min total....(counting "initial hook-up, etc)

SR-71 post #796

Interesting to note:
That means slowing the SR-71 down to a "crawl" in SR-71 "speak" to 300Knts for refueling.
Refuel of the "71" would take perhaps 15 min total....(counting "initial hook-up, etc)
Ski....You know Anyone Who has flown an SR-71? What are the handling characteristics at low speed?

Flying Jimi's 5'X9.5" Ceremonial flag.....
As some of you may know, I have been on V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N since 03 September.
(That's a little tribute to Tammy Wynette)
Saturday 10 September Jimi's Flag arrived via FED->EX
I'm just waiting for the "Right Mission" to fly the flag
This week of course....
Updates to follow
This is Too Much.....i'm Totally Knocked Out...Agog by this Ski!
Thanks Main!!

Ski....You know Anyone Who has flown an SR-71? What are the handling characteristics at low speed?

SR-71 Pilot I met in 1996 was a Colonel Gustafson, here at Edwards
Tall, burly guy, bee flying Air Force for a long while
He was flying the SR-71 with the L.A.S.E.R Engine strapped on the back of the 71 Linear Aero Spike
Some sort of new engine the AF was testing
See pics:

EC97-44295-114.jpg

This is why I always say the SR-71 has been replaced with something much more sophisticated.....
This LASER engine program was being tested as a new form of propulsion system
The Colonel Gustafson told me personally: "It is the most dangerous flight I have ever had"
This program was 1995-1997
Also, I had seen the SR-71 program "re-introduced" into Air Force service after it was officially cancelled
Supposedly it was used as a "Chase" plane for a new undisclosed Air Force project
Again, 1996 I think.

335960main_EC96-43419-21_full.jpg

PS:
This was a new form of aerospace propulsion during the mid 90s being "kicked around" by the Air Force
And, interesting to note, it is still here on base tucked away, I can snap a pic of it this week, it is stored in a "yard" here at Edwards.
I personally think it was the AURORA Program.

SR-71_LASRE.jpg

I believe at low speeds the SR-71 is unstable
Allegedly it had a "NARROW" window for it's flight charastecisc's

The Air Force plane with the "WORST" or most "NARROW" has to be the U-2

Cool stuff!

But yes, if anyone thinks we just "gave it up" after the SR-71, well, I can assure you that is certainly not he case.
Rumor had it that the AURORA program's shief issue was: It was difficult to keep it "LIT"
I can only assume it is SCRAM JET technology

SR-71 post #796

Interesting to note:

Six refuels? I thought the SR could travel for 2500 miles on one fill, or about an hour. This site mentions one refuel for New York to London:
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/srspee~1.htm

I can see why the return flight to L.A. would be slower due to so much flight over land and the sonic boom problem.

PS:
This was a new form of aerospace propulsion during the mid 90s being "kicked around" by the Air Force
And, interesting to note, it is still here on base tucked away, I can snap a pic of it this week, it is stored in a "yard" here at Edwards.
I personally think it was the AURORA Program.

View attachment 360534
I know that name.

I had a feeling low speed instability was an issue......have any idea what the "speed over the fence" is? The mid-air refueling op must call for extra pairs of underwear. Carrier ops are what really blow me away.....that the airframes & pilots can handle those abuses. I knew a cowboy pilot who operated in & out of jungle with Boeing 727's. JATO assist take offs. He said He really did carry spare underwear.

When i was a kid @TUC, the National Guard operated off Tucson Int. F-100's subsequently some F-4's & U-2's. The U-2 would climb damn near vertical, controlling the speed to take care not to load the delicate long wings with too much drag.......on landing, spotter cars on each side to catch up on roll out before tips began to settle, to hook up the outrigger wheels, before wings began to droop.....critical timing on that procedure.

This is why I always say the SR-71 has been replaced with something much more sophisticated.....
This LASER engine program was being tested as a new form of propulsion system
The Colonel Gustafson told me personally: "It is the most dangerous flight I have ever had"
This program was 1995-1997
Also, I had seen the SR-71 program "re-introduced" into Air Force service after it was officially cancelled
Supposedly it was used as a "Chase" plane for a new undisclosed Air Force project
Again, 1996 I think.

View attachment 360532
Ski....hasnt the SR-71 been recommissioned twice since its initial retirement? I remember one used to be decommissioned @ March AFB in 90's, but heard it was put back into service some time ago.

Six refuels? I thought the SR could travel for 2500 miles on one fill, or about an hour. This site mentions one refuel for New York to London:
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/srspee~1.htm

I can see why the return flight to L.A. would be slower due to so much flight over land and the sonic boom problem.

Im not too sure under full power
That vehicle was thirsty
We should ask TUCK or CR8CRSHR
Tuck/ John is a retired Aerial Boomer

Regardless,
Slowing down to refuel numerous times
And, the SR always had to "Fill up" upon take-off
It never took off full

Ski....hasnt the SR-71 been recommissioned twice since its initial retirement? I remember one used to be decommissioned @ March AFB in 90's, but heard it was put back into service some time ago.

Yup, Jimi
As I mentioned, it was re-introduced in 96 or 97
Again, allegedly as a "Chase"

Back in 1974 i was a new airman, stationed in Germany, as a jet aircraft mechanic, working on the RF-4C Phantoms.
Make a long story short here, there always was a old guy, German national, that sold the Stars & Stripes newspaper, in front of the base theater every morning, on my walk out to the flight line, to start by day.
One morning i picked up the paper, and on the front page there was this hugh picture of the SR-71 aircraft.
Holy ****, i never heard of the SR-71, and i was an aircraft mechanic, going tnrough all their tech schools, and training, for jet aircraft.
They declassified it from secret status in 74, and until that time, i never knew one existed.
Got to the flight line, and showed the paper to the staff sargeant that was training me on the F-4.
He busted up laughing, as he was a crew chief on the SR - 71 at Beale AFB in California, for 8 years, but couldn't talk about it, because the aircraft was considered secret status.
I'm sure the Air Force has something in the inventory to replace the SR, just that we don't know anything about it.

Last edited:
Back in 1974 i was a new airman, stationed in Germany, as a jet aircraft mechanic, working on the RF-4C Phantoms.
Make a long story short here, there always was a old guy, German national, that sold the Stars & Stripes newspaper, in front of the base theater every morning, on my walk out to the flight line, to start by day.
One morning i picked up the paper, and on the front page there was this hugh picture of the SR-71 aircraft.
Holy ****, i never heard of the SR-71, and i was an aircraft mechanic, going tnrough all their tech schools, and training, for jet aircraft.
They declassified it from secret status in 74, and until that time, i never knew one existed.
Got to the flight line, and showed the paper to the staff sargeant that was training me on the F-4.
He busted up laughing, as he was a crew chief on the SR - 71 at Beale AFB in California, for 8 years, but couldn't talk about it, because the aircraft was considered secret status.
I'm sure the Air Force has something in the inventory to replace the SR, just that we don't know anything about it.

GREAT POST!
How cool!
Yup, some things ARE kept quiet as your related experience shows hemi71x!
I had a couple of Bud's at Beale, swapping out Black Boxes as they used to say
(Black boxes are actually Orange in color)

Im not too sure under full power
That vehicle was thirsty
We should ask TUCK or CR8CRSHR
Tuck/ John is a retired Aerial Boomer

Regardless,
Slowing down to refuel numerous times
And, the SR always had to "Fill up" upon take-off
It never took off full
I think a100 flew a boom too..

Auto Transport Service
Back